John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

I think our defence is elite. Our structure doesn’t give them a lot of protection, but I think we have exceptional proven talent back there.

I think our midfield is above average. The addition of Shiel shifts almost everyone down a rung on the pecking order, theoretically putting them all up against a weaker opponent. Extra minutes from Stringer in the centre would improve us again.

I think our forward line is elite. We had this mostly right in 2017 and we were arguably the 2nd best forward line in the comp that year. However 2018 nothing went right. Fully fit, being served by a better midfield, I can see us easily getting back to where we were.

Our depth is good. Our list build is well thought out. Get enough injuries in a particular area of the field and we will get caught out. But generally we have solid coverage in most positions.

Game plan. Let’s hope it is evolving.

Hunger and determination I think is elite.

Need some luck and we will be in it up to our eyeballs.

2 Likes

Not winning a final in 14 yrs means nothing to me after the Tigers and Dogs won premierships

Im all in.

9 Likes

Its much harder now and that’s why everyone raves about a two peat or a three peat performance - they are much b1oody harder to win now than they have ever been because of the changing landscape. But; we’ve got the desire and hunger to get there to have a shot.

Too much too soon, we’ve got to get there and sustain the glory. Our time is coming.

1 Like

That’s one of my most hated phrases too. It’s like they are implying winning one final is enough, the goal is set too low. Making the top four is the minimum goal imo, then of course, winning the GF is the ultimate goal.

1 Like

Who’s our Rowan Jones??

Yep Mike, as Barnesy sang at the GF, there is no second prize.

Flag or nothing for me.

2 Likes

I want to win a flag too, and that is the most important thing, clearly.

But make no mistake, if we win a final next year I am going to drink myself into a coma in celebration

11 Likes

Fucken oath

1 Like

I plan to do the same if we don’t make finals, too

12 Likes

And if we play round 1, and either win or lose, I’ll be doing the same.

6 Likes

Team Selection is going to be key next year. With a fully healthy list there are 30 blokes with claims to a best 22 spot.

Juggling potential, performance, team balance and standards is going to be hard.

We need to get it right and we need to be brave and make the hard calls.

1 Like

Our Sydney game on fox at the moment

I agree they are harder.

The last few years are testament to that but there is also opportunity.

I think we have the side on paper, and if they commit to the cause like they did in the second half of last year we are right in it.

Shiel puts us in the equation but it’s itsvghe improvement from Langford, Parish, McGrath and gang that will decide whether we can truely challenge.

I think we are a real show next year and beyond.

1 Like

Worsfold is a premiership player/coach and knows what it takes to win 1. Of course 2006 was some time ago as coaching methods and game plans have changed since then.

Externally, supporters have witnessed the teams evolution over the last couple of years and players desire to be known for something, to have a brand of footy that stands up in the big games. This excites because that messaging has been missing from Essendon for years.

Pressure/expectation from all quarters (internally, externally) will be fierce. Wonder how well Worsfold and the team handles that? A finals win is the bare minimum. Given the list, anything other than a prelim should be viewed a bust.

Failing to make the finals or chalk up a win should see Worsfold moved on for a “modern” coach (Egan anyone?). As harsh as it sounds (because he has made progress with the team), his methods may be lacking when it comes to bridging the, winning finals gap. Having said that it feels like he has the team primed to break their duck. Here’s hoping for all our sakes!

Head coach is the toughest role in footy bar none.

At 50 and the same age as Clarko I really don’t think he should be thought of as past it.

We’ve made two key appointments in the past 12 months. Richo to handle the ops and Rutten for defensive strategies. I think these two will compliment Wooshas skills a lot.

3 Likes

He hasn’t made progress with the team.
He took a better list than the previous year to a worse position.

4 Likes

Same win/loss, same percentage.

Lost his main forward line in JoeDan, Hooker, Stewart, Green and Raz, to injury, position change and form. Replaced most of the midfield and had to start that section over again.

But I know facts are irrelevant to the story.

9 Likes

Facts?
Results are facts.
Your explanation is spin.

Worsfold has more to prove than Knights did.
He achieved as much with a far worse list.

Spin? Facts of injuries are spin? We had a third string forward line, we basically replaced our midfield and you call that spin? Nuts.

2 Likes

Go ahead and compare the Knights elimination final team with Worsfold’s.
Let me know what you think.

And our third string forward line was when we were winning. Oops.

Our season was over after round 8.
Probably before, if you work it out.

I hope Worsfold can bring it all together this year, but it is a hope.
It’s certainly not based on results thus far.
Who knows, maybe he can get 14 wins, equal with Hird.
Again, with a far superior list.

There’s no-one at Essendon right now, no-one, with more to prove than Worsfold.

2 Likes