John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

hugs

Blitz feels so good, so smooth…

1 Like

Sounds amaaaazing, doesn’t it?
There’s a police horse outside. Wanna pat it?

2 Likes

Boom boom

1 Like

You guys are gonna be best friends for…ever!

A very relaxed Woosha.

1 Like

I better get a love actually from him this Xmas

1 Like

Wooshas haircut

3 Likes
5 Likes

WHERE’RE THE CHAINZ BOYZ

BY WHOM???

3 Likes
Essendon coach John Worsfold completes fun run, declares Bombers ready to hit ground running

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
November 10, 2018 8:21pm

JOHN Worsfold says Essendon has the personnel to mount a serious challenge next season and will spend summer devising ways to [close the gap to the top sides]

On Saturday, Worsfold stormed through the 20km Upstream Challenge run to raise money for youth mentoring foundation Raise, and then declared his Dons ready to hit the pre-season ground running.

“I think most people are saying now that our squad looks really strong,” Worsfold told the Herald Sun

“We’ve addressed the areas we needed to over the last two or three years, so I think we’re coming together.

“There’s not too much more we need to add to our squad. We need to build the chemistry now.”

Essendon limped to a 2-6 start this year, but a 10-4 run home, a virtually clean bill of health for pre-season and [the addition of Dylan Shiel] has combined to heighten excitement levels

“I think we can match it with all the good teams. We showed that towards the end of this year,” Worsfold said.

“We’ve still got a gap to close … and that’s what our hard work is going to be about this pre-season.

“Other teams will be aiming to improve as well, so it’s not as easy as just saying ‘We’re better’.”

The AFL’s raft of new rules and interpretation adjustments will be implemented in a bid to make the game more consistently easy on the eye.

Worsfold said attractive football was important to him … to a point.

“I’m also conscious that it depends on the strength of what your squad is,” he said.

“We’ve recruited some speedy guys and we’ve got a pretty potent forward line so we should be aiming to move the ball fast to our dangerous forwards as quickly as possible and therefore try to be a high scoring team.

“We do have to improve our team defence. We’ve been sitting around 11th and 12th the last couple of years and that’s not going to cut it if you want to finish high up on the ladder.

“But I like people to talk about good games and the buzz after the Grand Final, the people I’ve spoken to just really enjoyed the game. That’s what it’s all about.”

Five years after running in the New York Marathon resulted in him needing knee surgery, Worsfold knew the 20km Upstream Challenge would be exactly that, but he was happy to hurt for an important cause.

“I am pretty passionate about youth mentoring. The biggest issue with kids is getting them to talk and not trying to solve their problems, but just talking about listening to them,” he said.

“Raise do a great job and I thought if I could help a little bit that would be a good thing.”

10 Likes

It’ll be about bringing everyone together to work as a seamless team. The fitness bit is a given and that takes care of itself. It’s learning and executing the game plan that they need to work on and on and on and on until it happens with confidence and without hesitation.

2 Likes

Willing take 8 weeks for them to come together? Or do we need to sack Harvey this time?

This is the version that they get in the papers up in places like Toowoomba and Dubbo.
Like a chicken with the thighs and breasts removed.

1 Like

IMHO, there were issues beyond ‘team chemistry’ last year. But granted it was an issue with three new best 22 players all in different positions on the ground and it was predicted before the season started, so I can’t say it wasn’t a contributing factor. This year with only one major addition (something a number of other clubs who were active in the trade period share). So no real excuses. Woosha even said he’s looking for a strong start to 2019, and he should be judged on that.

My sources in Dubbo indicate that this may or may not be a good article. Make of that what you will.

2 Likes

We’re from Dubbo Ray

I always thought it was more about who we lost from 2017 into 2018. I was pretty pessimistic going into 2018 and surprised how many we ended up winning.

A lot of guys who played big chunks of midfield time - Watson Howlett Bird Hocking Stanton - left; and Goddard/Kelly stopped getting any midfield time at all. Plus Colyer missed the first half of the year (played all of 2017), and Myers missed the start of the year.
That adds up to a significant amount of change, change of roles and a lot of new faces.

This year we’ve only lost Colyer who played any midfield time last year.

5 Likes

Exactly.

It wasn’t just SSS coming in causing lack of chemistry. We had McGrath, Langford, Guelfi all essentially in first year in midfield. It took time for our whole midfield to get some cohesion and to settle on effective combinations as well.

We also had a fwd line that was completely patched up compared to previous years functioning fwd 6. 100 goals b/w JD & Hooker

This all happening whist the players were trying to embed a new game style and lot of the group & other line coaches for that matter hating the key messenger (Neeld). There was not complete buy in from group until he went.

Once they did we killed it really and were only hijacked by key injuries to Smack (fwd structure needed him) and Raz in particular.

3 Likes