John Worsfold

Woosha. Thanks for reviving our forward line.

For 15 years I’d estimate that our achilles heel has been our forward line, especially across half forward.

And now, finally I can see some progress.

Now please give us a midfield that works hard both ways and we’ll be back into the finals mix year in year out.

5 Likes

Thank you Mr Worsfold. I despise Port. This has been very enjoyable.

9 Likes

Gave em a hard pill to swallow,

Woosha at his Compounding best.

4 Likes

His determination to stick to the structure and game plan no matter what has really been paying off the last few weeks. When we don’t have massive turnovers we can pretty much beat anyone.

4 Likes

Our achillia heel has been the midfield and forward line. The forwards so far are going well and it is a good balance down there, the 3 talks are 196+cm but very mobile (except hooker who plays the “gorilla” role). Next is to add couple more midfield guns. The work in tight spaces paid off tonight, looked like we had different avenues to the forward line as well this week

Parish will take Howlett’s place and Langers will take Myers’. There’s your team for 2017 Part 2.

7 Likes

I’ve been slightly critical based on his refusal to tag guys who are tearing us a new freckle. And I’m not convinced that putting a defensively minded guy on someone overly detracts from our midfield balance or structure… but that’s an argument for another day

Where he and the coaching staff deserve massive credit is turning around our forward line. Gee, it’s seriously pants tightening watching Daniher, fantasia, hooker and tippa do their stuff. At the half way point we have these 4 guys in the top 25 in the Coleman race. And all on track for over 40 goals … didn’t one year our leading goal kicker get 24?! It’s an outstanding turnaround!

One thing that we are crying out for now is midfield goals (big reason why I want Dusty) and we saw a few last night. I noticed during the last couple of weeks we have lined up with a forward on our half back line at centre bounces (green, fantasia, Daniher) and I wonder if this is a subtle adjustment which allows our mids some extra space? Whatever the thought process, it’s working so kudos to the coaches for developing an effective way of getting clearances/hitting the scoreboard

3 Likes

At times we had Howlett doing just that, on wines. Not a hard tag but getting in his way a bit at clearances.
(And I don’t mind Howlett being in if we need someone to do that)

1 Like

Daniher, Hooker, Stewart, Tippa, Green, Fantasia.

Looks a little odd, but by geez it’s working. And you’d have to think it’d be a nightmare to match up on.

1 Like

Number #1 in comp for scoring once inside 50.

6 Likes

Yep. Fark you’d need to have a full compliment of defenders at the top of their game to counter that.

IMO its not the just the forward personel.

Its the style.

To me it seems a continuation/ possible step up on the Geelong corridor style that Hird and then more strongly Thompson had them playing in 2014. Theres more run and carry of half back than 2014.

Interesting that Worsfold and the club are keen to get another hard tough running half back.

The breaking lines from half back and forwards cutting angles left right forwards backwards is what is creating the goals in addition to the personel.

Still continues to get a big tick.
We still have poor moments of play during game but it is getting less and less. In that sense, we’re improving. Hopefully that keeps building and we can run with the Bulldogs and Swans all game. That’ll be our next big challenge.

The midfield is more consistent by just contesting every play. As long as every midfielder tackles and pressures their direct opponent and we sort of break even through the middle, we are a good chance to to put some scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

The biggest tick goes to how few of our young to middle aged players have gone backwards. Gleeson is the only one I can think who hasn’t performed well. Langford has stagnated but is developing in VFL. Francis and Laverde have stagnated, but injuries are causing that not lack of form.

1 Like

wut?

3 Likes

Um…it’s a little bit the personnel…
I thought it was interesting Woosha having a long chat with Ebert after the game…

To me it looks perfectly balanced. The addition of Stewart is what has madenut even better because it allows Daniher to go up the field but it doesn’t allow the remaining forward to be double teamed. And this is why having Hooker is so helpful because even on stinking nights he allows Daniher to be one on one.
Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust
If Cale don’t clunk it
Joey must

Should have clarified.
I think he’s gone backwards from what he was producing in the last few years.
He’s certainly at an age and game experience where he shouldn’t be ‘developing’ in the reserves.

Quite different setups if you ask me - and it’s hard to separate plan from personnel.

Thompson/Hird generally included forwards like Howlett, Chapman, Monfries, Cooney (and at times guys like Hardingham). Small marking players with little to no pace to them, but who could compete as contested midfield players.
Now we pick 3 quick small forwards who couldn’t win a midfield contest to save their life, but are good at crumbling, goalkicking, pressuring, and can torch teams if they get the ball on a wing.

That’s a personnel difference but also a strategic decision - forward line is for forwards, not for your 3 next best midfielders.

And the other big personnel/strategic change is someone finally recognising that PACE MATTERS

Almost all the guys who’ve come in this year - Stewart (for his height), Bellcho (compared to Leuenberger), Green, McKenna, McGrath - have one common feature. SPEEEEEED.

2 Likes

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. It’s not often you see a coach doing that with an opposition player straight after a game.

Had 4 odd years together at WCE.

1 Like