John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Most all Australians, best list under 25, plenty of first round picks - how is that a bottom 8 list?

1 Like

That is not true. Make your assumptions and pat each other on the back for being wiser… but I do admit when I’m wrong… perhaps it just doesn’t happen as much as you think it does.

Forget the battle lines, forget the in groupthink mentality and ask yourself…

Did we perform to your expectations this season?
Do you expect us to win a final ever again?
When is it realistic to expect this?
Do you believe Worsfold is the right coach to take us to ultimate success?
How many more years do you give him to get it right?

Each of us answers those questions differently and that is OK!!! We don’t all have to believe the same things or think the same. I respect your RIGHT to hold an opinion different to mine, shame it is not always returned.

An opinion is not ‘right’ or ‘wrong’… worth bearing in mind.

Top 4 teams sustain performance throughout the year.

2 Likes

I have, but it’s still foggy.

We have the list for top 4 talent wise. It’s everything else that is costing us

2 Likes

Thats the bit that I don’t understand from the happy clapper camp… they really don’t seem to think we have the talent. Yes we are bias towards our own players but our list, on paper, looks as strong as any out there.

We have a good mix of talls/shorts… we have pace… class at the top end… finally developing midfield depth.

I mean on paper we have a much stronger list than what Dogs had for their flag or Tigers had when they started their run last year. It’s like some people think you have to have this perfect list and zero injuries to do well…

If we don’t get some success with this list it will be an absolute disgrace…

2 Likes

Didn’t you say that ‘Woosha must read blitz, because he did everything I suggested’ after the Geelong and GWS games? :wink: But I am just stirring, of course you can have an opinion. I’m not arguing with you because of groupthink, I just disagree with you.

The season was cooked after the last Hawthorn game. Those discussions and lamentations have already been done. It sucks we missed finals this year, but ok, next objective. Are we meeting that?

The real question is (to me, anyway), are we a better side than we were 12 months ago? 6 Months ago? 3 months ago? Personally, I think we clearly are in all cases.

I’m still not full lid off, but I like how we are tracking.

5 Likes

This should be a pole

1 Like

That right there is the reason for the supporters issues.

The ones that believe we are a top 4 side are wrong imo.

Top 4 teams are consistent, Essendon are not and have not been for a very long time. Lower your expectations and you will not be as disappointed when we perform to our ability.

We still have too many holes in our list, carry too many players we shouldn’t and imo are a 6-10 side.

3 Likes

Personally I think it’s your fault we lost. We’ve had a perfect attendance record this year. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

2 Likes

This team won’t get success until I get a new job!

1 Like

Interesting though… are we a better side than 12 months ago.

12 months ago we made finals. This year we won’t. So I wouldn’t call that progress.

Also we play in a league where lots of teams are improving… so it is not enough to just improve… you need to improve MORE than the teams around you.

Last year we needed to improve more than 7 other teams. This year we need to improve more than 11/12 other teams.

So next season the job will be harder than this season. And for every thought that “yes but our guys will be 12 months older etc etc” there is the fact that every other team will have guys that are 12 months older, and playing together etc etc. We likely lose Baguley and Goddard, who despite flak on here have been far from our worst this season… no one knows how JD pulls up… Hooker and Hurley move closer to retirement and we are still yet to find any suitable ruck backup for TBell.

I will be willing for success next year as hard as I cheered this year… but I don’t actually think we are ‘tracking’ nicely at all… I think we are stagnating and we don’t change anything which means we are stuck doing the same things over and over. But that is just my opinion.

Richmond, Crows, Port, Giants, Demons all have better lists.
Eagles, Pies, Swans, Hawks, Cats could be argued to have better or comparable lists.
We have had Daniher out all year and Fanta in and out and SSS input into three different lines. Top 4 is fanciful in my view.

If you don’t think we’re better setup for future success now than we were at the end of last year, you’re really bad at watching football.

Yes our ladder position is worse than last year but that’s pretty much the only thing that is in worse shape than the same time 12 months ago.

3 Likes

Honestly, if that’s your list of negatives about next year, then you should be more lid off.

Righto as discussed in another thread.

If you were of the opinion that the extension of Woosha was premature, have you seen enough to warrant an extra 2 years?

I’m less angry about it than I was.

1 Like

You’re being whimsical. Again.

I think we’ve pretty clearly improved though it took a while for that to take shape. Full years from a fit and in form daniher and Fanta is probably the difference between finishing top 4 and missing finals completely.

It’s a strange wide open year and we just didn’t get the luck we needed to take the next step but made significant improvements in areas in which we were deficient (clearances, full ground defence, locking sides in our forward line). We have seen progress made by several youngsters and we bedded in three new recruits who will be key foundations for next year.

Plenty still to work on obviously

2 Likes