John Worsfold

It’s Habib’s dimmer brother

2 Likes

Any judgement on his coaching needs to come into place only after Round 10. Give the man a chance to find his feet with the team.

2016 he starts with one team and then suddenly he has a whole new team to play with only a month out.

2017 he now has to complement a whole new team with 12-17 new players some that have never played AFL before.

Game plans, fitness, structures, long trips, pressure and so on are elements that all take time.

Breath and relax. Let’s enjoy the ride of finally being able to watch an Essendon team with no Saga over its head.

9 Likes

Last years team tried harder than this years. Team has looked complacent at times.

Woosha needs to make a statement and drop some under-performing players this week.

Could Begley be that type of player in time? He does seem to have some pace off the mark and certainly has the size.

Woosha getting hammered for the “Hit the wall” comment.

The press are like a pride of lions with a fresh kill. They are fighting over who can ask Woosha the next question related to “hitting the wall”

1 Like

Perhaps he means ‘hit the wall’ Clarko style?

7 Likes

Really?

Oh, well. It’s not like my opinion of them can be any lower, but I would have thought the comment was spectacularly unsurprising and pretty much common sense.

The following comment pleased me a lot.
“Defensively as a team, we are acknowledging - and be clear on this - we are miles short of where we want to be.

“We’re averaging nearly 60 inside-50s against, week-in, week-out, and that takes our forwards to defend better, our midfielders to defend better and our backs to defend better as well.”

8 Likes

Was not in the mood for any journo spouting **** today in the interview. Looked like he could’ve belted one of them

2 Likes

He mentioned “hit the wall” after we fought back and kicked 7 behinds in the 3rd quarter.

If we kicked 7 goals, we would have been right back in that match. So no wonder he was a bit frustrated. I have not looked in detail at Jobes work rate in the 3rd, but he probably put in a massive effort to win the clearances and contest all the stoppages, and he did hit the wall,

But first Hep now John have had to deal with the blowback from the press for that comment

Not happy …John. …

You were to too nice calling them like ‘a pride of lions’ more like a clan of hyenas.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see if this is really a focus for us, because when hawks, Bris, blues, crows got on top, we just kept attacking, but when you’re in all out attack, turnovers really hurt.
Obviously what looks like all out attack to me probably isn’t quite, but we seem to be selecting more speed/outside players.
He could just be referring once again to our chemistry that is lacking, it could be that it’s causing us bigger problems in defense than offense.

True. The words Journo & pride have no business being in the same paragraph let alone sentence.

2 Likes

Regardless of the context or what or who he actually meant, it was always a silly thing to say publicly.

Think I can forgive him 1 slip up in 18 months though; he’s been great with dealing with the media.

3 Likes

Slip up? Maybe it was a challenge to the players.

2 Likes

indeed. coaches aren’t stupid. nothing is said without an agenda behind it. He’s basically potted the midfield and their defensive work rate all week. Clearly looking for a response.

5 Likes

I think it’s the chemistry aspect.

The players seem to crowd each other as we attack the fwd 50 through a running chain of handball. This is resulting in one handball in congestion too many and subsequently a turnover. This particular issue is both caused and made worse by the forwards not coordinating the space inside the fwd 50 to provide multiple options to the ball carrier, the resulting one handball too many.

When they’ve got the attack movement right, we look quick and slick. When we stuff it up, we look disorganized.

2 Likes

Well tell the players not the media.

1 Like

you reckon he’s not? seriously?

Yes, that’s my point.

woah. so you think a coach isn’t telling his players what he does and doesn’t expect from them behind closed doors… okay then…

1 Like