John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Personally I think Guelfi will play more half back

I see the midfield going the same way but I would add Fanta to the list.

So if ‘we’ are mostly agreed that the cattle are there… as in already at the club… what needs to happen to turn those players from an average midfield line to an elite one?

They are the bigger picture questions that I have… how do those guys develop together… can they flourish in this style and system? Are we setting them up to fail?

Where does that leave guys like Mutch, Redman, Clarke…? Are we building enough depth.

The Richmond game highlighted there is no point ‘winning’ the midfield battle if you are just going to turn it over… can this group get smarter? I don’t know…

Clarke… he can replace Myers. Plenty of room for him.
Redman… not a mid. But he could be a halfback he runs through there in patches.
Mutch… i’m not convinced by him yet. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

I think considering how young the midfield is, they will improve with time.

But the biggest help would be a cleanout of the assistant coaches and hopefully replaced with some decent ones

All these things you want take a fair amount of time to develop. I agree that we have some obvious deficiencies, but they are being systematically addressed from what I see. I reckon your timeline expectations are not very realistic. You seem to have an “I want it now, so that’s how it should happen” mindset. Building a potent side takes years, not just a season or two.

As to what needs to happen. We need to play like we did against GWS and Geelong. Not so hard. What brought us undone against Richmond wasn’t the game plan, it was Hurley going against it and getting the old chip it sideways and backwards going, which infected everything else. Stop that happening and we are not a bad side. Not a top four side, but not a barrel scraper either. What we are is a work in progress. Strap in and enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

The losses certainly don’t help the negativity, but geez we’re eating each other alive lately. You do cop some uneccesary flak on here though, you normally have a pretty good understanding of how things are unfolding

But your right, I can’t even be bothered mustering up much anymore. It’s just the same old…same old. Pretty disappointing year

1 Like

It generally happens when the team is performing poorly. Some say we are developing, others will say we have been “developing” for 5 years and getting no where.

So remove Hurley and we don’t get smashed by 70pts?

I get what you are saying but I very respectfully disagree. In every aspect of my life I am told “you can’t achieve that in that time frame”… and yet I do. Why? Because I don’t give up and expect/demand more. That isn’t to say I never fail… I regularly fail but that doesn’t stop me creating the next ambitious target and so on.

Yes it can take years to create a juggernaut but it can also happen quicker than you think IF the right pieces are put in place. The main delay in building a strong team has usually been developing the list. Considering you are, typically, only getting 1-2 blue chip players a year… by necessity you either need F/S or trading or a combo to build quickly enough.

Therein lies the greatest divergence in thinking not just on this board but in the wider EFC community in my opinion. Those who think we are still lacking cattle and thus expectations need to be tempered and those who believe we have enough pieces/cattle to be making more progress than we are. Clearly I am in the latter.

This team, from what I see when I don’t watch games, should be far better than 4 wins. Far better. I would agree we are probably not top 4… but we should realistically be in the ‘push’ with sides like Hawks, Geelong, North, GWS, Melbourne, Pies, Port…

I have a lot of time for your opinions on most things boot but I don’t think the Richmond game was just down to Hurleys chip chip (which WAS an issue) but he wasn’t the only one kicking blindly to the 2 free defenders time and time again… not to mention why they were still free after the first 25 times we did it…

Unless your team is winning, dominant and on the verge of a premiership…then I think there will always be an element of “eating each other alive”. We used to pay out other teams because perhaps some of us didn’t really understand just how frustrating never ending failure is.

I don’t mind the flak… even though they think they are being the “positive” voice of support… it really often highlights their own internal frustration and disappointment otherwise they wouldn’t care passionately enough to respond.

Derision perhaps isn’t the finest tool of learned discussion but who are we to judge others who may not have any other tools to use?

For me the crisis is not when people are angry but when people move past that into ‘acceptance’. A bit like a marriage that moves past arguments and into a comfortable but dispassionate calm. I hope you regain your spark soon and I hope for all of us that they find a way to make our club great again. I’m sure the club is well aware that we stand on the edge of footballing abyss if they don’t fix this soon. It will fall away pretty quickly if we continue to be this pathetic.

Doesn’t help when certain posters act all high and mighty and anytime someone brings up valid points of criticism they get hit with trolling or the old “ go support someone else”.

Worsfold is into his 3rd season as coach, it’s only fair that people start expecting results( this isn’t aimed at you Wob)

2 Likes

Any chance we can get into the finals before people of my age, snuff it. We are patiently waiting and sometimes not so patiently, but we are also running out of time. Fingers crossed we make it soon.

Then again, I suppose my younger friends can bring the radio to the cemetery.

1 Like

Back to the pre saga blitz.

I think we are a lot closer than our results would suggest. Change of coaching regime and we could have saved this season, but they still might make the change at the end of the season hopefully.

I firmly believe the core elements of the list are in place… right coaching, attitude and game plan and I truly believe we could become a viable contender very quickly.

Sadly in my opinion there is zero chance of long term success under Woosha. Zero. However no matter where you stand on any issue… we ALL have our fingers crossed that we make it soon!!

1 Like

Yeah, well that’s because he posts every…second…friggen…post…in…every…friggen…thread.

4 Likes

And 500 words at a time, when 20 would do.

3 Likes

Do you actually think what supporters think has anything to do with anything?

1 Like

Its kinda funny that only a few hours ago we were talking facts vs opinions.

Facts: You have visited 464 days and posted 6.2K times, at an average of 13.36 per day. I have visited 351 days and posted 3.5K times, at an average of 9.97 per day. So you have both more posts and more average posts per day than me. So if I am posting every second post in every second thread, you and I must be the only two posters on this site!

Now that would be facts, opinion would be that you FEELl I post “every second post in every friggen thread” because you both dislike what I say and how I go about saying it.

So, as was pointed out to me kindly earlier, you should have been clearer in your choice of words. Normally I would leave it at that, but tonight I will say that I feel what you are participating in is a very common form of online bullying, or attempted bullying, where you attack another person that you don’t know because you feel justified by a sense of groupthink or entitlement because others feel the same as you and/or you feel protected by the cloak of internet anonymity.

I bring that up because I live in a community that was forced to bury a 13 year old child last week because he committed suicide. This is not the first youth suicide in our community and it is a growing, rampant issue. This young man choose to hang himself, the family has indicated, partly due to online bullying. I was involved in the periphery of this young persons life in a pastoral and educational capacity and it has shaken me to the core. It has made me question whether regular people such as yourself are aware of the possible consequences of your actions and opinions. Whilst I can openly and honestly say your post (and others) little effect on me due to my life stage and mental awareness, I wonder how I would feel about your post if I were a younger person, or a more vulnerable person. I wonder how it would make me feel to be attacked or intimidated on a personal level rather than on the merits of an argument, especially when I had not done the same to you.

So feel free to keep attacking me if you wish but I hope you (and others) will stop to consider your words just in case the next person you attempt to belittle and invalidate is a young person struggling to find acceptance in this world. No one forces you to read my posts or engage with my thoughts at all, simply keep scrolling and nothing more needs to be said.
The averages suggest that I post less than 10 times a day, surely it can’t be that much of a irritation in your life that you need to belittle and berate me for it and encourage others to do the same? I would have no idea how many posts are made on this site on a daily basis, but I can only imagine that my 10 contributions (even as long and boring as they are) surely represent a very tiny portion of that. I refuse to believe that humanity has lost the ability to be respectful of others and their right to an opinion. I hope you, and anyone else reading this, will become the change that needs to happen to make the internet a healthier, friendlier and happier place for all. Good night and good luck.

1 Like

This raises a really interesting point to me, and one that I’ve noticed over a long period of time on this site. Perspective.
Both of these polarised sides seem to be of the impression that ‘the other side’ is the one doing the ‘bullying’. I find it interesting because being on one of the sides myself, I try, but can’t actually see it from the other perspective. So I imagine, as people like JD06 and WOB have said - that it feels for you guys around the same as it feels for me.
We all should think about that for a bit.

Never mind

Woo

Are you saying we should all get in touch with our feelings?