John Worsfold

I think the biggest barrier to many kids into any sport is ineptitude by coaches. If the AFL and govs would do something like with what Iceland did for their soccer youth programs sport in Australia would be in a fantastic spot.

Wizz Fizz is a hell of a drug.

2 Likes

Then there was the ex Collingwood player, who went to Port Adelaide. He jumped off the second story building from the rooftop while disoriented. He was taking part in an end of season footy trip to Las Vegas.

There was not too much said or much information about what took place in the media afterwards.

Handled himself pretty well. Basically said well how are you supposed to suspend players on hearsay.

Sounds like my 20yo son. 6’7" and counting, soccer and cricket all his life due to the school we chose and poor early experiences with Auskick.

Still time though, he has been testing for the last 6 months as a potential category B rookie under the Alternative Talent program. He may “Don the Sash” yet!

11 Likes

6’7" Can he bowl?

Yep, that was his main trade. Made his way through the State underage system, but has basically burnt out. Fast bowling, and all of the training involved, is far too taxing on growing young bodies. A season off this year, and a shift of focus to AFL has done him the world of good.

1 Like

That’s an interesting insight into the elite junior cricket process.

1 Like

If you only read the last five posts, this thread reads as the ‘last one to post wins’.

Yeah Woosha!,

Great coaching by Woosha, really showed his worth bringing these players together.

2 Likes

The right man for the job.

2 Likes

The way they continued to go Coast to coast after a kick out had me wanting to rip his ■■■■ off but thought he had a good game overall. Hope they do some work during the week on kick outs, seemed like we just couldn’t be bothered manning up most of the time

1 Like

Imo, At least some of that was a consequence of how we moved the ball forward. We’d switch play in defence, spread the ground, switch back into the middle and look for numbers on the fat side with crumbers swarming everywhere to stop the easy clearance. Of course, If we then missed the shot to give them a controlled ball, it left us open on the opposing flank for a quick kickin with fewer numbers. Some things to work on, but on balance i think I’ll take the 31 scoring shots.

3 Likes

I read an article the other day that really put the JLT series into perspective for me.
I think it was Colyer, saying that he had only ever participated in 4 centre bounces (@AFL level) until the JLT series this year, where he experienced 18 more. It made me realise even more that winning pre season games isn’t important, compared to making the most of the opportunities to expose players to new situations.
Colyer and Langford’s exposure to Dangerfield would have been vital for their development. Also the coaches get to see how the players respond, even if they cop it from us for not making changes, etc.
Anyway, just thought id share as most criticisms of Woosha were based on his lack of results in the JLT.
Loving how pur team played against the Hawks. Lots of tap ons, soccering, playing on at all costs, one-step kicks under the arms of the man on the mark.
Definitely not coaching them old school, looked very modern.

3 Likes

It will be the same next year. People going off at club/players/coach over practice games. It’s the long drought of games that does it I reckon. That, and stupidity, of course.

5 Likes

Mainly the stupidity.

2 Likes

I think it really depends on the coach. I think under Hird there was a real desire to set a standard, especially early in his coaching, but Woosha has always used these games as practice, even when at WCE.

Who’d have thought clubs practice stuff during practice games?

6 Likes

And in fairness to bringbackzantuck, Worsfold’s approach is indicative of a bloke who is in no doubt as to his position at Essendon. He’s not going anywhere where as J Hird didn’t have this advantage due to all the saga uncertainty. He had to make every post a winner due to the unrelenting scrutiny. Goes to show that timing off the field is as important as on it.