Jason Johannason

Disagree. The definition of elite is “a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.”, which all AFL players are. Some are just more Elite than others!

Huge salami, do not want

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is using the whole population as the ‘group.’
They’re talking about best 22 players.

I use the universe as my group, only way I can be categorized as “intelligent life”!

2 Likes

10 Likes

Feeling inadequate WOB?

4 Likes

So an elite player is one who is superior compared to the group of other players, I’d class that as the top 1% of afl players myself which is a very select bunch.

Anyone who gets in the All Australian team discussions is generally elite IMO

The best of their group of players be it defenders, mids, rucks or fwds.

Although at times a player can have a one off ripper year but can’t back it up consistently.

the irony seems to be lost on come people that most teams or people wouldn’t go to so much time and effort to distract a player if they aren’t worth it, If he was simply taggable they’d just put somoene on him and drown him out that way.

they have to literally try and psyhically intimidate him. that should be the biggest indication how highly opposition teams rate his influence.
sure it’s worked for 2 weeks where as so many have pointed out the whole side has looked lackluster and disinterested.
But considering so many would no doubt have stood up for some of our lesser players over the years and proclaimed them better than they were, Just find it funny how they find flaws in this guy and other teams players so easily and frequently

Dodoro has been playing a long game with JJ, he tried to get him involved in the Crameri trade but the Bulldogs weren’t having a bar of it.

Luckily because If we landed JJ in that trade we wouldn’t have got pick 26 and we wouldn’t have got Zerrett.

But Dodoro obviously rates him and wants him.

A few honesty sessions will be taking place at the dogs atm, if he hasn’t re-signed in the next fortnight he’s more than likely on the way out.

Better than spending their time finding the flaws in their own teams players and constantly putting them down.

I thought it was pick 26 PLUS JJ. Back then I doubt many people even knew this guy existed.

3 Likes

So… elite for their position.
And within those loose positions, there are specialities. Tall, shorter, fast, strong, lock-down, rebound, pack-crash, lead-up, inside, outside, distrubuter, link-man, tap-ruck…what’s elite again?

James Hird was elite, Michael Voss was elite, Nat Fyfe at his best is elite, Gary Ablett is elite.

JJ is not elite.

9 Likes

JJ is not elite. Longevity counts.
He had a great season and an elite finals campaign but for me, you have to back that performance up a second year when teams begin trying different things to put you off your game.

That’s what separates Buddy, Ablett, Hird and Carey from JJ, Travis Cloke and other players who have been elite for short periods but unable to sustain it.

1 Like

2016 finals he had 79 kicks, 26 inside 50s, for 0 goals and 1 goal assist.
If Stanton, Colyer or Melksham ever kicked that badly for us, we’d want their head.

He is absolutely great at getting the ball from one place to another - handball receive, get round one, maybe have a bounce, boot it. Quicker than probably anyone in the league and good penetration on his kicking, which a lot of these uber quick guys don’t have.
He is a terrible, absolutely terrible at making sure that’s in his team-mate’s hands.

That kinda worked for the Dogs last year because they played a shortish forward line, really strong at the loose ball (with Clay Smith, Picken, Stringer and Bont running through there, and basically only Boyd as a marking target )
Teams have worked them out a bit now, and they’re generally playing a taller, less midfielder-ey forward line.

1 Like

The guy is a good player, but surely we need to fix the midfield first?

So…midfielders.

Can you think of an elite HBF’er?

(not that I think JJ is anywhere near elite btw)

Setting the bar to the same height, you’d only have Enright and McLoed that would ever fit the bill.