Jason Johannason

Stevo, yep he also said X Richards was a done deal at essendon

Too much turnover.

2 Likes

I remember when there was all this talk of us getting him and some other player from the doggies with the Crameri deal.

Everyone on this forum was like ‘who?’

Thankfully we ended up with a pick and got Zac Merrett with it.

This.
Spot on.

Doesn’t gel with our “22 on the wing” game plan.

1 Like

Of cause we are chasing a Half Back farkin Flanker

3 Likes

Just can’t seem to get the balance right can we??

Wasn’t long ago people were decrying our recruitment of so many HBF’s, and bemoaning our lack of talls & small forwards.

Jerrett plus a third rounder

1 Like

You’re not the first person who has reacted like this. I don’t get it.

I would have thought it was patently clear that we are severely lacking as far as getting any real drive and zone breaking run from our half back line.
Of course we need to bolster our midfield for sure and this should be priority number one but we are really ordinary in this department.

I’d rank our current needs as:

1. Young inside midfielder
  2. Rebounding half back who is not just ‘ok’ but is A grade in this role
  3. Outside mid with good footskills
  4. Good ruckman
8 Likes

Suddenly it dawns on me that we’ve been drafting HBF’s for over a decade and yet now when they are the most important player on the field our go-to is Martin H Gleeson.

9 Likes

Would rather target Hopper or/& Preuss then draft Nick Hind for that running hb role.

1 Like

So you wouldn’t want a norm smith winner and premiership player, with pace charging off HB delivering the ball to Joey and Hooker?

Instead you want a VFL player

3 Likes

We were into half back flankers before they were cool.

And dude… You’re so mean to Marty.

2 Likes

Ken Oath. Look at Adelaide’s midfield, Sloane aside I’m not sure there’s a genuine A-grade there. Their half back line on the other hand…

McGrath, Hurley, Johannison - as our starting Half Back line we wouldn’t NEED to win it out of the middle.

1 Like

While JJ is a good player (Norm Smith and all that) I suggest watching him a little closer before we take him. He often kicks blindly and straight to the opposition, when under pressure he just wildly kicks the ball away and is actually not great at manning up. His mistakes get covered by a very good side around him, in our side they would stick out like a sore thumb.

He is also not a midfielder and we need one (or a few) of those before we need another half back flanker.

8 Likes

He’d be a whipping boy with us.
Skills are terrible and his difficiency isn’t exposed due to the team he’s in.

We should do what the Bulldogs have done and just draft mids and play them wherever they fit.
Then target specific players for specific roles when you can afford to give up draft picks because you’ve got enough midfield depth to cover it.

3 Likes

No wonder we are an ordinary side, when I see people who wouldn’t want JJ in our side.

Geez, other teams can have good players too!!

He possesses more class than 95% of our list.

a position easily filled if you had a midfield applying pressure and a tall down back intercepting.

we need to prioritise midfield first and foremost if we are going to spend megabucks.

So you wouldnt want a 20yr old contested beast winning us the hardball for the next 10yrs or a 206cm ruckman thats mobile and kicks goals and is still only 22yr old ?

Instead you want to spend 900k + on half back flanker.

I’m all for getting JJ but if the price is excessive forget it, keep an eye out for Hind in the Vfl this year before you put a line through him.

If we got the cap space why not? We obviously saw his talents a long way off when trying to get him at the end of 2013. Back then he was a speculative player, now he is the real deal. You’ll pay a premium because of the fact he is now a Norm Smith Medallist, but if the figure is $700K, by the end of that contract it might look like a good piece of business. His ability to carry the lines off HB is vital in today’s game. I’m also liking the mooted links to Zak Jones. He might be more attainable, especially if the Swans are having cap issues.