John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

How come 2 weeks ago against the tiges we kicked the ball blindly into the forward line a million times, we couldn’t hit the side of a barn if it was the target, and our ‘new game plan’ was nowhere to be seen?
The pressure applied by WCE was poor so we looked good. Nothing to do with a new game plan or a different dynamic in the coaching box. The players found their mojo a few weeks back and let’s hope they can keep it for a while.

4 Likes

It makes a huge difference when guys don’t turn the ball over
It makes a huge difference when guys go as hard as they can all game long

I don’t think either failing were part of a plan as such.

3 Likes

And it makes a huge difference when the opposition dont pressure the ball carrier.

Helps when we play on instinct and with agression.

Why is it always about the oposistion playing poorly when we win? kinda a sick of it tbh Essendon won’t get any credit during the week you watch.

2 Likes

Yes you are.

1 Like

indeed you big fat phony.

1 Like

I know it’s boring and fits no narrative but mine, but maybe, just maybe, these things take time and a level of buy in that doesn’t come without a deal of pain.

4 Likes

Sure, if you want to ignore things like ‘we don’t tag anyone’ compared to ‘we tag two midfielders.’

Yeah I get that… I’m not saying it’s been perfect. What I’m saying is when both coach and captain say there’s a problem with buy in… then there’s a problem with buy in.

I dislike singling out players, but Hurley is a case in point. When he plays the high possession chip around game we struggle… as we did in the Dreamtime game. When we take the brave kick and trust each other we get results … like last night.

2 Likes

So if I get you right, what you’re saying is - Hurley makes the game plan?

I agree with you about Hurley.
It’s nice to agree with you about something.

1 Like

Joe being out meant our forward line and there B grade quality had to play the gameplan.

Joe is brilliant but the kick it on my head rubbish doesn’t help the team.

Since he has been on the sidelines we have been way better. I think it’s more than coincidence.

No. I’m saying when players are under pressure and lack confidence they revert to what they know. Hurls has been our barometer this year in this respect.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know.
It’s Friday night.
I’m a little hysterical.

1 Like

Lolz oops… still in work mode :smile:

1 Like

How about the fact that he a debilitating groin injury robbing him of his pace, power and lateral movement?

2 Likes

Oh totally.

It probably comes off really harsh my last post. His injury absolutely 100% impacted his ability to lead etc.

1 Like

We are not a better team because Joe isn’t playing. We are a better team because the guys who aren’t injured are playing better than they were.

1 Like

I think you’re right in a way.

The temptation when you have someone like Joe - who can do pretty much everything - is to just kick it in his general direction and let him do the rest.
It’s forced a re-think of how we move the ball forward. Brown is good enough as a leadup but not much else, Smack is OK at a contest (either contested mark or at least creating crumbs) but not much else. They’re both a fair step down, which means we need to rely a lot more on smalls.
With no Joe, it’s really put it back on the guys delivering to put it to the right side for those guys (on Smack’s head / out in front for Brown).

Always intriguing how these dynamics work.

EDIT: also think a pretty impressive feather in the cap for the coaches to cobble together a winning fwd line with M Brown and McNernan

4 Likes

I’m tipping that this point, and it’s a very astute point, would ever be acknowledged by the gloomer fraternity headed by the likes of darkknightphoenix and wimmera1.

1 Like