James Hird Writes for Herald Sun

Nice article but the conclusion is tenuous, at best.

1 Like

I thought Buckley was one of the few that did support Hird?

22 Likes

And that’s how you back your fellow coaches.

Yep, Bucks has always supported Hird, I thought. He refused to kick Hird during the height of the saga when dags like on 360 tried to push him, and he was one of the three (?) who met with Hird when he tried to summon a meeting of coaches to explain himself. Bucks and Hird have always had a good relationship and healthy respect for each other afaik.

10 Likes

He was.

It’s almost as if…there should have been a Coach’s Association doing that work, or something!

16 Likes

Yes I know he was the best of them but he also made some remarks that were critical, eg

The Magpies coach was then asked if he felt sympathy for the position Hird found himself in.

“If my players were being injected, I would know about that. And I would want to know what was in the syringe. That sets the detectors going a little bit more than tablets and powders.”

2 Likes

I’m not looking to start an argument, but Buckley’s comment there is isn’t really a stab at Hird. It’s pretty reasonable.

1 Like

When the AFL players assoc invited coaches to meet with James upon his return to coaching, only Buckley, McKenna and McCartney turned up. Good on them all. Any thoughts that they had they were happy to share with him face to face. Unlike others, sniping from the sidelines and pretending that they were squeaky clean.

7 Likes

I’m also not looking to start an argument but my only memory of Bucks’ views were that he gave a reeeeaaallly tenuous support of Hird with an almost veiled jab when he said something like “I don’t want to say what I really think which are some pretty strong views… but I haven’t really read much on it so I won’t.”

wow those 3 coaches which are almost all out of jobs.

COINCIDENCE?

There are no coincidences, or so my cat keeps telling me.

5 Likes

How do you know it was an anti-Hird view he had? Could easily have been anti-AFL.

2 Likes

It also could have been anti-EFC???

Pumps up Bucks and Pies tyres.

They lose.

Brilliant.

2 Likes

Kinda, you could argue he was sitting on the fence to a point. In any case, I’d take that over the alternative.

Early on when Hird was under attack, Buckley said he had no idea what supplements his team were using, and it wasn’t his job to do so.

It seems, like Alan Richardson’s thoughts on managers breaking the AFL rules by shopping contracted players around, that clubs bosses then told Buckley to shut the hell up.

8 Likes

My god this competition is ****

3 Likes