John Worsfold

Lets take what Woosha says at face value. He says, the players and coaches agree, ( a sort of “compact” agreement) to play a certain style of footy that they want to play and what they expect from each other and he wants to make the game very simple and easy to understand…

So we have trained all pre-season on the press, zone and fast ball movement that is the Woosha game plan. Clearly, all that is aimed at dry weather football, which occurs in 20 out of 22 games played on average each season.

Whats missing ? Plan B, a Wet Day game plan. So the style of footy and the mutual expectations are completely stuffed up, and the style of footy they all have agreed on is so inflexibly ingrained, it is difficult for the coach to unpick it and get them to adapt on one wet day.

Now the problem, how many wet days are we going to play? Maybe only one more this season. All I can suggest is that we go back to what we do well and not dwell on the loss, but when the opportunity arises and its raining, they do match sims and teach the players how to play in wet conditions, develop a plan B and .get the players to learn it.

3 Likes

I’ve got a few options available and we’ll certainly look in to it for the immediate future.

1 Like

When our player kicks the ball and the ball thumps straight to another of our players chest but the player doesn’t mark it, whose fault is it?
Most commentators place the blame on the kicker of the ball.
Is wearing 1 glove legal during a wet weather game?
Was legal at 1 point in time, enhanced Colliwobbles chances of playing finals greatly!

Hugely so.
I still think this year should be 50/50 about development and playing our best side.
We could go flat-out and maybe win 8-10, but we will imho get a lot more out of seeing Francis, Langford and co.

That depends.
If you wanted to be a carnt, you could just put up an image of the coach looking non-plussed, so that disgruntled fans have something to whinge about and think they have the answers.

1 Like

Thats where my frustration? irrational lashings out? come from.

I think we should be building for 2-3 years from now, not a rebuild, soz jbomb, just phasing out players reaching the end and pushing young ones, see whos capable whos not. But then the coaches just pick experienced after experienced and the team seems to go nowhere.

1 Like

We are doing that. But without the knee-jerking irrational millenial hot-headed reactionary stuff.

2 Likes

If we are I don’t think its fair to set up the returning boys to fail. Like what Jose did with Rooney (Another fkg @anon71769209 thing to do).

And thats the nature of social media, web 2.0 (forums). We can’t know what goes on in the coaches box, we can only presume based on what we see on the field, and what we saw on sunday was now what we wanted to see given how we started the year.

1 Like

So far we replaced Green (24) for Howlett (28) then Hockig (29); SMack (26) for Leuey (28) and Hartley (23) for Brown (26)
So you could say they’re picking kids, or you could say it’s the absolute opposite of it.

Next in line for the chop is probably Langford (20)

Sometimes demeanour in the coaches box is EXACTLY what you see reflected on the field.

16 Likes

Just tell them they were lucky it was wet, … like his fkng team is.

That’ll show him.

That’s all well and good but people on Blitz go on as though we are talking about a bunch of kids playing schoolboy footy in between going to school.
We are not. We are talking about a bunch of professionals, very well paid, who have nothing more to do than play football. Nothing. Practically everything else in their life can be looked after for them.
So all they have to do is be good at what they are paid very well, and provided with every opprotunity to be. Good at football.
Not the best of the best, just good.
And as soon as it rains they cant do that? Not cant win. Because in every game there is a loser, But cant be good.
Carlton were good. Even if we had got up with couple of fluked late goals, very few of our players could be described as good.
Yet they, and their coaches, have nothing else to concern themselves with than playing decent footy once a week.
And they cant even do that.

4 Likes

A Carlton supporter at hubby’s work yesterday had a dig in jest, (he’s a good bloke apart from supporting Carlton) when hubby was leaving.

Hubby’s reply, oh well, so you’re better at water polo than us, :grin:

3 Likes

OK Scorpio,
Get 10 returning players 24 existing ones, and 8 new ones and start in November making sure they are all fit to start the season. Then teach them 4 different game plans, 4 different scenarios in each game plan and get them all ready to play footy in April. At the same time keep it all simple and encourage players to enjoy playing and get the whole group to play together as a team.

We have done all that, except we only learned 1 game plan, and maybe several scenarios within that, like how to slow down the tempo, or how to defend a lead in the last minutes of the game,

If you watched what goes into the drills they do it would explain what they spend their time practicing and learning. For instance lots of drills to control the ball with only one hand. A massively important skill.

This year we got in Diesel to teach handball. Great. So it comes to a wet day then what does the side do ?
Someone forgot to tell them about short handballs in the rain.

1 Like

I also thought that Carlton played better, was better set up and better structured. I thought we were pretty woeful and they deserved to win by a lot more. I thought they were more skilled.

I spoke to my Carlton nemisis at work on Monday morning and he said that he thought we were more skilled and it was a very fine line in the odd scenario as to whether the ball got past the last defender and out for a goal. He said it was obvious that the only thing that saved them was the rain and that we’d have pumped them if it was dry.

I don’t really agree.

EDIT: I agree we’d win if it was dry. I think if we played that last half over 10 times. We’d still lose based on how we played.

I do. You have a rare intelligent, honest Fk Carlton supporting colleague there.

6 Likes

Nice spin. You could get a job on SEN.
Some professionals, have plans that span longer than 1 month at a time, believe it or not.
You know - you were a lot more amiable when we missed you being around.

1 Like

We lost by 10+ goals plenty of times last year and still looked better in those games compared with what was dished up against Carlton on Sunday.

Worsfold’s worst coaching performance with the club to date. To solely blame the conditions is weak. The sort of performance that wipes away most of the positives from the first two weeks of the year.

1 Like

As stated by Worsfold, there continues to be a problem with the midfield (stopping the ball from entering D50 with such regularity + getting the ball into F50 with greater frequency). A lot of Essendon scores are generated from the defence (unhealthy reliance). The coaches are trying to correct this deficiency.

Reckons another couple of months before things gel by which time any hope of playing finals is likely extinguished. With that in mind

1 Like

geez, over-reaction much people?

4 Likes