Paul Connors' Kellypalooza 2017

I’d give up parish and a first rounder for him.
he will be the best player in the comp.

Controversial!

Pretty much this. Doubt he will leave now, probably leave at the end of his next contract (2-3 years).

We will need to give up this year and next year 1st rounder and

A) we won’t do that
B) giants will probably want a player as well

As IT said, save yourselves the anger when dodoro “never gets things done”

I reckon if they win the flag he’ll return to melbourne.

What’s the point? You bring in Kelly to improve your midfield and go through his prime years with other guns (parish, Merrett, heppell) getting rid of one of those guns defeats the purpose. If you are going to give up a gum you give up one where we might have a surplus of and that will be KPP (not that it’s a surplus, just got more decent KPP than mids)

1 Like

Didn’t his old man play for North combined with their stupid offer. Not sure I would get involved

2 Likes

I reckon there’s a much better chance of it, … and not just for him.

We should all be praying for a GWS flag ASAP, … this year preferably.

It’s what the AFL want, & until it happens, the comp will be bent towards it happening, … so the sooner it does, the better, … and the better the chance a heap of their players think homeward.

Stewart?

Yep. Lots of links to North, so if the money is also right not sure why he’d go anywhere else.

Anyone think $9m for 9 years is unders? It means he’d start on $700-800k next year - which is only ok considering what he’s shown this year - and end up on $1.2-1.3m in 2026 - by which time your elite players are probably pushing $2m.

1 Like

Because they’re a ■■■■ club that draw about 15,000 people to each game.
Because we’ve got Anzac Day, Dreamtime, some Farmers game I haven’t quite worked out and spongie floors.
Because he can be part of a midfield with Zerrett, Mcgrath, Heppell and Parish for the next 10 years while delivering to ball to Daniher, Tippa, Francis, Laverde and Orazio.

And because I actually think he’ll end up at the Saints. He grew up Bayside and played for Sandringham. And they seem quite good at the whole trading game and they have the money and the means.

1 Like

I dont think people are questioning the value as much as they are questioning the length of the deal.

I still don’t know…

would you rather:

Chris Grant and Brad Johnson (for example) or James Hird?

habib, pls

4 Likes

While I would always say Jimmy in a heartbeat , I’d also argue that Grant & Johnson were stars in their own right. I think its fair to say that Melbourne would be very fortunate if Tyson &/or Salem ever get near that quality. For that matter I think its a long road before Kelly is considered close to that class either.

Totally. Maybe using Hird for the argument was a poor choice given that 90% of this forum would choose Hird…

Also - I doubt they were even in the same draft.

I would happily give GWS our 2017 and 2018 first round picks for Kelly, he’s an absolute stud. We can still use the rest of our lower picks for Mason Fletcher next year under the F/S rule, if he becomes a top prospect in between now and then. :yum:

3 Likes

Of course you would. As much as it would hurt.

That Grant was a star (albeit, not quite Jimmy’s level) makes this a bit silly though. Johnson was quality as well.

Carlton have him in the bag!

A Visy paper one?

4 Likes