John Worsfold

The debate is on his coaching ability & the players on field performance not on what’s he has or hasn’t done compared to others in a commercial sense or otherwise.

But I would agree about others having strong impact. X has been immense, as have no doubt many others within the club.

Might have believed it till I checked your posting history.
Litany of bile and abuse re the coaching staff in particular.
That’s when you’re not just having a go at other Blitzers.

Blitz is a discussion forum - you’re just shouting an agenda.

Are you sure you’re not the Lyn troll with a better spellchecker?

3 Likes

Believe what you like. Doesn’t bother me

Doesn’t bother me mate.
Just wish the ignore function still worked.

cgates is simon goodwin

9 Likes

I love how people try to downplay Woosha’s achievements at West Coast by bringing up the fact that he had a top quality midfield, as if that somehow counts against him. That’s like talking down Sheedy by claiming he had Watson, Hird and Lloyd and therefore his coaching doesn’t count.

12 Likes

I think he has done a good job and was exactly the coach we needed. Can he take us to a flag, I’m skeptical because in the modern game you need to be an innovative coach and good tactically. 2018 will be the test, with our list we should be aiming for minimum top 6.

2 Likes

I think the point they make is that it should have been more than one.
Interesting you mention Sheedy because you could argue that about 2000, as well.

If you felt strongly enough about it.
Which I certainly don’t.

He is a solid coach. Nothing more until we stop losing games we should win, find a way to not leak a farking million goals when the opposition get momentum and you know - win a final.

19 Likes

Sheedy should have won three in a row — 1999, 2000 and 2001 — but didn’t. Thus he relegated himself to the runner-up position in the Essendon coaching ladder. He won four premierships as coach: his superior, as he himself would admit, was old Sylvannus (this prick of a yankee swear filter still won’t let me type his first name) who also won four premierships, but he won them as captain-coach, which is a more difficult thing to do.

As for Woosha: let’s wait and see, eh ? He’s turned a hotbed of legitimate anger into a calm oasis, which in itself is a feat to honour. He may need a little assistance on match days, but that can be organised, if he has the right team of assistants….

Who knows ? We might be coming back here in five or six years’ time, praising Woosha as our new greatest coach ever, for having won four premierships in a row, our first time since 1891-94.

I know, “Pigs might fly,” you say, Pflaps, I mean Cgates. But don’t we have the players for that now ? I reckon it’s worth slinging a pineapple on it. You’d get 2000/1 if you did it now…

1 Like

I think a time machine that can also make the weather ten degrees cooler would cost more than a pineapple.

I heard Worsfold went to a restaurant and ate all the food at the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant

2 Likes

Just for a bit of clarity for that line of thinking. We’ve just had the most even season ever and every single team lost games that they thought they should have won.

1 Like

Hey Wim, as the greatest leader the Liberal Party never had would say: “Please explain.”

What’s a time machine got to do with putting $50 at 2000/1 on Woosha to win Essendon 4 premierships in 4 years ?

Or do you just not reckon our list under Woosha is strong enough to be a chance ?

I was making a funny joke about us winning 2000/01 for fifty dollars.
Wasn’t it hilarious?

I wouldn’t rule out a top 4 finish for Essendon under Worsfold.
I said elsewhere that I consider 13 wins to be the benchmark.
We have an extraordinary forward line.
An excellent backline that’s missing one piece.
A good mix of speed and endurance in the midfield with a question mark over strength.

I don’t care about Worsfold’s personal life.
I have no doubt about him being fully committed to the 2018 season.
I found comments from the club about extending his contract before the season had even started to be concerning though.
I read someone here say he has a performance clause for 2019 anyway.
I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if it Is true then I don’t understand why his contract would be up for discussion at all. Not even a little bit.

But obviously I hope he does well.
I expect the team and the players And the coach to improve on last year’s performance.

TL;DR - Wim hates Woosha and is rubbish at jokes.

4 Likes

Sorry Wim, but it wooshed right over my head.

As for the rest of your extensive post: I agree with most of it, my friend. The only place I disagree is with your benchmark of 13. I find it a little lenient. 16 would be more like it for my (membership) money. That’s almost 3 wins from every 4 games, I know — but it’s time we got serious about winning again.

1 Like

Let’s face it. No one has been able to stop Essington showing up when we play lower ranked teams. Oh and the Swans.

I have to admit, my opinion of woosha is clouded by the debacle of that final. We were totally and utterly unprepared, outplayed and out coached. We made good progress at times during the year. He helped to get our brand back on track.

Having said that i cant see giving him a rating above solid after that final.

16 Likes

16 wins? Good luck with that

I don’t think that is fair. We were in that game in the first quarter, indicating that the boys were up and ready to go.

My opinion of Woosha is clouded by our losses vs Brisbane the last couple of years.