John Worsfold

Two, so as captain.
One decade since as coach.

yep… exactly my point. woosha was also handed a club in pretty good condition off field and had a midfield of cousins, kerr and judd…

But his time at WCE is a perfect example of why we shouldn’t sign the deal now…

After losing his star midfield, he crashed and burned in 2008.09 and 2010. There were whispers he was gone.

In 2011 the Eagles landed and they rushed to sign him up to a long term contract. After losing in a Prelim (his last finals win was in 2011), they then played solidly in 2012 and made another finals appearance however lost badly.

2013 was a dismal season and Woosha ‘stepped down’ and received a payout. Perhaps he was jaded, perhaps he was going to be fired… rumours swirl but end result was that not many were upset he was gone.

After his replacement, 2014 saw Adam Simpson take over and the Eagles climbed the ladder, eventually just missing a finals appearance on %.

In 2015 the new coach took the team to a GF (admittedly they lost badly) and then looked like they were heading for a repeat dose in 2016, when they were unexpectedly beaten at home in the first round of the finals by the eventual premiers.

In 2016 the Eagles finished below the Bombers but managed to win their first final before going down to GWS.

So essentially since replacing their coach, the Eagles have gone 9, 2, 7, 6 and won 4 finals in the process.

John Worsfold hasn’t won a final since 2011 and his flag win was in 2006… a decade ago.

But I don’t really want to debate about it, I just offered an opinion that I wouldn’t be in a rush to sign the bloke before we see some actual results.

2 Likes

Sorry it should have read, his first and only flag as a coached was “over a decade ago”

Hey, I’m notyhing if not meticulous in my grammer and .
Timing.

2 Likes

I’ve got no problem with waiting for his reappointment but I’d hate to replace a solid coach with a crap one.

1 Like

I was told today that Wooshas family have gone to Perth for a holiday and will be back for start of school.

Could be correct or could be incorrect, but the young lady who told me seems to “know things” and she is a journalist and told me this “off the record”

6 Likes

More unsubstantiated gossip in here than goes on in a sauna.

2 Likes

Agreed. However with the coaching pathways etc etc… there are plenty of decent candidates out there imho. That doesn’t mean we should be switching every 12 months etc, but no harm in being aggressive.

Carcella seems the obvious choice considering he has been successful wherever he has gone and has a connection to the club already.

Having said that… if we are sitting top 4 after 14 rounds and playing a good brand of footy… then I have no problem extending Woosha for another two years.

Clearly, you just hate Worsfold.

2 Likes

Less sneaking a peek at nutsacks though, Germans or other nationalities.

1 Like

Oh not you again you really are idiot. Crawl back in your hole

No hate here mate.

Bullshit

Likewise love.

Could be, but no-one has reported yet that Wooshas family have shot through.

And why do you hate him so much ?

He’s a very nice guy. But I think his match day coaching is crapp. He’s a good manager of people but not coach. I’m also worried with his family returning to W.A permanently what affect it will have?

You can’t actually be serious here.

He’s been a guiding force in rebuilding the whole club from the demolition site he took it over as.

The culture, training standards, player buy in & high scoring game plan are a result of him.

To get the players performing as they did as a patched up team in 2016 was amazing. To get the performances which resulted in us making finals again from a team that mostly hadn’t played together and had massive challenges physically and mentally for some again amazing.

He is clearly far more than just a solid coach.

People seemingly jump on him as doesn’t play a tagger (many teams don’t) or make any crazy moves on game day, and then forget everything else that is going to have the team performing as well as it is in the first place via being calculated and structured.

We lost games more so as our midfield wasn’t up to it in ball winning ability or pressure, and often had to drag Raz and TIPPA out of fwd line to help with the latter. This of course all being addressed via the trades and big focus on improvement through middle of ground defence/pressure.

6 Likes

Wut?

Ahhhhh, no.

There are many others who have worked extremely hard to build up the club. Woosha has been a very small part of it.