John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

I think the real Fight Club will be be anyone who gets between BombDoe and his love of Dean Martin.
See above posts.
Jeez, he had a go at me once for implying Deano might have liked a drink or two ( or twenty )

2 Likes

The master coach.

I love Deano’s definition of drunk, and have used it ever since l first heard it. He said, " You are not drunk if you can lie down on the ground… without holding on."

1 Like

This is a very extreme take on what I have implied.

I have most certainly not implied that everyone involved is an absolute clown nor have I implied that I know more than the coaches. These are your very descriptive observations.

What I have implied is that a new game plan was taught pre season. The players didn’t grasp it. The coaches disagreed, met and abandoned it. I do not know if it was Rutten led. That was my assumption which I stated several times. I do not know if parts of it were kept and incorporated into the way we are now playing however the change was significant.

I believe this to be absolutely true. I think that the way we played in the JLT and the comments by Zach and Shiel support it (however I can also see other reasons as to why they would say what they said). I believe that Hutchy alluded to it on his show a couple of weeks ago (I am away and didn’t see it). I believe that other journos are aware of this and had we lost st to Melbourne would have dug deeper.

I’ve been on Blitz since 2013 and I reckon I have put forward info maybe 3 or 4 times. I get it rarely. Another piece was a few days ago. I can’t recall any other times but 6 years on here is a while and perhaps I did so I’ll offer up 3 or 4.

It is my theory and I believe it. It’s obviously your right to call it bullshit and that’s ok, cause I’d rather stuff that gets posted passes some critical evaluation than all and sundry hit us up with posts that start with ‘my sources’.

4 Likes

I just 100% don’t believe Wrsfold would start, then abandon, anything in that short a time frame.
Many faults he has, but he sticks things out.

And saying what you’ve said, implies (look it up) horrendous judgement.
Don’t soft out on it now, this is your story after all.

‘Soft out’?? Give me a spell.

‘Look it up’ - thanks for your condescending response.

I’m out, I was respectful and happy to have an adult conv. I should have known better.

4 Likes

There are a few in the group now. HAP gets ignored by a lot on this forum, you were one of the few who weren’t ignoring him, hence this discussion and its ultimate ending.

2 Likes

That’s pretty unfair. I think he/she has more than explained their point and opinions, and there’s nothing wrong in not being black and white about it. Not every convo has to be about winning and losing.

8 Likes

Cheers, I’m on leave at the moment and really enjoyed (mostly) being on blitz and posting plenty the last couple of weeks. It’s saved me from reading, as has the first couple of series of ‘Line of Duty’.

I’ll return to work next week and go back to being a ‘part time player’.

1 Like

No doubt in the first 2 games the team looked ridged and confused. We played one descent quarter against the saints then looked confused and ordinary again.

There is no doubt that the turn around was due to playing with more freedom. It looks far more natural and instinctive.

Against melbourne we leaked badly for a quarter. Against brisbane there was a definate defensive structure at work. When we didn’t have the ball they couldn’t move it with freedom.

I don’t think we have thrown the preseason plan out the window. But I do think the players have been allowed to play with more freedom. Some of what they learnt during the preseason is likely ingrained into the team.

Like Hepp said they have found a ballance. We still have a very long way to go to become a well oiled machine. But it’s a start.

For what it’s worth I don’t think much has changed at all especially defensively. Structurally we played around with a mid/defender and a ruck/forward but r4 returned to r1 lineup. No one is playing a different role. Zoning/ manning up hasn’t changed. Forwards are still playing high. The change seems more how we attack, we’re stringing possessions together, getting more territory and less hesitation. That’s basically skill level and a minimal mindset focus. The hesitation was most likely because of skill errors and corrects itself anyway. We have also changed centre stoppages and primarily a 6th defender is charging into the stoppage and the winger opposite the centre umpire bouncing the ball is playing defensive if their forward doesn’t follow our 6th defender in.

If anything the slow start primarily revolves around back half preseason injuries to Heppell, Merrett and to a lesser extent Smith, Hooker, Daniher and medium tall defenders.

I feel forwards playing high instead of selected mids playing wide is an opportunity to improve. As well as mids reacting faster, trusting our defence to beat their opponents and avoid all mids falling back and increasing congestion in our defensive 50.

4 Likes

“I just 100% don’t believe it” and “don’t soft out” is pretty foul language, isn’t it.

No. Not at all.

The ruck/forward change may have had more of an impact than thought or hoped for.
It’s a bit hard for me to judge as I was at the first two games and missed the last two (rubbish timing) and watched them on tv.
However it appears that by having a ruck/forward we have had at least an extra option deep who is nearly always there.
I was staggered at the GWS game how very rarely we had a target and if we did it was Walla against a couple of defenders.
I think also that the Hooker/Hurley combo can’t be underestimated.

No, of course it isn’t. Was it described as ‘foul language’ by someone?

Thats a quality post

2 Likes

I think it may also partly be because the players have bought in and believe they are capable of going far… and they want to do exactly what is ‘required’… to a fault, perhaps. There lies the rigidity.

1 Like

Between Hooker and Daniher in 2017 we were getting 5 or so inside 50 marks from key forwards. This year we’d be probably 3 or less.
Can’t wait for Daniher to be back, forward line is missing a high marking presence.

3 Likes

I could only assume I was actually being a jerk and forgot about it.
It does happen: rarely at 2pm on a tuesday, but still.
Since that doesn’t seem to have been the case, perhaps voicing disagreement to a rumour shouldn’t actually be that upsetting to people?

You know as well as I do there’s 10 (50?) times more BS rumours get posted on here than ones with any truth.
Nothing personal to the windsock. I just know better.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the Goodes”. Or something.

We average 10.2 marks inside 50 this year (41 total) according to footywire and are ranked 12th
Tippa 6
Stringer 5
Brown 4
Smack 4
Bags 4
Smith, Fanta Parish 3

I think we averaged 12.3 in 2017
JoeDan lead
Hooker 2nd
Fanta 3rd
Tippa 4th