John Worsfold

I don’t see why Woosha can’t take us all the way.
His biggest weakness is match day coaching. But Bomba was weak in that area as well. Bomba just made his team the best so it didn’t matter.

It was a bit like that with Woosha’s West Coast teams as well although obviously not as good as Geelong.
Don’t see why he can’t do that with us

Because he’s a ■■■■ tactical coach. If he stays he needs good support around him.

You should apply for a support role.

1 Like

If I recall, cgates was pretty defensive of Dodoro during the trade period (or just prior) to the point that I actually thought he is a good mate of his.

Maybe he has some inside knowledge

This is purely hypothetical but what sort of **** would divulge anything on here?

I don’t know if he’s the man, but I desperately hope he signs solely so we can all see the Wim / Dingus meltdown.

3 Likes

We should wait until mid year before offering a new contract.
If we have more than 6 wins by the bye round (and that’s being rather generous), then we offer a contract.

So many Blitzers in the coaching box this year it’s amazing Woosha even had a seat.

Doesn’t make the expected move to plug a hole = not a good match day coach. Or is there some method to it that might pay off in a year when we’re actually a chance?

3 Likes

If there is a method for it, how about we wait to see more results than just handing out another contract? It doesn’t take much to lose the playing group.
Hopefully, we’ve learnt from the Matthew Knights debacle.

1 Like

Played finals with a hybrid, untried line up, beat or took to the line the top teams, has coached a couple of gf’s, brought on our young players in a very encouraging way. Seriously doubt he was brought in to be merely a caretaker, and barring absolute disaster the last two years as opposed to the resoundingly positive results, he was always going to get a new contract. The club see he has the players gelling and playing a sensational brand. Nobody but the coaches know what went on in the box this year.

7 Likes

Also, as senior coach he needs to know he has the faith of the organisation. He’s human, will perform better with security, support and the knowledge that the canvas he’s painting won’t be ripped away before he’s even cracked the oils.

3 Likes

Spot on.

It was effectively his first season and he was teaching the players structures and how to work to a game plan.

Why would he want to swing changes all the time when he needs to know who and why the structures don’t hold up.

He is on record as saying this year we will be working on the defensive side of the game, and from the training reports that definitely sounds like it’s happening.

2/3 if our players rotate around the ground as it is so I really don’t understand the calls for swinging changes anyway. It’s not the 1980’s.

5 Likes

It’s nice to be remembered.
If Worsfold is given another contract I’ll be rapt, because it would surely mean that Essendon are smashing it.
I am, in fact, in favour of this.

4 Likes

Post saga, EFC needed a large measure of stability and Woosha has provided that. Our coaching set up has looked a little out of balance, ever since Sheeds lost the plot. Hird was brought in to right the ship after the S.S. Mathew Knights hit the rocks, but he was torpedoed by the U boat, skippered by McDipshit. We were a wreck when Woosha was brought on board.

1 Like

Oh don’t be so serious…!

What about if he’s given one before the 2018 season starts? I fully expect this to occur, rightly or wrongly

Diarising for February?
Well, I think that would be silly and would show that we haven’t learned much.
Given that we don’t play Brisbane in Melbourne this year, I’d hold off until May 13 and make a decision then.

He does, and that speaks volumes.

I’m sick of this win a final mantra we have had coming out of the club the last 10 years

I loved hearing him say “I want to coach the club to its next flag, so maybe I only need a year”

4 Likes

To me, Worsfold seems to have the philosophy:
“If you work under me, I’ll set you up with the resources you need, but from there I expect you all to self-motivate and drive your own outcomes.”

It’s such a light touch approach, that it may seem like Worsfold can’t be held responsible for much.

BUT, I will definitely hold him responsible for WHO he decides to put in positions under him…and I’m most interested in how Skipworth and the midfield go in 2018, because, it is a crucial role, and we are starting the year with minimal track record…was it a good appointment?

Skipworth smashed it as forward coach last year so his resume looks good in my opinion.

When most people look at our midfield they see a group that is going to struggle to match it with the big boys. If he manages to get us to at least break even most weeks and provide defensive running to help out defence then he’s done his job.

I think our midfield will be a strength by the end of next season.

1 Like

Pretty much how i see it too. I wouldn’t say it’s a light touch exactly,it’s just not 80s style senior-coach-makes-every-decision type micro management. He put a line through a few blokes this year and last.