James Hird - survivor

So, the two positions for voting at the AGM are Little and Jackson.

So there will be 5 freshly elected directors after the next AGM, and those leaving have high level skills and experience. I like Paul Littles succession planning with Lindsay Tanner and Chris Muir coming in as appointments, with excellent contacts and influence. Heffernan’s background is outstanding, as is Brasher’s. So I can’t criticise the appointments we have on board (so to speak).

The treatment and loss of Hird was a literal tragedy, but in terms of playing the hand that Little was dealt, I think Little has done an outstanding job to set up the club to move forward.

I think the weapons used against us by the AFL made it impossible for Hird, but he did have a hell of a crack, but in the end I think Little mitigated a lot of the damage.

That said, I’m still deflated by the bullying we’ve been subjected to by the AFL, and truly hope that James and his family can emerge from this intact and able to enjoy life, and the players can get enjoyment and success out of their time with EFC and beyond.

FARK the AFL.

Little is nothing more than a puppet of the AFL that was talking tough at the beginning but then did nothing else than what the AFL wanted, and he had an active role in the Hird tragedy.

Little was managing a situation the AFL created in the circumstances where the AFL could dismiss the board and appoint their own, a la Melbourne Storm. Proof he was not an AFL puppet is he didn’t appoint Gauci to the board, where his experience was replacing the leadership of the Storm board when they wanted to fight the NRL, and the AFL media were backing Gauci only to be foiled by 8 votes by the Blitz and Little refused to appoint him.

Instead the Board who were responsible for the ASAGA, has been effectively replaced in an orderly manner by competent, influential, Essendon supporting people.

We are all correct in being disappointed in the treatment of Jimmy, but that was created by the AFL and Little, and Hird in the end, realised the AFL had EFC by the balls and all we could do was try to set up the future post James and post the board who oversaw the ASAGA.

Serious question, do you think an AFL appointed board could have handled the situation any more in line with the AFL’s wishes? What difference could it possibly have made had the AFL actually had the balls to exercise that threat?

Could Little have appointed Gauci? I thought at that point we already had the full quota of appointments so that’s why those positions were elected & we got Cas & Cuz. I have no doubt Gauci was expected to win a seat but I’m not sure how Little could have just appointed another director.

EFC announced the appointment of Tanner and Muir on the 11 March 2015 and so they could have appointed Gauci at that time. In fact Gauci told Little via the press that Little should appoint him after he lost the board election on 11 December 2014:

Little still has the power to himself nominate one more director to take a position on the current nine-person board, a point Gauci raised when contacted on Thursday.
“If the board is interested in taking on additional experience, the chairman has the ability to bring on extra skills if he chooses,” he said.

Rather than be told who to appoint, he has sought out quality EFC supporting candidates who really bring something to the board, see Tanners and Muir’s profiles in the following link. Tanner has been one of the most respected Labor politicians with a background as finance minister, but also presents to the media as a thoughtful compassionate intelligent person, and Muir has a strong background in business and philanthropy and worth about $300,000,000 from memory, both are lifelong EFC supporters.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/our-club/efc-board/club-directors

You are right that the AFL got their way with regard to Hird, what I am saying is the mitigating of damage to the club as a whole is no small achievement, albeit one easy not to appreciate in terms of the justice of the situation, but we learnt very early on the justice wasn’t an option. James fought that as much as he could, and although there still much to play out, it isn’t any longer with Hird as coach. EFC is a part of the AFL, this makes it very difficult for EFC to overtly fight the AFL. What is left is to fight from outside and more subtly from the inside, where that leads in months and years to come, only time will tell.

I would not want this club in the hands of AFL appointments who may not even support the club.

I hope Tania Hird writes a book.

Jesus christ i hope she doesn’t. Fk that’d be embarrasing

Somehow some people on here only experience catharsis by going on and on and on and on.

Others get it by pretending everything’s just peachy keen.
Either way, what’s that got to do with Tania Hird?

So, the two positions for voting at the AGM are Little and Jackson.

So there will be 5 freshly elected directors after the next AGM, and those leaving have high level skills and experience. I like Paul Littles succession planning with Lindsay Tanner and Chris Muir coming in as appointments, with excellent contacts and influence. Heffernan’s background is outstanding, as is Brasher’s. So I can’t criticise the appointments we have on board (so to speak).

The treatment and loss of Hird was a literal tragedy, but in terms of playing the hand that Little was dealt, I think Little has done an outstanding job to set up the club to move forward.

I think the weapons used against us by the AFL made it impossible for Hird, but he did have a hell of a crack, but in the end I think Little mitigated a lot of the damage.

That said, I’m still deflated by the bullying we’ve been subjected to by the AFL, and truly hope that James and his family can emerge from this intact and able to enjoy life, and the players can get enjoyment and success out of their time with EFC and beyond.

FARK the AFL.

Little is nothing more than a puppet of the AFL that was talking tough at the beginning but then did nothing else than what the AFL wanted, and he had an active role in the Hird tragedy.

If you honestly believe that you probably should just sit down in the quiet room. That is so far from the truth as to be absurd.
I know it’s a popular view from the ‘need to make this conspiracy theory stand up set’, but it is just seriously, seriously wrong.
There is plenty to get ■■■■■■ off about in this whole sorry mess without inventing things to push your agenda. Little, and Campbell, and indeed all the board members I have met (which admittedly is not all of them), are as passionate and one eyed about the club as I am. The difference is they are in a very different position to me, and can’t afford all the holier than thou stuff that supporters can. We just make noise. Their behaviour has real world ramifications. They don’t get everything right, no one does. But how some can, on one hand, lambast sections of the media for making judgement without knowing or caring for the facts, and then on the other hand do exactly the same to our board, is beyond me. To say they are just AFL stooges is not only absolutely wrong, but also highly insulting to people who work extremely hard for the club we all love.

Bl00dy well said, Mr Boot.

Somehow some people on here only experience catharsis by going on and on and on and on.

Not peachy, but never likely to reach a conclusion that satisfies all parties.

That’s true, and most rational people realise it.
It still doesn’t, and will never, mean that wrongs should be swept away, hidden and forgotten so ‘we can all move on and be happy’.

So, two reasons to be disgusted.

Okay.

Or just accept that as a club we ****** up, unfortunately in a climate that the fall out was like dropping a mentos into a Coke, so despite the punshiment not fitting the crime in the real world, accept that this is the world that where a bad employment choice has cost the club millions, tainted us for years to come, set our list back 5 years, cost us a premiership window, a favourite son coach, two actually, a CEO, a chairmen, FO manager, assistant coaches, several top 10 players, fitness staff, members, credibility, and passion, and there is still a very real possibility a portion of our list could get banned.

No one thinks things are peachy.

No one thinks the retibution and vitrol that everyone from a 5 year old supporter in school up to James Hird copped was fair.

Some people have the energy to keep fighting that, and feel agreeved by the fact that we have appeared to have given up, and taken our undue lumps

And some accept we had to broom the joint, coach included, and start again.

Some think TIPPA will cleanse our sole.

But no one thinks things are peachy.

Or just accept that as a club we ■■■■■■ up, unfortunately in a climate that the fall out was like dropping a mentos into a Coke, so despite the punshiment not fitting the crime in the real world, accept that this is the world that where a bad employment choice has cost the club millions, tainted us for years to come, set our list back 5 years, cost us a premiership window, a favourite son coach, two actually, a CEO, a chairmen, FO manager, assistant coaches, several top 10 players, fitness staff, members, credibility, and passion, and there is still a very real possibility a portion of our list could get banned.

No one thinks the retibution and vitrol that everyone from a 5 year old supporter in school up to James Hird copped was fair.

Some people have the energy to keep fighting that, and feel agreeved by the fact that we have appeared to have given up, and taken our undue lumps

1. Again, what’s that got to do with finding the idea of Tania Hird writing a book being embarrassing?
  2. You know, fine. But one party came in here slagging the other. Just. Saying.

Or just accept that as a club we ■■■■■■ up, unfortunately in a climate that the fall out was like dropping a mentos into a Coke, so despite the punshiment not fitting the crime in the real world, accept that this is the world that where a bad employment choice has cost the club millions, tainted us for years to come, set our list back 5 years, cost us a premiership window, a favourite son coach, two actually, a CEO, a chairmen, FO manager, assistant coaches, several top 10 players, fitness staff, members, credibility, and passion, and there is still a very real possibility a portion of our list could get banned.

Well put.

1. Again, what’s that got to do with finding the idea of Tania Hird writing a book being embarrassing?

Because it would be the wife of the coach just giving relatively the same side of a story most are tired of. If she was writing a book about horse raising, fine, about this, embarrassing. Embarrassing that we are now down to partners of people affected by the saga writing tell all stories. The only book(s) I would want to read are from her husband and Steven dank, everyone else is just more noise.

Because it would be the wife of the coach just giving relatively the same side of a story most are tired of. If she was writing a book about horse raising, fine, about this, embarrassing. Embarrassing that we are now down to partners of people affected by the saga writing tell all stories. The only book(s) I would want to read are from her husband and Steven dank, everyone else is just more noise.

Wow. Okay.
I’m of the opinion that Mrs Hird has been through as much (ha! as much!) as anyone throughout this bastardry and think any embarrassment from ‘fans’ says a lot more about them than it does her.

I don’t think she’d write a book.
But if she did, I wouldn’t mind reading it.

I’d really love James and Tania to do a step by step personal diary of events from 2012 all the way to now. Much in the same way James wrote his book about the 2002 year (or was it 2003?).
It won’t be received well by the general public, but I’d love to read it.

Wow. Okay.
I’m of the opinion that Mrs Hird has been through as much (ha! as much!) as anyone throughout this bastardry and think any embarrassment from ‘fans’ says a lot more about them than it does her.

I would be interested in her side of the story about what she went through at some stage. But right now I can’t help but think that anyone who is pro that idea would be again hanging onto it as a possible smoking gun rage justifier.

One that would vindicate their conspiricies

But it would just be another voice being miss represented by all who would not give it the real time to digest, just pick it apart to suit more narratives.

That’s what’s embarrassing for me.

I want Essendon to move on after the CAS hearing. Not keep getting dragged back into this ■■■■ again.

It’s embarrassing.

Wow. Okay.

I would be more than interested to read any book she wrote, whether it be “A year in exile” or “Truth about Football” (with apologies to JT). She is a very smart very intelligent woman, she was on the inside the entire time, she was the one taking all the notes so its not like she wont have contemporaneous notes, and she has been done over by the boys club. Even the Chairman of our much loved club wanted to her to shut up and told her so. Absolutely mind boggling in this day and age.
And that is completely separate to anything that happened to her husband.
I will be more than happy to read her book, and I would imagine, just like JG’s misogyny speech was rubbished in Australia and applauded around the world, any book Tania wrote would have a much better reception amongst the global sporting arena.
You go Girl!

Wow. Okay.

I would be interested in her side of the story about what she went through at some stage. But right now I can’t help but think that anyone who is pro that idea would be again hanging onto it as a possible smoking gun rage justifier.

But it would just be another voice being miss represented by all who would not give it the real time to digest, just pick it apart to suit more narratives.

I want Essendon to move on after the CAS hearing. Not keep getting dragged back into this ■■■■ again.

It’s embarrassing.

Okay, we can agree that we’re both embarrassed right now.

You know those who complain that some of us have not entirely moved on, are not obliged to participate in this thread. If you have moved on, good luck to you. But don’t slag off the ones- like myself - that have not.

The only thing I’d say about mrs H writing a book re the saga is that I imagine she could just as easily write a book about all the better things she’s got to do.

Wow. Okay.

It’s embarrassing.

cowardly post

you yourself are allowed to have an interest in hearing what tania has to say sometime in the future, but others cannot have that interest now, and cannot want a book to be published now, unless they want to be considered mouth breathing conspiracy theorists?

then you say its embarassing for you if the book was published because it could get misrepresented? its sad maybe, but how is it personally embarrassing? it aint your book, how you feel is so irrelevant to whether tania would ever want to publish one…

it feels like you dont want the book to be published because you just want the saga to go away, but really do have an interest in what tania might have to say, and instead of acknowledging the slight (but understandable) hypocrisy in those two competing desires, you try to hide that want for info by belittling those who do want it and arent too proud to admit it

Wow. Okay.

It’s embarrassing.

cowardly post

you yourself are allowed to have an interest in hearing what tania has to say sometime in the future, but others cannot have that interest now, and cannot want a book to be published now, unless they want to be considered mouth breathing conspiracy theorists?

then you say its embarassing for you if the book was published because it could get misrepresented? its sad maybe, but how is it personally embarrassing? it aint your book, how you feel is so irrelevant to whether tania would ever want to publish one…

it feels like you dont want the book to be published because you just want the saga to go away, but really do have an interest in what tania might have to say, and instead of acknowledging the slight (but understandable) hypocrisy in those two competing desires, you try to hide that want for info by belittling those who do want it and arent too proud to admit it

Wow!
Don’t mince words Alex.f.94, tell us what you really think!
Great Post.