John Worsfold

Imagine the conniptions when he gets a 2x year extension.

1 Like

FMD!!!
I had to google that!
Thanks.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it with much amusement.

Sums up the state this place will be in around 1/3rd of the way through next season.

Bevo last year and Fagan this year show that it can come together pretty quick. Both men took over clubs in deep crisis and within one season had made great progress. yes Brisbane won the spoon… but surely we can acknowledge they are in a better place now than they have been for a while… and Bevo last year was unbelievable.

Easy to forget that bevo walked into a club in crisis… fans and team divided… then had 2 of their top 5 players go down with season enders before round 5 and they played as one.

Not every coach will have the same results… and for sure our situation is unprecedented but time will tell how long it takes to bring this together.

Problem is it is back to crises mode for them. Players are divided and the coach and club don’t see eye to eye on the playing group and moving forward. Fans are not overly happy going by the Bulldog fans I work with.

Fagan took his side from 17th in 2016 to 18th in 2017 and you rate him higher than J Worsfold? You’ve excused yourself from all serious discussion on this topic from now on.

4 Likes

Yeah but they look better don’t you think?

[/END SARCASM]

If he shows a hardwick like turnaround then I would have no issues with an extension… I just hope that we have learnt our lessons and wait until AFTER the season finishes to make a decision.

Set the benchmarks and then see if he can achieve the required level.

I believe a finals win is a minimum. If he wins a final then I have no problem with an extension and I doubt many others would either.

If, however, we start strong in a soft draw and we ‘jump the gun’ sign him up for 2 years only for it to fall to ■■■■ and then we are stuck with a coach for two years too long again… then yeah ppl will be angry.

Now that I agree with.

No point having good players if those in charge dont give them the right game plan to be successful

Not that we ever end up getting good players in becuase we cant get any trades done

LOL, do you watch Brisbane games? Their list is complete trash. You simply can not compare the quality of cattle… if we are short of players then they are short of a team.

I didn’t say I rated Fagan higher than worsfold, I said that he bought his team together quite quickly. There is a very big air of positivity out of Brisbane for the first time in many years… players actually want to be there and they played some pretty exciting footy to end the year.

Brisbane will surprise a few next year… I highly doubt they will win the spoon again… lots of young talent coming through.

1 Like

The finals performance was disappointing but the players will learn a lot from it.
We climbed 11 places on the ladder this year.
Well done Woosha.

1 Like

They are not the best examples to prove your points, I don’t think.
Brisbane performed worse than any other team this year. Yeah sure - they look better than the year before. But it hardly is an example of a meteoric rise. Lets see how they fare in their 2nd year under Fagan.
The Dogs -an extremely talented list, an innovated game style - swept the comp by storm, won the flag. And now…can’t make a final, due to many reasons - some particularly telling. In fact - I can’t think of any team that would really illustrate your point well. A number of teams have performed better than last year. As many have performed worse.

Edit: farkk I must have taken a long time writing that! all redundant now.

If you look over Worsfold record as coach, rarely does he coach a team to a similar spot on the ladder 2 years in a row

They either get drastically better or worse.

IMO that’s exactly what we need. We simply can’t keep strolling into the bottom 2 of the finals anymore. Make a decision if it’s bottom 4, or top 4, nothing else should be accepted.

Reads a lot like you rate everyone, including Fagan above Worsfold.

All fair.

I think just looking at wins/loss can be deceptive. Last year Hawks made finals, I didn’t think they would, and it papered over some pretty big holes… they made those finals on the back of some extraordinarily situations and umpiring.

This year the bell tolled.

I’m not disagreeing with you but I think the results are just one part of the story. Dogs got worked out for sure and it went to their head… but also their list profile was designed for a tilt in a few years… they fluked one last year and a couple got big heads and their salary cap got screwed as everyone wanted their extra $$. Almost exactly like Hawks in 2008 for me… won a flag a few years too early and weren’t quite ready for it.

I don’t doubt Dogs will be back with a vengeance next year… I have worries about their list though… which makes what Bevo did even more spectacular. No way did he have the best list last year… at all.

I reckon you can pick teams on the rise/fall by looking at far more than results.

1 Like

Agree with all that.

Hardwick is still the same coach he was. Richmond realised they had problems and they went out and got good Assistants around him. Assistants that understand the game is constantly evolving. Essendon have hacks who have no ■■■■■■■ idea. If you change nothing. Nothing changes.
Our coaches have had no success between them.

1 Like

No they wont.

I have seen no evidence to suggest they learn from things like this, even our coaches dont seem to learn. Been playing the same guys who make the same mistakes week after week. We have no plan B and a plan A that is easy to beat

5 Likes