John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Sicily played 21 games in his second year.
The only games he’s missed, after his first year, are pretty much due to suspension.

I’m sure there’s a relevant example supporting your point, but Sicily ain’t it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think Francis is an issue, I’ve really only included him out of completeness.
And I’m not really interested in the why, just that he’s not playing and could be elsewhere.
Having said that, replacing Hooker in a year or so?
Six years is a long apprenticeship.

But I don’t think you really mean that.

That’s what J Sicily said on the wireless last week.

Not doubting you.
But he’s still no comparison to any of the players I’ve mentioned.
Sicily was a lock from round one of his second year.

If you’re a kid playing good footy in the 2s but you cant get into theseniours because they are constantly winning, then it is just bad luck and you need to keep at it.

But what if the seniors are ordinary?

It wasn’t just about playing the kids, it was actually giving them a proper chance. It felt like when a kid played a bad game they were dropped, weren’t given another game or two to redeem themselves.

2 Likes

It didn’t look that way on tv - only seemed to be some going in hard. Guelfi definitely stood out in that regard - loved seeing him confident again. He reminds me of a David King type player (style not personality). Hurley and Ambrose only have one speed :smile:

The clearance work didn’t seem anywhere as physical as against Brisbane. Just what it looked like from TV. Perhaps that had a bit to do with Smith missing. His aggressive nature around the packs is awesome to watch.

Actually Sicily was in his third year when he played the 21 games
Didn’t crack a game in his first year, 3 in his second.
A nice potential parallel with Ridley, who I’d hope is in for the 21 games this year, after 3 in his second season.

1 Like

Ah.
My mistake.

Even so, yes, a nice parallel with Ridley but not with five players closer to his age that I’m actually talking about.

Francis I think is the one most likely to be poached. IMHO he’s a bigger talent than either Lav/Lang/Begs, and it’s much harder to fit in big players than mids.

He’d be a fixture at plenty of sides.

Any club wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t inquire.

He’s shown glimpses.

Lav/Lang/Begs are all contracted until the end of 2020, so I don’t think we need to worry about them in the next trade period.

I agree. This is where good clubs prove why they are good. They are able to retain the players they want to by providing not just good facilities and coaching but by convincing them that our system and their patience will pay off significantly for them.

Sample size on Begs is small, I think the Club would do anything to keep Francis whilst Parish and Langers could go either way. Both these guys will have decent careers either with us or elsewhere but if there is no step up in the next 24 months a mutual call may be made.

1 Like

Win or Lose today, if Worsfold doesn’t tee off on this umpiring then I don’t know.
Legit 6 of the clearest cheating non calls of alltime

3 Likes

Woosh has come a long way since Round 2. Really turned it around and some real passion in his coaching.

1 Like

Voice of the club, gets a genuine chance to speak to the media after every game and hasn’t mentioned umpires for a very long time if not at all. Umpiring in our matches is an absolute debacle for over 12 months. Missing out on clear frees and giving innocuous ones drives me mad but when three instances in the space of an hour when every player on ground is on on another page than the umpires, there is something very wrong going on. 70-80% of the time I question every free kick paid for both sides during our games. It’s a far higher percentage than other games I watch and Woosha is given the opportunity twice a week to raise the issue. A small part of the job as coach these days is to direct the way the game is played, adjudicated and where it should be heading. His oblivious to the power he has on not only our games but the AFL in it’s entirety. Sometimes I just think he’s coaching is so limited.

2 Likes

The subjectivity in the way our rules can be interpreted and then applied makes our game so unique and interesting. If you are on a roll as a team and the ball bounces your way so does the umpire decisions. Deal with it.

1 Like

I had one complaint which I’ve already made and won’t go on about.
But overall he did very, very well today.

4 Likes

So the umpiring is his fault too. Well there you go

Who would have you played as the relief ruck instead of Joey?