John Worsfold

I rate him as a coach, and have faith he can drive the club forward, but until we’ve at least won a final, he’s no different to the previous three.

Even Knights got us to be mid table, there’s nothing special about that. Woosha will be judged on our success - or lack thereof - over the next few years, until then we’re just guessing.

3 Likes

If I’m understanding that correctly, you are saying that you think our players weren’t acting professionally? Or some of them weren’t? Is that correct?

Woosha’s being criticized for not having a wet weather game plan. Do people seriously believe that a man of his experience would not have the common sense to know about wet weather footy?

Rule of thumb - if arm chair internet experts can identify a simple game trend like wet weather footy, then so can the actual experts actually employed in footy.

It wasn’t the coaching. It was the newness of the team. We basically have a new forward line, a new back six, and half a new midfield. It’s gonna take time.

Clarkson has half a new midfield. He’s not a crap coach. His team needs games together.

Same for Woosha.

5 Likes

Walk up to Hep and Jobe and tell them they were unprofessional after slogging at the bottom of packs for your entertainment (you were probably in your loungeroom with a cup of tea) in the driving rain. Its easy in hindsight to say dont play your gameplan and just hoof it off the ground soccer style all day. Some sides do play well in the wet by playing their dry weather game. Ive seen Hawthorn be clean. But Carlton came with the big pressure which has a triple rate of effectiveness on a wet day.

1 Like

**Walk up to Hep and Jobe and tell them they were unprofessional after slogging at the bottom of packs for your entertainment (you were probably in your loungeroom with a cup of tea) in the driving rain. **

BOOOOM

here we go. all we need to be told know is we need to be members for 70 years and tongued ■■■■ reynolds johnson.

1 Like
7 Likes

It’s not about me. It’s not about what I was doing.
It’s about what they were doing.

What I am saying is that I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect better from full time professional athletes, and full time professional coaches, whose only roles are to play football, and coach football respectively.

3 Likes

And as an extension to that, if people on here are happy to accept striving for mediocrity, and make excuses for poor performances, that’s fine.
I’m not.

4 Likes

gl scorps.

club ■■■■■ gold to some.,

2 Likes

Define ‘better’.
‘Better’ as in winning? More effort? Better preparation? Better coaching?

It’s pretty easy to lump things all together when things go wrong, and point in a general direction. Because losing sucks. And yelling (even metaphorically) feels better. But the thing is - professionals coached professional sportsmen against professional sportsmen being coached by professionals. They are all professional. All at the very top of their fields. They are not ‘2nds’.

They are were they are, because they are fantastic at what they do - yes, even fringe players. Their job is to come up against the same kind of professionalism and skills. And due to a farking umpteenth reasons, they will win or lose. It’s not luck to win (though that plays a part). And it’s not being ‘unprofessional’ or ‘unwilling’ when they lose. 22 players, a room full of coaches on the day (any one of which knows 10 times as much as any punter in here) and they are all trying to win a game. Against a similar crowd doing the same thing.

You’ve talked about how they need do nothing else except learn game plans and train for sixteen weeks. That’s wrong. They have lives. They do not work 7, or even 5 days a week at this. And yes, they get paid farking oodles - because they attract more money than people who work 10 times harder. That’s sport and commerce - you should get over that bit.

When something happens with a team on the ground that doesn’t seem to make sense, it more than likely is not that they are doing senseless things. It’s far more likely that you (we) haven’t the measurements/tools/analysis/temperament/skill or whatever to break it down and really understand what went wrong. Sometimes coaches struggle also. And often, when they do understand exactly what went wrong - they do not want to tel you. Because even the slightest edge makes a difference in this religion called footy.

So many factors. Butterflies, hurricanes, chaos. It’s not expected for sports enthusiasts like ourselves to always be rational and analytical when the chips are down. We have extremely skilled people paid a lot of money to do that. And it’s ok to yell at a screen and be ■■■■■■ off when the team you support loses. But - in my opinion - it is NOT ok to call people unprofessional, disinterested, lazy, unwilling, cowardly and so on - unless that can be empirically demonstrated. Because that’s attacking and defaming someone who isn’t here to defend themselves. Not that it won’t keep happening of course. But it also ok to pull people up when it’s done. Most of the nuff nuffs in here going on hanging ■■■■ on players would go limp and gaga if they had to confront a player face to face and explain why they thought they were so ■■■■. And I’m not talking about physical confrontation. It’s easy to be a bully online.

And this whole farking crap going around about ‘59 years a member’ bullshit. Way to farking divert your own inadequacies. Everyone has the right to an opinion. And therefore everyone has a right to disagree with an opinion. That isn’t directed at you by the way, Scorpio. I’m just ranting.

Anyway, I’m off to bed. farkin fark farks.

24 Likes

Lol. Night mate.

Edit: Just want to clarify, the applause is for the high quality rant.
One of the best.
Even without the closing line, but oh…oh, that was just sublime.
The compulsory, ‘screw you guys, I’m going to bed,’ sure…solid 7 for that, but then to follow it with, ‘farkin fark farks.’
wipes away a single tear
Just masterful work.

5 Likes

A good and correct rant.

I reckon it was missing a “YOU WANT THE TRUTH?? YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!” so a solid 9.5 from me.

TLDR;

1 Like

Our contested ball numbers were fine. How many clearances did we lose after having hands on the ball first?

Fact is, this game was lost strategically. Nothing else.

They set up with multiple numbers behind the ball all day - and this was not addressed at all. Not even late in the final quarter where it was nearly comical the situation we were in with Docherty there.

Woosha is a stubborn coach. Including pre-season, we have given up 40 point leads 4 times this season, and this one horribly structured effort against Carlton. Seemingly, he takes too long to address issues on the field.

Going man on man, at least for the final half of the final quarter could have been all that was needed. This was not player ignoring coach. We were setup like this all day.

I agree on the personal, which I further struggle to understand woosha’s thinking. Brown is hardly suited to modern AFL at all, let alone absolutely horrific conditions against a team with no key forwards of note.

It made no sense then, it makes less sense now. We lost this game between the ears and not in the contested ball at all.

Hawthorn - were on a massive slide last year and close wins masked this for the masses who only look at results and nothing more. But contested ball isnt the issue.

We basically broke even with them, and beat them (clearances and contested ball).

They beat Adelaide in clearances and contested ball was even.

Contested ball is not what drives modern footy. It is been a while since this is irrelevant.

Geelong have been a team for a while which have won huge amounts of games without winning these areas.

Total ground structures greatly drive the game these days, half back lines are the most attacking lines in the game etc.

This is not the 70s.

We were only ever a goal or two down all day. Woosha may not have thought that necessitated massive changes to player’s positions.

3 Likes

It almost seemed like on the weekend, woosha/the coaching staff were stubborn in the way that we wanted to play. It looks as if he is drilling his game plan into the players and wants them to play it regardless of opponent, conditions etc. Whilst this is frustrating in the short term (and i can’t see why this wasn’t adapted for the wet weather), if by seasons end the players have nailed this game plan and it becomes second nature, then I think no one will have an issue. Still planty of games before this group hits its peak in terms of continuity and chemistry.

2 Likes

Woosha was on FIVEaa (Adelaide) yesterday. audioBoom link here.

Some points

Team chemistry and gelling will take a fair while. So much is still brand new for us.
Best footy later in the year, when have a better understanding of each other and even better next year.
Walla is wanted at both ends of the ground.
Disappointed at how reacted to conditions and mindset to take the game on against Fark Carlton. Lost their daring.
Doesn’t want the team to stop using speed and pushing the ball quickly. They will make some mistakes and need to learn when to push fast and slow it up.
Hurls still learning how they want to set up the ground for the new game plans.
Crows team has been building over the past few years. They have the chemistry amongst the players that we want to build.
Leg speed helps, but good kicks and taking on the game are required.
Not a nervous when Joey lining up for kick. Has done a mountain of work and has a plan he is working toward.
Franga building game time over last 3 weeks. Biggest game time and high volume running last weekend. Rapt with that. Not going to rush him though. Showing that he can now run a game out.
No one has been successful in stopping Betts from playing his game so far, good challenge for one of our backs.

4 Likes