John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Spin is an amazing thing!

2 Likes

Yes but if you’ve spent 3.5 years implying Worsfold is an utter idiot, and he’s presently getting most things right, you grasp everything you can to re-enforce a point.

It’s the exact same “thinking” as BF trolls had 2010-2014. When we lost, Hird was doing all the coaching - when we won, it was all Thompson’s doing.

2 Likes

It’s the same as the problem I have with the way stats are used.
Too many use them as a drunk uses a lamp-post - to prop themselves up, instead of for illumination.

4 Likes

Reckon we’re all going to be a lot more bullish about our efforts when the Lions roll the Pies on Thursday night. Young or not, they are a quality outfit. Some on here lamented that we didn’t blow them out of the water after half time, I put it down to the Lions persistence. They are well coached and their recent wins have given them belief that they can come from behind.

A lot of people here reading tea leaves regarding the game plan and players comments. Even in the round 1 debacle we were playing very direct football (matching GWS for i50s) skill errors simply meant we couldn’t retain possession and turned the ball over too often.

Frankly, I don’t buy the whole ‘freedom to play’ thing in any literal sense (freedom of mindset perhaps?) for several reasons:

1. Our defense was very well organised on the weekend; as noted by the commentators and many on here. We had an effective press but the discipline not to allow easy over the top goals. That’s coaching.
  2. Our ‘gameplan’ (Whatever that means). There are two things that we do well when we win, our well documented ‘sling shot’ football using our pace through the middle. What we get less credit for is our possession game, particularly when we are in the lead. Many of last seasons big wins (think WC and Geelong) were built upon explosive quarters, but consolidated by second halves where we retained the ball and took the ‘sting’ out of the game. The Lions had a fair bit of the ball in the second half on the weekend but we didn’t give them much to work with, our ball movement was more conservative and they received no easy goals that would allow them to build momentum. Clearly a team direction in my opinion.
  3. The ‘tap ons’ in 2019. This is a brand new feature of our game and the most clear example of Rutten’s impact. Richmond are masters of knowing when to take possession and when to use the space, and it suits our leg speed to a tee. Again, clearly a team direction.
14 Likes

All great points.

I think that the ‘freedom to play’ references are alluding to reverting to a system closer to that that they were familiar with.

They were very confused by the system installed for JLT and see reverting to a compromise as ‘freedom to play’.

You could feasibly read the “freedom” comments as players just losing a bit of confidence & getting into their own heads after a few bad weeks.

Coaches had a week where they just told the players to go out and play & take the game on.

It’s not necessarily anything to do with the system/plan at all.

Confidence, or lack thereof, is an amazing thing in any sporting team.

(And agree the coaches have gotten almost everything right the past 2 weeks. Getting there.)

1 Like
2 Likes

Always speaks to the media at the Hangar… No plan B.

2 Likes

That was good. Definitely changes coming up with short break in mind.

1 Like

sounds like we have a plan

Just one.

1 Like

where did Woosha get his shiner from?

You may be able to shed some light on this but I am wondering how different “the rutten thing” is compared to how we are playing.

And is the way we are playing unsustainable for 26 weeks? Is The Rutten Thing more likely to win us finals than the style we are playing now?

Probably have to see how we go over the next 4 or so week to see which method would work better

a%20plan

My only concern is that the style that Woosha, Rutten etc are trying to instill is one that will hold up in finals and the style of “freedom” won’t.

It certainly is. I quite enjoy reading comments that talk up Buckley as a master of coaching. But this is a guy who probably should have been sacked and was only saved because McGuire threw him a hail Mary of a contract extension because it would have almost been the end of the president as well.

1 Like

You’re free to feel concerned, but perhaps you should be more discerning about who/what you listen to.

You’re trusting Finding nino, DKP, and another 4 or 5 vocal posters on here actually to know more about the internal workings of the club than the actual senior coach.

2 Likes

That fact, to me, just highlights the fickleness and shallowness of the commentators in this sport. They feed on the trend of instant satiation.

1 Like

Yep.

He was a great coach 5 games ago, but he’s forgotten how to coach now.

It’s depressing.

1 Like

baldrick-cunning-plan-gif

3 Likes