John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Yes, I think it would surpass David Myers most improved.

4 Likes

Given he wanted to leave Essendon when he was in the leadership group, then it’s hardly an incentive to keep him in it in 2020 in the hope it helps make him want to stay.

Reckon he should focus on his footy in 2020.

2 Likes

So should we - last thing he needs is the supporters (not you) getting up his goat with out being in his shoes or knowing the full story.

Don’t want another unloved bean pole gun forward dominating elsewhere.

1 Like

I’d say the chances of him leaving At the end of next season are pretty high. Unfortunately

Yep. I’m a fairly happy clappy type of fella and even i can’t put a positive spin on keeping him in the leadership group. If he signs a 6 year extension he can go straight back in and we’ll never speak of his little indiscretion again.

1 Like

The whole leadership group thing stinks anyway, imo. I’m not going to Hurley for advice because he hasn’t got the house captain badge? What a crock. People follow leaders because they inherently are, not because of a vote. And if you get it wrong, it can alienate true leaders arbitrarily. I think we just saw that in 2019.

A captain and a vice captain or two for official duties and standard setting. That’ll do. They don’t need a friggin vote and a board/executive ratified appointment to see that Hooker is a spiritual leader within that playing group. Or they shouldn’t.

7 Likes

Do other codes have leadership groups?

Not many sports have 40 players in a team.

A lot of sports have much smaller numbers of players on court/field and hence active lists. Hence they get away with C and VC. The move to leadership groups happened in the AFL concurrently with the move to very distinct Backline, Midfeild, Forward groups so you needed a couple of leaders from each subgroup.

1 Like

There was a photo on the club site with McGrath, Merrett, shiel, hooksy and hep showing off the new under armour on field stuff. Perhaps it’s a sign of things to come?

1 Like

You think they’re going to keep wearing clothes? Another left field theory from you, but could well turn out that way.

1 Like

We are bringing Courtney into the senior side to improve our tackling skills?

BSD is the resident left field theorist here mate

McGrath could well be in the leadership group this year. Would not surprise me at all

1 Like

So you don’t think they’ll continue with clothes? Explosive stuff.

I wouldn’t be surprised it being in the leadership group was part of his and Raz’s contracts, would explain a bit i.e. “not just playing group vote”.

I guess it depends on what the responsibilities are on a day to day basis.

One or two on game maybe fine. Perhaps the work involved during the week is too distracting / too much for just one or two though.

I honestly have no idea what the responsibilities of a vice / deputy would be each week. Do you?

Maybe it’s advantageous to have additional voices in team meetings for Hepp to bounce ideas off? Or a diverse set of voices to express the views of all in the group?

As you said, there is nothing stopping people approaching Hurley and Hooker for advice. Probably just means they didn’t have to go to as many meetings.

It would be worse if they got up his goat while they were in his shoes!

1 Like

TBH it sounded like he wasn’t to fussed in the presser after the Bulldogs game.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I think I might put this thread on mute for the next week because I reckon this will get ugly once the usual crowd reads this article

4 Likes

Eh.
It’s been up for an hour.
I think that tells you the level of engagement.

2 Likes