John Worsfold

Not all of us will be wrong, just a few.

3 Likes

Before the game they showed some insight into the rooms and woosha speaking to the players. I thought he did a good job in motivating, saying things like how important each contest is, even if you can only effect it in small way. Stressing how important it was to do the small things, the hard things. The players and coaches are well aware of how ordinary they are against week teams, and I believe are doing there up most to change this culture/habit.

I think what it comes down to is been complainant subconsciously, only a couple of players have to be this way for it to ripple through the whole team. At AFL level you only need to be a couple of percent off for a team to look really ordinary. Players often speak of a nervous energy before a big game and how it is often a good thing as it keeps you sharp. On the flip side to much nervous energy can where you out.

I have no idea what the answer is, and I don’t think the players or coaches do either. Perhaps its just a matter of more experience together as a team? Or perhaps more then that?

One thing I have thought of that is huge in other sports like tennis and golf is sports psychology. I have heard of sports psychologist been used in relation to goal kicking. But could it be used for issues like this? Or has it been tried?

Why?

If you don’t know why then no amount of explaining it will work.

I just imagine wooshas “look” to be that of @riolio avatar pic. It’s kinda of like “you ■■■■■■■ idiot”

Remember when we couldn’t get a player to kick over 35 goals for fkn years? This year, we’re gonna get 4 blokes kick back over 35

Tippa will most likely get to somewhere around 35

Hooker and raz will kick 40+

Joe will be nudging 60

It’s actually fkn unbelievable to think how good our forward line is now

32 Likes

Stewart as a late-comer will add another 20 himself.

3 Likes

5 rounds plus 4 finals.

Yep I reckon Big Boi could crack 35 goals in that time frame.

7 Likes

Yet there are many who don’t have a clue and won’t go anywhere near acknowledging that Worsfold and his crew can actually coach. There are certain tremendous credentials tucked away in Woosha’s arsenal that are too subtle for the critics to see.

1 Like

Yes it is a little. But his point is that he’s brought together an incongruous collection of players and made that forward line work remarkably well and remarkably quickly.

His statement is slightly exaggerated but it is incredible to think that Fantasia wasn’t even playing forward at the start of last year, Stewart couldn’t get a game last year (albeit in a good team), Hooker didn’t play all year and Green couldn’t get a game at Brisbane. And yet, it’s working really well most weeks.

1 Like

Why what?

For me it just emphasizes how little time Woosha has had, and how it’s still only the beginning. This team barely resembles any team Hird picked, and we are in the 8 deep in the season.
We are no longer a basket case of a club. We play our own brand of footy and we are intent on winning a flag. Joe and Cale look like tearing teams apart like Buddy & Roughead did, and we could be another 25% better 5 games from now.
Players should be drawn to our club and our coach, no doubt about it.

10 Likes

LOL.

People on here seem to have very short memories. We have still had our utterly shambolic moments this season like we do every year.

Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne, Sydney, Fremantle and scraping over the line against Norf this weekend are all examples that we are getting ahead of ourselves to think that we are no longer a basket case.

We have a forward line that is capable of kicking winning scores now but we still have the most slow and inconsistent midfield in the league and a defence that is capable of leaking like a siev on its day and until things like that and the mentality of the team to turn up EVERY week, especially against the ■■■■■ sides, changes for the better, we are still going to only be a team that is capable of scraping into the eight and getting kicked out in week one of finals.

I personally think that what is going to shape us for the next 3-4 years and whether or not we are a chance to change the playing group mentality and club culture around, is souly rested on the shoulders of Disco in this trade and draft period.

1 Like

That’s your opinion

And it’s a funny one

Rudi Webster was one of the very first people who pioneered sports psychology as far back as the late 60’s/early 70’s I think.

He was involved with the great Windies teams of the 70’s/80’s and was credited by Sheeds for his work with the '84/'85 flag teams I believe.

Would be interesting to see whether sports psychology has advanced since those early days and whether it’s still regarded as being an important influence at AFL clubs these days.

2 Likes

LOL

1 Like

The answer is yes.

Psychology is a huge focus in the footy department. We have two staff doing their masters in Positive psych and our players have created their own GRIT program.

It’s still early days - it has only been fully implemented for 18 months, and then the returning guys had to get up to scratch also, but I think the answer is that yes it is still important, yes it has come along way, and yes yes yes, it is definitely a focus of our football department and club as a whole.

Just an edit: the program we are currently using has only been implemented in the last 18 months. there were other sports psychology practices in place before, I’m sure.

22 Likes
2 Likes

That’s great to hear Catherine.

I’ve often wondered how far sports psychology has come since those early days.

Glad to see that the club takes it very seriously too and is proactive in its involvement with the players in that particular field.

Thanks very much for answering our query Catherine.

1 Like