John Worsfold

I’m a huge fan of this also.

I heard a story on Friday night from someone, I won’t say who but let’s just say he’d know worsfold well

Says woosha is obsessed with winning and is the craziest man he’s ever met. I thought this was the interesting part but. When David wirrpanda’s mother died, wirra was thiiiis close to quitting AFL and returning to live in Melbourne. The day of the funeral as she was getting buried, wirra turned around - and there was woosha standing there at the funeral, out his arm around wirra and told him everything is gonna be fine mate. Talked him through some stuff. The bloke had flown himself to Melbourne to be there for wirrpanda and basically save his career. Says a lot about the bloke

28 Likes

I’ve heard a few anecdotes which confirm what you’re saying. I didn’t know about that one, but others.

That’s ok to a certain extent, however I would like to think that during the week they have come up a plan to get around the opposition dropping a loose man in defence.

1 Like

I’m sure they have a plan, I think perhaps the players are just starting to know when and how to implement it.

I hope you’re all right, and that it’s just a matter of time.

I just don’t see it yet. He says all the right things.
But so far not much has changed, in terms of how we prepare for lesser opponents.

The only saving grace for yesterday was 7 north players under 10 games, and “resting” cough tanking cough of some senior players.
Otherwise it would have been a repeat of the brissy game, let alone all the other games one could rattle off

Whatever the process’s, the players still aren’t learning from it.
cos 3 weeks ago we lost to one of the most deplorable sides of recent memory, and yesterday is a prime example of a game we would not come prepared for
and yet again they came out and played the exact same way they have in the past, against perceived lesser opponents.

So he may be doing everything he can, but somewhere along the lines, the players aren’t learning, so therefore they aren’t taking him seriously.
so again he has to either start making them take his message seriously, or it’s pointless

you can’t ask for consistency, ask them to not care who the opposition is and turn up and play with the same endevour as they had last week, then when they continually don’t do it, do nothing about it, other than saying we will move on and learn from this. cos they simply aren’t learning.

As darli said in reply to me bringing this up before, that worsfold does make a point of it prior to games, they had the cameras in the rooms, and you’re right he did bring it up this time, and prolly previously.

It was an actual focus, yet the players still came out and performed exactly like they have on previous occassions in similar situations.
so again there’s a disconnect there from what he and the coaches want, to what the players end up producing.
and at present it’s not getting fixed, it’s just continuing on with bad habits and behaviours,
so something has to give IMO. otherwise the same mistakes will flow onto next year, and the year after, just like it has for the last 15 odd years.

1 Like

Blitz makes me stupider everyday.

8 Likes

They need to start taking stats on coaches. Woosha would be leading the league in circumventing stupid questions

5 Likes

Woosha has a quiet strength and a steely resolve.

He is all about positive talk and instilling belief.our A game is awesome.

Maybe it’s not about having a strong plan B, but more about getting our A game going more often and for longer.

What is stupid about it?
Would you not say motivation is a key component of coaching?
How can you explain how we came out yesterday as flat as a tack and refused to do the hard stuff early on. With finals on the line we should come out firing from the first bounce.
Still think 90% of our problems come above the shoulders because the talent is there and it’s throughout the club as our VFL team has shown aswell.

3 Likes

I’ve already given my opinion on this in other threads, and also one on the whole concept of ignoring the fact that there is another team on the ground, and the complexity and chaos of footy.
Now I’ll just snipe, as usual.

2 Likes

what utter tripe

Stop making crap up to justify your shocking negative position on everything. You didn’t like the game just say it, don’t start making up crap.

2 Likes

You accusing someone as being negative!!That’s a laugh, Pot calling the kettle black!

Don’t believe this crap about North are 17th so are the 2 worst team in the league. They’ve list about 5 games by less than a kick, so while they aren’t a top 8 team, they aren’t a geniube bottom 4 team either

3 Likes

Especially considering they quite likely deliberately lost those close ones in order to get a nice draft pick to use for Kelly, or whomever …

2 Likes

Bring on the robot footballers.
You know, the ones the coach can program infallibly.
Then we can purely and simply blame coaches.

ALL teams have off days, times when it’s not working.
The fact that we actually won yesterday is a good sign.
After all, it’s not like Geelong, Adelaide, GWS or Richmond have lost any games unexpectedly this season.

1 Like

Dude I am the last one who is negative about this football side or club. You on the other hand kept screaming for Hooker to play back, would be nice for you to admit you were wrong.

Neither Brisbane or North are deplorable. And yesterday North played well.

Deplorable is Fark Carlton, and that was the worst loss of the year, followed by Melboure…so far !

1 Like

I see a lot of Woosha’s coaching style in your posting. Just sayin

1 Like

There inlies the issue I have. It is above the shoulders.
now while I’ll admit worsfold is at least trying to change that aspect, it’s not translating to the playing group.

3 weeks after one of our worst losses in recent history, they come out and perform the same predictable way, which is not the same way they played last week, or the geelong game, or the west coast game etc etc.

So while worsfold is a step ahead of recent coaches, he can see the issue, and is trying to rectify it, his overall approach isn’t working at present.