John Worsfold

It might be a half glass full approach, but the biggest issue coming into 2017 was our ability to score goals and be efficient forward of centre. In one season this was rectified and we now have one of the most potent attacks in the game. Yes there are defensive issues, but it was ambitious to think that we could become a brilliant two-way team in basically one season. With the talk of the coaching staff focusing predominantly on our defensive structures and two-way running from the midfield specifically, I think we need to wait until 2018 is done and dusted to fully analyse the job that Woosh and the coaching staff have done in a relatively short time.

5 Likes

Panic Dollars?

1 Like

Yes, but that’s one of the few changes that Blitz/commentators can actually recognise on the day. Most of the matchday moves are way too subtle for armchair experts

2 Likes

Can be done, code for a crypt is free on GitHub.

If Wooshfold was in charge back then Essendon wouldn’t have been 31 points down in the first place.

Possibly.
His ‘kick it to Docherty’ plan would certainly have been less damaging in 2013.

1 Like

No doubt coming up with a new game plan for Carlton is keeping him up at night atm.

I hope so.
Working out how to beat rubbish teams who have spent a lot of time figuring out how to smash your system, rather than just arrogantly assuming ‘the plan’ works in all situations, is something coaches should do, and is something none of our last five coaches over the last dozen years have been very good at.
Friggin’ Melbourne…
Still, though.
When we did put some time into that in 2013, we beat them by 150 odd points.

Wouldn’t that be nice?

2 Likes

We have won 7 from the last 10 against Carlton.

Its hardly something to be concerned about.

2 Likes

Beating fark Carlton is always something to be concerned about.
And it’s one from two.

9 Likes

Its one from one.

It is that.
In a year we made finals we beat them by eight points, and they beat us by 15.

It’s an issue.
And it’s not just down to the current coach at all, but it is an issue for the current coach.
And I really hope that it’s addressed.

Losing to the scum is never acceptable.EVER, and is always something to be concerned about

7 Likes

Can I have a list of sides that it is acceptable to lose to then?

3 Likes

Blues beat Sydney and GWS also

There are days it just doesn’t work for teams & they were not facing the issues we with on returning players.

That game in the wet that we lost brought the class gap between the two teams together. And our inside mids simply couldn’t get the job done - Watson and Hep already battling with getting up week to week as is, and Hocking came in and did next to nothing.

They weren’t the only ones however as many of the team played extremely poorly in the wet with fumbling & inability to get hands on footy plus poor disposal.

IMO Watson should not have played that game and Bird come in for it but they hadn’t started the resting him thing yet, probably as he wasn’t putting his hand up to do so out of pride 3rd game into season.

He also then played week after versus Crows and was pretty much useless after half time and had to be benched most of last quarter. Pretty hard to win games with passengers.

I think giving up a 5 goal lead against an undermanned bottom placed side was more galling than losing the pier to pub to fark Carlton last year.

The lions game was a disgustingly disinterested performance. The second fark Carlton game where tippa got us home was pretty bad too

2 Likes

Yep, the loss to Brisbane was far worse.

We basically let them do whatever they wanted.

The loss to Sydney took me a whole month to get over. In fact I’m still p!ssed at that one.

The awful thing about the Brisbane loss is that mentally strong teams would have been angry about losing the unlosable game from the week before and come out and smashed whoever next week. Whereas we played like millionaires who thought they were above the opposition.

5 Likes

Wow.
Really?

Okay.
Not Carlton, not Brisbane, not ■■■■■■■ Freo at home when you need to win the game to make finals.
Giving away five goals in a row between the third and fourth quarters is not ideal either.

Essendon, and its coach, have a long way to go.
Yes, we’ve improved our list, but if anyone thinks Round 23 last year isn’t relevant, then, ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ me…

2 Likes

You didn’t answer my question.