John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

I’d be happier if the hype around us was limited to - we feel we’ve improved our list for 2019 so we believe we can close the gap to the top teams.
I think woosha is saying this, but the hype in the media and among fans seems to ignore the other critical factors that have to fall our way for success.

1 Like

Whether it is the recipe for sucess or disaster,there are several ingredients that mix to form the end result.

Id say,from my uniformed view,the different factors that defined our 1st 8 rounds,to the rest of the season were-

Rounds 1-8:
-A greater focus on defensive structures,that took from the more offensive nature of previous years.
Some players found this difficult,and structures during games broke down.

-Communication issues within the coaching ranks.I have no idea if Neeld was a major factor,but things improved quickly after his departure.

-New players adjusting to club/game style/team mates.

-Heppell conceded to the group,that the leaders/senior guys weren’t giving their maximum.Again,who knows how far off max that was.

-JD playing injured.

• The forwards playing too high in general.

**After we lost to Carlton,we came out and beat Geelong,with a total lift in intensity from every player.

Round 9>>>

-The Geelong game became the template for effort and intensity.
From here on,we were far more united with this,and it is understated just how important it is in determining the outcome of a game or season.

-The balance between defence and attack appeared to correct itself,not sure how,but it was easy to see when the boys were transitioning. This is where the coaches may have conceded an over correction in the new system taught over preseason. Or the players finally getting it. Or a combination of both.

-New players finding their feet.
-An adjusted forwardline functioning well,with Smack and Bags the big surprise contributors.

There are reasons others may also know of, but when you look at it, 2018 was as good a season as you could hope for without making finals.

Mistakes were made.People were honest and then solutions were found.

Now we have that to take into 2019,knowing what works,and knowing we have the best and healthiest list we have had in years.

As big Kev used to say-
“I’m excited!”

10 Likes

Great summary.

3 Likes

I must break you

4 Likes

Not sure about that club had all pre season to gel and have chemistry with the new players i think it’s more to do with how John and co were coaching in those first few rounds which was horrendous

Waiting for that pic to become somebody’s avatar

Second best worsfold pic to come out of the day.

3 Likes

lol right

Here’s a little help, late in the season Smith commented that he was still adjusting to his new team mates and game setup.

I know you hate the guy but seriously, stay with facts not fiction.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: ?? “Photo of Coach on the job”
I must be missing something, …

You are. Look at his avatar.

4 Likes

@Riolio avatar is the best one.

2 Likes

i keep imagining him wearing the hat and sunnies with a trenchcoat… and nothing else

blink

Johnny%20The%20Flasher

7 Likes

Never said I hate the guy I just question his coaching some times

DECKINGTON!!

Welcome back Nino! we missed you over trade week!

3 Likes

Who’s “We” Kemosabe??

1 Like

a little kemosabe?

1 Like