James Hird Writes for Herald Sun

First time I 'liked" an E12 post. Further demonstrates the ecumenical nature of the “Cult of Hird”.

1 Like

Best not to make it a habit, you will feel dirty in the morning.

James Hird is my hero.

3 Likes

Sir James as a player was extraordinary, but as a person I think he has gone from admirable to another stratosphere.

To have endured this horrible ordeal and come out the other side humble and grateful to those who stuck by him, and to feel empathy and happiness for us, the humble supporters…

We are blessed indeed to have such a man walk amongst us.

11 Likes

“Mike Fitzpatrick should never be allowed back into football”. Humble NSW Fan.

James Hird: champion Human, humble family man.

'#standbyhird

14 Likes

I’m a “lifer” in the Cult of Hird.

12 Likes

I woke up with a smile on my face and ‘Hirdy is back!’ repeating in my head.

I’m so happy for James, his family, friends and us lifer’s :smile:

You are truly loved, James.

6 Likes

I can’t honestly find the words. The man is a champion and classy beyond anything else. Privileged that he is an Essendon man.

8 Likes

I was doing so well reading this article until I got to the little tribute to Tania then I teared up. I’m so pleased and happy to see him doing better and damn straight I’m a lifer. Also makes me wish I still had my little subheading thing under my username - ‘High Priestess in the Cult of Hird’. :smiley:

10 Likes

Legend. Deadset legend.

We love you, Hirdy.

4 Likes

amazingly brave thing to do to come back in to the public domain (at least partly) knowing full well that the chances are, he will get smashed again by the mouth breathers.

How long until Patrick “sets the record straight” again?

Privileged to have been a Bomber in the age of Hird.

6 Likes

Im glad he is back.
And at somewhat of a peace with himself and the universe.

And will look forward to his articles with the HUN. And the year ahead with the team.
ran into a couple of friends yesterday, and they are coming over for round 1 and the march to the G.
Lots to be excited about.

2 Likes

Fitzpatrick would clearly spin it as confirmation that he never said it, carnt that he is.

Great to know that you’re OK JH. The AFL doesn’t deserve you.

6 Likes

I can’t quite find the right words to express my admiration for him. So have liked everyones posts.

19 Likes

Various key moments in this 4-5 year saga are defined in how painful, encouraging, sad, frustrating and exciting they are to so many people. As I read James Hird’s article last night it was a moment of sheer relief that a man I respect was first and fore mostly doing better physically and mentally…nothing was more important than this. I am sure it’s still just beginning steps, we all hope the journey for the Hird family is one of new beginnings and continued peace.

I get asked a lot about James but to be honest I have only met the man once for a meeting we had which was back in 2014 after an article I wrote on him in The Age. Despite that the Hird family is understandably very private and I don’t know them well at all to be blunt. You meet James obviously sometimes at training and he shakes your hand and says thanks for your support…he is a very easy person to read in many respects…humble, quiet but thoughtful. As much as I have never thought James would ever consider abandoning the club it was a healing moment to hear him discuss the club again and respectfully encourage Woosha, Heppell and the idea of the club’s Comeback story….he in many ways attributed his life with the same comeback story message in the article. It was a powerful message and moment as we lead up to the March to the G

James will likely never read this but I just want to publicly thank him as one of the many “Lifers” for his bravery, honesty and integrity shown in today’s article. He means a heck of a lot to me and so many other people. If today has lead only 1 person to call Beyond Blue then it was worth it. Our own personal story through struggle are often the most powerful.

Thankyou James and I hopefully look forward to shaking your hand one day in the crowd with your kids at an Essendon blockbuster that you as a player always lead the way and starred in

39 Likes

So much Hirdy love and respect in this thread compelled me to wear this shirt today…

http://chintaro.net.au/bruce/IMG_2719.JPG

30 Likes

Despite it all he still bleeds red and black. I really admire how he hasn’t let the bastards take that from him

14 Likes

James owns Cacao Hunters?

Hirdy is a wonderful inspiration and to come back from where he has been and what has occurred, only shows the strength of character and commitment of the man and his family.
All best wishes to James Tania and the children.

5 Likes

He’s had to come from a long way back a number of times in his career. That is what makes him such a champion person, as much as anything.

7 Likes