John Worsfold

The ball will be stuck in the same location for 90% of the game.

1 Like

Win a final, and he’s the best of the last few
fo sho

1 Like

I think there’s an overlying “big picture” plan of challenging guys who they think can add more strings to their bows. Playing Zaha inside, Parish outside, Tippa half back almost all last year.

When you drill down to the nitty gritty that ends up with less than ideal match ups or positions in the short term. The idea is you end up with better players with fewer weaknesses.

It doesn’t always work, but it’s a thing. I don’t think it means the coaches or coaching group are missing something or lack tactical ability, rather they’re a bit too stubborn about it. As they are about a few older players and younger players. But I don’t know how long they’ve been making these plans or how big a priority they put on it for the individual players or the team.

I still don’t quite get why you’re so down on Worsfold. I don’t think he’s doing a perfect job either, but on balance he’s doing a very good job.

5 Likes

I agree with everything you posted above, and that’s why I’m ‘so down on Worsfold.’
It’s because I am diametrically opposed to the philosophy that you’ve outlined above.
I believe that as a coach you try to win. First, second, third and fourth, you try to win. On the day.
How you can. When you can.
I’ve already said that. And I get and accept that.
I can even accept that he can’t do both at once.
So, you know, spoon. Fighting for a Final that should have already been locked away.
Okay.

But also, he’d better be right.
And I think I might have a different time-frame to others for it to start working.

1 Like

So do I.

Bovril

We should look at a recently retired assistant who came from one of the great midfields

2 Likes

You think we’re going badly compared to expectations?

You’d be in the 1%

I think we’re going much better than expected.

We’ve “only” won 11, but we’ve been in about 17 or 18 up to our necks. That to me doesn’t say a coaching panel that hasn’t given us a shot. That doesn’t say a coaching panel that gave up on the year. I would like it to have been done slightly differently, and had the priorities different all the way along, but there it is. Despite that dogmatism, the team’s had a good chance to play finals, and probably will.

3 Likes

Who can communicate, knew what they were doing, and didn’t have major substance abuse problems.

Narrows the field a bit.

Why did he retire as an assistant? Perhaps no desire to continue coaching?

1 Like

And add Pendlebury - Some weird posts in this thread.

Has a good knowledge of our current game plan too

I’m like 100% running on empty right now, whos this assistant?

Does Pidge on Betts count?

You guys realise you are actually confirming our point. Yet no one answered the post from bomber5au where he stated numerous other instances where we chose not to tag and it hurt us on the scoreboard.
Of course it’s much easier to just get on the high horse and simply say that he doesn’t know anything about match day tactics

Which team has a hard tag in each and every game ? And sometimes taggers are beaten - Tagger’s have this mythological status on BB where they have super-natural powers.

Hahahahahaha. No.

2 Likes

Tagging is overrated, as this list of successful tagging jobs illustrates.

And we won all of those games, didn’t we?

Tagging is as much about matchups as it is about ability to tag. Even the best so-called taggers had terrible games as often as successful ones.

1 Like

Are you sure about that?

If that was the case, they probably wouldn’t be “so-called” the best tagger.