John Worsfold

That ferken’, Lloy-doh dude is far worse!

I would be using McGrath as a mid field tagger, having him play on the best mids every week to teach him the midfield role against the best and also negate the opposition’s best given he has good negating skills.

It’s been clearly shown, for example, that tagging Sloan stops the Crows dead in their tracks and they are very ordinary when this happens.

2 Likes

I don’t see the non tagging as a huge issue at this point.
With our slow, one way running midfield, we can’t afford to to have a dedicated tagger and leave more to fewer midfielders.

I also don’t think we’ve under achieved. We’ve done better overall, but the losses to Carlton and Melbourne were absolutely terrible. In particular the loss to Carlton just isn’t acceptable when you look at the Carlton list. They have the worst or second worst list in the comp, but are coached well enough to be competitive. The Melbourne loss was disappointing because of the team Melbourne selected on the day. Melbourne cannot play Etihad, had no Gawn and no Hogan yet totally smashed us by playing half a game of footy.

Having said that, we’ve won games I didn’t expect to win so we’ve made up for the bad losses.

1 Like

I have read some tripe on here but that has to take the cake.

You mean the same Lloyd who wouldn’t help Joe with his goal kicking any more because he didn’t have the time. He was too busy being forward coach at Haileybury. He’s way more media than Essendon. Carries no more weight with his comments than any other populist journo.

19 Likes

I thought the ins were odd against GWS, but no more than that.
I don’t see how anyone can criticise Worsfold for the performance against GWS.
We were in a winning position against a top 4 or better side at their home ground. Can’t ask more than that.

Normally the statement ‘the coach didn’t tell them to kick poorly’ makes me want to tap my head lightly against a large piece of lead, but in this particular case I agree.
Our set-ups gave us the opportunity to win that game, but the players blew it.
And that’s really quite outstanding from Worsfold.

The Carlton and Melbourne games deserve realistic criticism, not this one.

18 Likes

Hah the idea of McG tagging the opp’s best midfielder actually excited me for the prospect of seeing him near the ball that often as I have this odd belief in his class, awareness and toughness in any situation.

2 Likes

I’d go further and say we were in a winning position against the top side and flag favourite.

I never expect you to understand anything i say.
you’ve never been smart enough too.

to quote you:
atm he is picking and choosing who he sends back to the ressies to work on things, and essentially playing favourites very rarely works.

You are making that up, you have zero evidence he is playing favourites at all. You have bias against some players and assume because they keep being picked therefore he is playing favourites. What you maybe failing to understand is that the coaches have plans for each player and they know whether that player is performing as required or not.

Quote:
so has he underperformed, IMO in some areas yes

How the hell would you know if the coach is “underperforming” or not. Did you set his metrics? Do you know what the plans are? Do you know why players are being picked and why they are not?

He’s underperforming because you said so not because he is. And that is tripe.

7 Likes

I don’t think it really works like that. If we used Hocking for example to tag then one of the slow mids wouldn’t be there. At least in a tagging situation the tagger would closely follow the player being tagged on the defensive spread. Taggers work, they worked when Shane Heard was doing it, they worked when Peverill or Hocking was doing it and they still work today. Not trying to limit a Dangerfield, Sloan, Martin in my view just doesn’t make sense. Goddard was doing a pretty decent job of it (albeit a defensive role at the stoppage) but it appears he hasn’t had that role for a few weeks.

1 Like

lol.

Pots & fkn Kettles.

With half their team missing :-o

Why would you waste McG on that role when you had Colyer?
Similar in everything except strength and disposal.

1 Like

Gotta be Francis

You wouldn’t have to be Nostradamus to guess that one I reckon.

If they’d played Delidio we would have won.
And Stevie is cooked.
Yes they’ had outs but some of them are slower and more our style.
Parish, Kelly, LaVerde, Ambose.
Arguably pretty much the same impact on our best team as their media driven “half a team out”

2 Likes

LOL lay of the cones.
Devon Smith, Coniglio, Hopper, Haynes, Lobb, Griffin, Buntine, Kennedy just to name a few.

That is freaking disappointing. :frowning:

Listing a bunch of players is LOL.
They have to replace someone, and GWS are so stacked with concessions that many of these replacements are no better or worse than each other.
A handful, such as Lobb are definite ins, but so is Paddy.
That is my point.
Our effort shouldn’t be derided because of the “half a team” lazy media quote.

3 Likes