John Worsfold

We’d be deadly if we had a gameplan. Sign up the Caracella!!!

Woosh to stay on as director of coaching.

Not sure if this was happening last year…
But Bellchambers plays a kick behind the play on the ruck hit out in our forward line.
Haven’t noticed opposition teams running that gameplan but obviously, most other teams have better tap ruckmen.

Worked well last night as we got a few repeat entries from quick kicks out of the pack.

Reckon McGovern was pretty important especially in the 3rd.

“We basically said we have to believe in ourselves. We can’t play safe. We just have to keep playing our way.”

People were unsure about at Brown/Hartley and no Bags.

We backed them in and got a good result.

We backed the forward set up in. We would not have won if Hooker was down back (he was clunking them) or if Brown or Hartley had not played.

Here was my assessment in the team thread.

"Whilst Brown and Hartley arent world beaters, Id expect theyd both be keen to perform.

For me, having them both in helps preserve the Hooker/Joe,/Stewart forward (the best in the AFL?) set up because if it were only one of Hartley or Brown we’d have to hit the panic button and throw Hooker back if they got torched.

Also it gives options for Hurls to attack more.

McGrath and Saad have proven to be able to shut down Betts and Bags struggles on him so whilst I love Bags - Adelaide are super quick with their ball movement - its probably not the best team for Bags to slog against."

1 Like

A point on coaching in general, pertinent to the “no plan B” trope.
It took Adelaide til half time to adjust to what we were doing, and even then it was still basically finding ways to get the ball into Sloane and Gibbs’ hands in better positions.
It took our coaches one quarter to adjust to what they’d changed up.
Coaching on the fly is just not much of a thing any more.

1 Like

Herald Sun reporting Woosha will sign a two year deal this week.

Has done everything right since arriving so well deserved.

7 Likes

lol, that’s standard operating procedure for any team who has someone decent to ruck in the forward line. Put the second ruck in position to mark a quick clearing kick.

I agree but I can’t imagine there’s another club out there chasing his signature. We get flogged in a final again and I’ll be all :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m sure Richmond supporters would be p!ssedd that they didn’t sack Hardwick after all the finals they lost.

1 Like

I’d be waiting til later in the season when we are sure there’s categorical improvement this year, but still happy enough for Woosh, definitely gets a tick so far

1 Like

I’d only extend his contract if we win a final. Otherwise, time to go.

4 Likes

He has done more than enough to justify a contract extension and it should have already happened

The team is constantly improving. It’s about building layer by layer game plan wise and in terms of the squad.

Off a very small sample size of 1 game we’ve seen us run over the top of last years premiers when we had a man down & our best mid all game … and the bleating about us playing too tall fwd is causing massive headaches for opposition teams.

This is not a Knights situation whose game plan was not stacking up and had half the list off side.

It’s an experienced premiership coach whose getting the job done and very well IMO

Winning a final should certainly be the end goal but if we finish top 4 but go out in straight sets we’d all be ropeable but I certainly wouldn’t be cutting him regardless of this “must win a final” line.

We’d likely take stock of the reality that our midfield is still a bunch of kids (Zerrett, Parish, McGrath) & inside mid division not strong enough, address some more key areas like we did this year, be it another experienced inside mid - Sloane? &/or kpd and go again.

5 Likes

His number one KPI must be to win a final. We are not fair dinkum if it’s not. Enough mediocrity.

1 Like

exactly. No need to rush at all

1 Like

That’s cos he’d sold his soul to Santa

1 Like

Is there another club after him?

If he wins a flag with us there will be 17 other clubs after him.

I don’t understand that argument.

It’s not like clubs were lining up for Hardwick before last year.

So why rush the decision.

2 Likes

If he gets us to a top four position there should be half a dozen clubs after him.

I agree that it’s too soon.
Not that my opinion means anything, but that’s my opinion.
It’s not like we’ve ever been fooled by early season form before, right?

But I do think finals is far too late, it’s not fair on anyone. The club, the players, and not least the coach.

I think June is sensible. I accept that’s not going to happen, though.

I do hope he doesn’t already have a one year performance extension on his existing contract, though.
Because how stupid would all of this be if he does? Really stupid. That’s how stupid.

2 Likes