John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Wish we were playing them Friday night

1 Like

I wonder where that old handball target from World of Sport is now? We sure as hell could use it.

9 Likes

Yes exactly, instruction can only take people so far whether that be in sport or otherwise. Sooner or later you have to take the responsibility on yourself to evolve to another level. I also thought it a bit odd that he referred to books he had read, rather than any sort of first hand experience of it happening or even anecdotes of other coaches who had developed a similar program.

1 Like

It would want to be a whole lot bigger.

2 Likes

Lay it flat on the floor and we’d hit it every time.

11 Likes

I’d love to know his examples, probably individual sports :joy:.
I agree that going from good to great that in the end players knew exactly what’s required and didn’t need coaching but that initial success is from the coach and that’s where he’s wrong. We are not coming off a premiership, not even finals, not even a finals win in 15 years!

1 Like

rumour has it players were presented with participation ribbons after each game this year…you know its not all about winning in todays inclusive society.!

6 Likes

Treats the media with contempt. There’s some cockroaches among them isn’t there? Absolute bottom-feeders. 2 games in and looking for a story. Player driven v coach driven bs, Hird, Langford, Shiel not starting, leadership… Predictable, poorly executed questions by an imbecilic group of people without the skill-set to be employed in any other industry.

7 Likes

This meme is entirely accurate it seems

14 Likes

I’ve just watched today’s presser. I have never seen a more apt title to a thread as this one.

He waffled on for 10 minutes and gave us SFA, nada, nothing !

He is so farcking boring and vanilla, any wonder we have a listless and uninspired playing group. I assume this is how he communicates to the players, as he does to the media and the public, hence why we are in trouble.

Against my better judgement I still have hope for this year, but it’s born out of sheer blind loyalty and more likely stupidity.

I terribly hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see how we can possibly turn this around.

This gem in 10 minutes of waffling

We have some improvement to do. Some farcking improvement FFS!

They, they they always farcking they ! The players this, the farcking players that. FFS coach, it’s a farcking team game it should be we, we farcking we.

I’m tired of all this crap, but I’m so emotionally invested in my club I can’t let go, - someone please help me.

9 Likes

When the club was at its lowest they made a ruthless decision. Neeld got booted out

From all reports worsfold seemed to take a more hands on approach with the group and they responded.

I honestly believe it shook the place up and showed everyone at the club that if you aren’t doing your job you are gone. The turn around 6 days later was remarkable.

The players played will a real edge to them, and started to play a style that WILL win finals

I wonder if when Rutten came on board worsfold went back to a more background role and let his assistants take the hands on approach

In the 2nd half of last year it felt like for the first time in about 15 years we had found our on field identity.

Feels like every year the players and coaches are talking about changing or changes to the game plan. It can’t be great for the players mindset that whenever they come to grips with something it is changed when they arrive for pre season.

Who knows it might all turn around and we go on a run like last season and really achieve a finals win, and I will be more than happy for people to say I and others were completely wrong about worsfold etc.

It Just sucks that after going through the shambles that was the start of last season, we are right back there again. And back there again with a better list.

8 Likes

One of my best mates is a psychologist who has worked at a couple of AFL clubs and another national sporting organisation and he thinks Leading Teams is a load of crap. He reckons it does more damage than good.

5 Likes

Cheers, mate. Good insight.

That’s just one opinion of course.

Heard similar via a few other sources, so was keen to canvas views on here as well. Cheers.

That link I attached earlier mentioned that they have worked with 16/18 AFL clubs. Just bring Sheeds in for a session with the lads. Our mid-80s side worked out their non-negotiables & the rest of the comp genuinely feared those blokes. They were a ruthless, hard as nails side.

2 Likes

So, you bought some of it, but not all of it, eh?
Clever you.

It’s from about a month ago. I was there. It was one of many drills, and not one I’d seen before. Looked like an impromptu experiment.

Load of corporate team building wank.

IIRC the bulldogs tried it one year, only because Luke Darcy had a vested interest in it, and every player detested it.

3 Likes

He specifically said that he did not mean that the players actually coached themselves, and coaching wasn’t needed. But that will keep getting repeated forever.

1 Like

Why and how do you assume this?
Guessing, or do you have some other kind of info?

1 Like