John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

For mine the biggest factor was the mentality of the players.

3 Likes

At the start, yes, in part and the players addressed that as they should. However other factors still played a part (despite what some want to blather on about). We screwed up the start of the year and it wrecked our season but there were factors that contributed to that happening and they were addressed and the results started showing.

I gave Woosha a tick based on the second half of the year.

I am a fan although I would like to see him give more kids opportunity.

The list is in good shape and we have a very good coaching panel so now it’s up to the players.

1 Like

eek

2 Likes

I think you’re right, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we came pretty close this season.

If you think 10.5 is the same as 12, you’ve got a different definition of fact than I do. But whateverx

The last EFC coach to have two successive 12 win seasons was Kevin Sheedy, in 03-04.

Facts are fun.

We need to keep improving. But pretending everything was the same this year as last year is very, very silly.

4 Likes

The most important thing to me is how we react when the other side tries to close down our strengths- stop us coming through the corridor at speed etc.

We got right on top of Hawthorn and Collingwood, but then they just shut us down.

Even fark Carlton just take in a defensive mindset, and we struggle to overcome it.

FFS when they have a loose men or loose men in the backline, look…and make sure you kick the ball to our guys, or at least away from them…and FFFFS don’t leave them with 2 or even 3 men loose.

5 Likes

You’re right in those two examples. Though you can look at other games where teams did shut us down and we still got through. Of course, those teams (port, Freo, Brisbane to name a few) are not as good as the Pies and Hawks were but it showed that against teams around us and below, we can still push through.

Key is now being able to do it against teams above us

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. We did go from 8th to 11th however I think we made progress from the previous years, just that more teams went past us quicker in 2018. Be it due to a soft draw, luck with injuries or capitalised on our poor start.

I think we effectively took one step back to go two steps forward. From a win/loss perspective we are back where we started but we have more in the tank to go further. The game plan in 2017 would not have held up in finals football or big games, however I reckon our new style that we played in 2018 will hold up.

7 Likes

No. We aren’t there yet. Our game plan needs more layers, as others have said.

I too am concerned that we may not have the coaching staff to build those layers into our game plan.

However the back end of 2018 was very encouraging, so I’m going into preseason relatively positive.

1 Like

The players had no farking idea what they where supposed to be doing at the start of the year. There was so much finger pointing and confusion.

That to me is a lot to do with the coaching.

Things changed drastically when neald left. Coincidence? Perhaps, but the fact remains, we looked a totally different side.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Woosha will let Bellchambers play in any final we reach.

(NatRat was close to our best player, but that doesn’t mean it was a sane decision!)

3 Likes

2019 our best 25 looks as capable of making and winning a final as any in the past 15 years imo.

2019 is the year of no excuses

5 Likes

Agree with this. It took us time to learn to play without Joe and Hooksy in the forward line. As it turns out we should be ok if his rehab doesn’t go to plan.

1 Like

Everyone needs to go back and watch the second Richmond game. The first 3 quarters were absolute trash. Timid, hesitant, sloppy and giving the opposition WAY too much respect. The last quarter is the style I want to see next season. Daring, speedy, quick decision making, and a feeling of not worrying about stuffing up. Take the game on, and if you bugger up there’s 17 teammates to back you up.
The talent is there, if they put it all together watch out.

3 Likes

When we can do that consistently, there won’t be anyone above us.

2 Likes

I think you a right AC.

The standout difference which we haven’t seen in years is a much stronger finish to the season.

If we can keep TBC and Smack on the ground I expect we will win a final or two this year.

With no Leuey and Draper still a little green, we could well end up with a scenario where we may need Draper in the finals. Fingers crossed for TBC, but we can’t as easily manage him next year without an AFL ready ruck support.

So it’s not necessarily all about Woosha. But hopefully he makes better choices than Knights if left with the choice of a Draper vs say an Ambrose.

1 Like

My guess would be Footscray in 2016, but before that you’d probably have to go back to Richmond in 1967, who from memory went from winning nothing at all for decades to premiers in 1967 thanks to a few blokes called Hafey and Hart and Clay and Barrott and some others as well.

Hird wins- 11, 11, 14 and 6.
Woosha - 3, 12, 12
Woosha now has a borderline top 4 list for 2019, taking into account the addition of Shiel, Goddard pruned, Langford stepping up etc.
Woosha will win a lot more in his 4th year than Hird.
EFC primed to get some dividend from Woosha.

3 Likes

Just asking to be as good as Hird in his third, who had this team.