John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Calling @stander2

1 Like

Won’t play finals we blew our chances loosing to ■■■■ sides like Dogs,Freo,Carlton.

Best we can hope for is to continue to play this way for the remainder of the season and if we get wins along the way it’s a bonus

The football department needs a review and clean out for our diabolical start to the season

2 Likes

He’s rummaging through his bag of positive quotes. This may take awhile.

1 Like

The single worst bit now is the genuine mouthbreathers who reckon “miss tackles, don’t run and handball backwards” was the gameplan up until last week.

6 Likes

It’s really not.

He’ll keep…

What does that even mean?

You think handball backwards, miss tackles and not run was the plan?

Or that you think that was the case and that’s not an idiotic point of view to hold?

1 Like

I think you’ve had a little too much to drink and are spoiling for a fight.
As you’ve said, my position hardly needs repeating.
Good day to you, sir.

I don’t enjoy listening to Dunstall, but he was right during the week when he said you can’t make informed criticism from outside as you’re blind as to the things that matter. So as a complete uninformed guess I’d say the 3 major causes of the turnaround are

1. Sacking Neeld changed the emotion within the playing group and they responded with a bit more edge, aggression and focus towards implementing the intended game style - as they realised their lack of cohesion just got a coach sacked;
  2. playing a few younger players gave us fresh legs, enthusiasm and made a few senior players realise their careers could end quickly;
  3. we caught cats and GWS at the right time.

and 3 non-issues -

1. reverting to some other game plan;
  2. hooker should play back (he should play where he is needed - and with no Hawkins or Patton that may have been forward)
  3. any suggestion that worsfold changed anything fundamental.
1 Like

Cats maybe, but I wouldn’t agree on “catching” GWS at the right time. Wasn’t like we opened up an unassailable lead, they kept coming at us, we just outran them.

The Essendon of 4 weeks ago would have lost to GWS when they were coming but absorb the pressure and then went for the killer blow in the last that pleased me the most.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, … but he couldn’t be more right on this.

So You don’t think beating Geelong GWS and lets say for the moment Richmond doesn’t balance losing to Dogs Blues and Freo? You had us winning all 6??

Granted we haven’t beaten Tigers.
Richmond game becomes pivotal given those poor loses.

4 weeks ago essendon wouldn’t have got into a position where GWS needed to come at us. By 3/4 the game would have been over

2 Likes

It’s been quite a turn around.

1 Like

Hitting targets and not fumbling all the time has made a massive difference too. It doesn’t matter what the game plan is, all of those unforced errors were killing us.

2 Likes

Since Neeld left Worsfold looks more active in the coaches box and with the players it’s almost like the shackles have been released and he’s now coaching properly.

6 Likes

Does anyone else sort of wish the post match presser could be done in two parts? The first part can be all the usual stupid, inane questions and the second part could actually provide some insight.

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

The most encouraging thing is that the team seems to have spirit again. Team mates backing each other up, recognising each other for their work (Ie stringer picking up bags after his tackle), you feel a slight culture shift which is one of the best parts of our turnaround.

12 Likes