John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Nope. He gets more staying for the final year than what we’d have to pay him if he left. If we broke his contract with 1 year left the payout was reported as $500k. If we keep him his finally years salary is (reportedly) around the $800k mark.

LOL I’m both staunch in my defence and detraction of the club. If we’re tracking well, as I strongly believe we were 2015 -18, I will certainly say as much. Post saga I believe we got a lot right, it started to feel like my footy club again… it doesn’t anymore.

It’s funny how out of my long multi point post people only picked me up on the Ryder stuff, no one even mentioned the stuff around the board or the optics driven management of the coaching situation etc, when that is the actual important stuff when it comes to the present and future of our football club, not what a single ex player thinks or doesn’t.

For example, almost a year ago on this very forum I raised concerns about how the club was trying to make a significant change to the constitution to essentially add 10th director and 4th appointed director to the board (by changing the slot previously reserved and never to be used again for the CEO into a general appointed position, thus diluting the influence the members could have on the board and making it incredibly easy for the non-elected portion of the board to essentially have control of our club). This was a very, very big deal in the future of our club. Not for the next 6 months, but for the next 100 years.

As part of that discussion I did some research and discovered that the board had quietly set a quota of having 3 female members in the next few years. I raised concerns in the AGM thread on here at the time that this was manipulation by the board to add a 10th director slot, a 4th (and extra) appointed director slot diluting the majority elected portion of the board and strengthening the top-end-of-town appointed section of the board thus lessening member representation, and very likely adding an extra woman to the board to help meet the quota they’d set. I communicated with both the CEO and a director who assured me that wasn’t the case, that this 10th seat would only ever be used on a short term basis to fill an immediate or pressing need. That explanation was also repeated publicly by the club and released as part of the information. I had several posters on here argue with me suggesting I needed to remove the tin foil hat, that nothing I was suggesting was or would take place and that all was above board.

Well here we are not even a year later with a 10 person board, 4 appointed, certainly no mention of either of the two new appointments this year being ‘short term’, both CEO’s, one a woman to take the female director count up to 3.

Exactly what we were assured wouldn’t happen and wasn’t the reasoning for the changes, seemingly has happened.

But does anyone care?

Has anyone even asked the question?

Has anyone even realised?

If we as members are so ridiculously gullible with this stuff is it really a surprise that the club keeps doing it? This kind of manipulation and “optics” based governing is exactly what had me so worried about our club 5 or so years ago, and I’ve had that same feeling of unease over the past few years. Seemingly just about everything we do is for appearance sake, the last few years have been rife with it.
Don’t get me started on the 50 weeks notice we just gave our senior coach to avoid the media being able to write a “Worsfold sacked” story - but there have been countless other examples that seemingly just float by unnoticed. Controlling the narrative has become the single most important thing to our club, performance be damned.

I love my footy club, that’s why I’m worried about it. There has to be more substance to it than making money and doing things we think the media and public will like, but Xavier in particular is very good at this game. Soon enough we’ll trade in another semi “name” player, hire another semi “name” employee, announce a few contract signings and finally a huge profit, and everyone will be happy.

17 Likes

Why can’t the succession plan just be what it appears to be?

They obviously see a lot of quality in Rutten but don’t think he’s quite ready to be thrown in the deep end yet.

1 year under an experienced coach can only benefit him and have him ready and confident to take over the year after.

I think most of the angst is because those that don’t like Worsfold want him gone rather than seeing the benefits of having him for 1 more year.

4 Likes

Yup.
I disagree with some points but this is IMO unarguable.

To be fair, you look at the mission statement, we’re doing exactly what it says.

Why that’s our mission statement is the question.

3 Likes

Killing possible destabilisation in the final year is important but of course not a reason on its own.

Rutten has only had 5 years in so another 12 months is considerable. I think Goodwin had had 4 years prior to Demons doing a similar thing under Roos. Doesn’t make it the way to go but is precedent.

One thing I really like is honouring a contract. It’s stabilising and I’m happy with a Woosh/Rutten team.

2 Likes

Same.

I don’t really think that’s what’s happening though, do you?

Darli Darli Darli

Maybe stop assuming what members think. Stop calling them (us) ridiculous and gullible. It’s quite possible 99% of members don’t give a flying fark about board membership and only care about wins and losses. You care about it. That is fantastic, but there is no need to criticise others for having different priorities.

I don’t need to engage again re the worsfold issue. I already pointed out to you that you have provided one possible view of the succession plan, one of many possible interpretations. Your chosen view suits your own current individual narrative.

I think you are interpreting events through the lens of spin-doctoring. I agree with Rain that you have a better chance to see this given your background and professional work. But in the same way that I am an ethicist, which just means that I look down on everyone else whilst being wrong about everything, sometimes looking through our professional glasses provides bias rather than insight.

your sincerely
ewok ewok ewok

ps luv ya passion

7 Likes

I like reading your thoughts and as JR pointed out you clearly have expertise in the area.

Thing is, the Ryder par in which you alluded to culture and the point about a journo that you took as fact because ‘he’s one of the good ones’ I disagreed with strongly. So I wonder about the balance and (again for me) I’m less inclined to take your other points at face value.

Just feedback, and maybe a misread and to my detriment.

Finnis is treading water waiting to move on to the Big House. Purely based on his CV.

I do HAP, but I get that many don’t.

It’s a good message to Rutten and players and coaches of the future.

And it’s a ■■■■ message to THE most important leader at the club. The only one who’s been able to get any form of consistency out of the side in 15 years.

Ryder would surely still have a number of friends within the playing group.

Maybe he’s said something publicly that hints at what a number of the players are feeling?

Worsfold? Might be naive but I believe that not being able to commit beyond 2020 is real and our plan is honourable and with merit. I’ve read the stuff that you and Darli say about timelines and who knew what and when but have a different opinion on that.

I think it’s one of those unknowables (until everyone involved is done with footy, anyway).

Is there a pressing need for us to lock in our 2021 coach?( in late 2019?)

So much can change! If everyone clicks and we win 18 games, surely the motivation changes? If ■■■■ goes really pear shaped, why have we kept him, what’s going to happen to his motivation if we’re 1-10 at the bye?

I can only see this as a premature decision.

Perhaps it works out, but history’s not on the club’s side, here.

4 Likes

A[quote=“Henry_s_Angry_Pills, post:8617, topic:12973”]
So much can change! If everyone clicks and we win 18 games, surely the motivation changes? If ■■■■ goes really pear shaped, why have we kept him, what’s going to happen to his motivation if we’re 1-10 at the bye?
[/quote]

Yep all true. The family in Perth and not being able to commit clouds it further and an 18 win season may have no bearing on a desire to continue.

Sorry, he would have virtually no friends in the playing group.

I remember attending training a few times in 2014 and about the only players he was “friends” with were Carlisle and Dempsey.

Given the fiction he sprouted to stage manage an exit from the club whilst still under contract, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got the cold shoulder from any staff or players who were at the club 5 years ago.

As it is he is overweight, has a chronic achilles problems that limits his training and playing and generally looks cooked. He would be a liability. Seriously, we would be better off getting Jamar out of retirement than getting Ryder.

4 Likes

I text my St Kilda supporting mate and wished him well for next year with both Carlisle and Ryder deciding minute to minute whether or not they could be bothered having a crack.

8 Likes

Sing Sing Prison was known as the Big House.

I assume (i.e. hope) that is what you meant!

And as far as Darli is concerned hers is the only right narrative, that is where the problem lies, her sheer arrogance in assuming she is always right and then calling everyone else names like gullible and ridiculous.

1 Like

Or (and back to the unknown and unknowable here) the family thing is a smokescreen, and an uptick in performance would lock in his faith in the group/club and his job?