John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

How much time do people think a coach needs to bring their list/game plan together?
And do they reset the clock when a new coach comes in?

Quick success doesn’t happen, but that gets ignored for the expectation of a quick flag.

2 Likes

Well Chris Scott managed to have sufficiently little influence on the Cats playing list and won a flag in his first year.

So I think that answers the question.

1 Like

Dunno

The latest two flag coaches have won it in their 5th and 8th seasons, respectively. Buckley finally made progress in his 7th year.

Worsfold’s just finished his 2nd with a list, plus 2016.

The knives are, seemingly, premature.

We need to accept mediocrity ™ for a few more years. Clearly.

2 Likes

Remember where you are.
Premature is the name of the game around here.,

We’ve traded in mature players for the last two years rather than using early draft picks.
The time is very, very clearly now.

Sometime in the next five years I would think looking at our list.
The earlier the gooder re Hooker and Hurley.

3 Likes

5 years is amibitious, i’d say 4 tops before key parts of our spine slow down.

Time shouldn’t have anything to do with it when you have such a strong list.

I think it’s reasonable to have high expectations considering the talent on our list and the progress made in the second half of this season.

One way to view it.
You could also look at the overall shape of the list, and realise we’ve actually got nobody important who’s on their last legs, unlike recent years.
Even including the 25 (ish) year olds we’ve traded in.

All a matter of perspective, glass half full or glass half empty.

Agree.
That’s why my second line.
But if we can cover their retirement, the our age demographic stretches things out a bit.

1 Like

i actually think hurley breaks down before hooker. nothing to back this up, just a hunch.

Hooker’s 30. Realistically we should be planning for him to be done after 2019 or 2020.
TBC is 29.
Hurley and Zaha are 28.

I think we’re well placed to have guys up to speed to take over from all of them.

the problems happen when you have a glut of important guys all going at the same time. I don’t think we’re going to have that.

1 Like

They’re not going to get any better next year (2020), though, are they.

My glass is full to brimming.

1 Like

This is our strongest squad of players since the early 2000’s. If he can’t guide this team to at least one finals win next season he should be let go.

I am fully confident we will win at least one final next season. First time in a long long time we are playing a style that will stand up in finals and win finals.

3 Likes

Hooker, probably not.

The rest - not sure why they wouldn’t?
TBC has had two career best years in a row. Myers playing as well as he ever has. Mitch brown and McNernan had very much improved years as well.

I can’t believe this wasn’t discussed previously

3 Likes

Which? The spelling or the punctuation?

5 Likes

Why am I the only one here who cops it for what I think of Worsfold? plenty worse on here than me.

2 Likes

Yeah, you get it tough.

3 Likes