Josh Schache

I think every Melbourne team could use him more than us, at the moment. Pies, Dogs, whores, Blues…

Saints are ‘cashed up’ with picks as well, thanks to lolthorn

Is it just me, but does Josh have a bit of a Jack Watts feel about him.

1 Like

Hotel? Trivago

That doesn’t mean much as I have always thought Kreuzer was similar to Josh Fraser but he delivered this year big time and smashed the comp. Schache has plenty of time to deliver.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Did he “not rate him” at 8-12, or “wouldn’t draft him anywhere in the top 50”? Genuinely interested, as around forums the latter views just don’t get expressed, mostly because those who hold such views and express them with solid justification become the subject of ridicule.

1 Like
11 days to the draft: Meet the best forward in the draft Josh Schache Callum Twomey November 13, 2015 7:07 AM

AS THE Brisbane Lions continue to have retention issues with their young talent, their recruiters would have been pleased with the enthusiasm Josh Schache has shown about being drafted by the club.

Schache is a Victorian key forward who has had a standout season. He won the Larke Medal after a brilliant NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, and was seen as a contender for the No.1 pick.

He looks likely to be taken just after that. The Lions loom as Schache’s destination with pick No.2, and he would be pleased with that outcome.

His father, Laurence Schache, played 29 games for the Brisbane Bears in 1991-92 and in his first season led the club’s goalkicking, booting 47 in 17 games.

After leaving the Lions at the end of 1992, Schache played in the SANFL for Woodville-West Torrens. But in 2002, aged 34, he collapsed and died with cardio amyloidosis, a rare heart disease.

Josh was five years old at the time and remembers the tragedy unfolding. He sees the romance in heading to the Lions via this year’s draft and finishing off what Laurence started at the club.

How much value do you place on goals? Because Schache is the forward who amassed more shots at goal than anyone in the draft. He was a regular goalkicker this year, including a record haul of 24 in the under-18 carnival and 34 in seven games at TAC Cup level.

His accuracy in set shots is also terrific, with some recruiters believing the left-footer has the best kicking technique of any draftee who has come through the system in recent years.

At 199cm, Schache has top-end endurance for a player his size (he runs a 14.1 beep test) and he works over opponents. Schache will also likely be called upon to play as a pinch-hitting ruckman in the AFL, a role he took on at stages during the season.

He marks well above his head, added a harder-edge to his craft this season and has dominated plenty of games. He will be a deserving early selection.

At the moment Schache gets most of his shots at goal on the lead or through sheer work ethic by outrunning his opponent. This is a good trait to have, but he’ll have to continue to build up his frame at the next level so he can also be stronger in one-on-one contests. Across the past 18 months he has certainly improved his facet of his play.

Schache has been likened to Collingwood star Travis Cloke for his ability to use his aerobic base to work up and down the ground. He is a better kick for goal than the erratic Magpie, but could become a similar type of forward.

Schache will head to Adelaide for November’s draft with a fair degree of confidence he knows where he’s going. It would be a surprise if he’s not in the top-two and didn’t go to the Lions as the second player picked on the night.

Goalkickers don’t come along often, especially when they’re as tall, athletic and prolific as Schache at underage level. Schache only needs a handful of opportunities to make his presence felt on a game. His all-round forward craft is better than anyone in the draft and he has all the tools to be a powerful key forward.

Big step up from TAC cup to playing against men, especially with the many years of physical development and building their tanks (which was how Schache beat his junior opponents)

Not helped by Brisbane being a rabble and him being the focal point fwd as well as not enjoying his footy that much related to homesickness.

Most talls take a while to hit their straps at AFL level. Where he might be at 23-25yrs old is why you’d get him.

Essendon are not involved in the race for Josh Schache, Rob Kerr.

#NABTradeRadio

7 Likes

I wouldn’t take that as a definitive no. I’d imagine he’d want to focus on the three s’s before showing his cards in another deal.

2 Likes

It was a pretty definitive ‘no’. Sounded like it came with a “pfft” and an eye roll.

So were in it up to our eyeballs then?

3 Likes

You reckon? I thought it was more he wasn’t prepared for the question and he unconvincingly said no.

Hmm, who would be a better crime detective? samwoods or me? Time will tell :wink:

1 Like

We wouldn’t want to worry the triple S with talk of a fourth.

It sounded to me like he said no, not interested.

Cal Twomey is saying that if Schache entered the draft right now, you’d be looking at him in the top 3.

Yet he’s being rated a late first round pick.

It’s laughable really.

1 Like

Used goods. It sucks but that’s the game now.

I dunno Ice, I just rewatched the BTV clip, to me he looked cagey to me. “Nah”, tongue stayed at the top of the mouth, mouth left open like subconsciously wanted to say more, then did a little bob, shadow box style to go to the next question. I’m no body language expert but my spidey senses perked.

Having said all that…I have no ■■■■■■■ idea!

1 Like

So potentially bargain, given talls peak at 24, and 2nd year blues has always been a thing, especially for those who’ve had to pick up their lives and move across the country.

1 Like

I thought the whole point of the Lions getting Schache was that he’d want to stay there.

1 Like

Buckenara states:
Schache is worth a first round pick plus a second round pick or player.
Francis is worth a second round pick.

Both have completed their second years having shown fark all.
Both have similar type of bodies which need time to develop.
Both are homesick, battling personal issues and still in contract.
Both are still rated based on their junior output and draft number.
Schache has played a handful more games which gives a better glimpse into what he is capable of.

Why is it that both players are not rated similarly in terms of worth?

7 Likes