Josh Schache

About $8M left on his contract.

Not really. Steinberg used to towel Boyd up.

I seriously doubt Redpath could play that well on the big stage ever, I didn’t think Boyd could and then he did!

Lol

I am so glad he is not at Essendon. I watched him few times at the Gabba an he is slow as. Soft at the contest to. Sounds like a sook to from what few lions members have said. Hurley or even Hartley will be running off him all day long. Least he has his family to go cuddle him now

I thought Boyd was very good and instrumental in the win… but not BOG and I disagree that one performance justifies a huge contract that also lost them some players too and apparently has left some noses out of joint.

Right now you would have to say the Boyd contract was a blunder.

No way.

Boyds finals series was immense.

No Boyd and I reckon they’d still only have 1 premiership.

He could never play again and he’d be worth every penny.

It’s all about premierships.

14 Likes

Disagree, as we all know Premierships are hard to win. They payed overs, got him to the club, he played extremely well in the finals and they won a flag. Crap, I would take that over getting a Chris Judd and not winning a premiership.

5 Likes

I’m also in the its all about premierships group. He was phenomenal in both the prelim and the Grand Final. Worth every penny, regardless of what happens from here.

3 Likes

Yeah nah his Prelim wasn’t that great and the only reason why he looked good in the Granny is cos he was so bog average all year that a half decent game stuck out like dog balls. Didn’t win em a flag the Umps did

2 Likes

His prelim wasn’t that good?? Who do you think carried the ruck after Roughead was injured early?

2 Likes

He had a very good GF, that’s about it
GOalless in the first 2 finals as a forward, slapped by mummy in the prelim for the three quarters he rucked (and goalless when he was forward at the start)

Just goes to show how much comes down to pure dumb luck. No way they recruited him on seven figures to back up roughead but that’s been the only place he’s had any impact.

1 Like

46 hitouts to 21.

That’s a paddlin’.

If Boyd’s career continues on its current trajectory of flakiness, the dogs lose a couple of players, and they wind down into mediocrity for a while (which is a long series of ifs, I know), I think it’s very likely that in 10-15 years people will look back and say “they never really capitalised on what could have been, and the Boyd contract didn’t help”.

Various contract and salary cap moves Essendon around the turn of the century get brought up on here quite often mostly in the context of “we could have won even more flags, we ■■■■■■ it up” not “well we won one flag so who cares about what the consequences were”.

Afterglows last for a few years, then it could well be regret that there wasn’t more success for a decade or two after that, then it will be ancient history and nobody will remember the context.

1 Like

Yes, but we won three minor premierships in a row. The Doggies came seventh and managed to pull it off. Perceptions around what our team should have done, versus what was achievable for the Doggies is very different. Also, our salary cap issues mostly came about because of deals done after the team was good. This was a move before it, that helped win a flag.

There is also the simple fact it was their second ever flag, and broke a long drought. In that context, getting a win was huge. Secondly, what if they don’t get Boyd? Well, they miss the premiership, and arguably still have a stuffed forward line with no target. Maybe they grab Wright with the compensation they get for Griffen, but who knows how he goes as a sole, young target.

Finally, remember Hawthorn unexpectedly won the flag in 2008. It took them another 5 years to get back into a grand final.

3 Likes

But is it not fair to say that we were the best football team for 3 season and win a single flag and the Bulldogs weren’t even close to the best team and win a flag based on 4 incredible games.

Apples and oranges

Arguably they miss the premiership. The whole debate is predicated on whether or not you think they won the flag because of Boyd. I don’t think scenarios in which they don’t get Boyd and still get games of that quality from a similar player are particularly outlandish. And sure, who knows which tiny change might have meant not winning the premiership, but nobody’s out here saying “gee it’s lucky Murphy did his knee, otherwise the dogs wouldn’t have won the flag”.

That’s why I said if they fall away. If they return to their best and win three flags in a row, of course nobody’s going to regret the Boyd contract. I just don’t think the contract’s worth every penny “regardless of what happens from here”. I think there are very plausible scenarios in which his contract comes to be regarded as something of an albatross.

All of which is a long way from my original contention that Boyd’s grand final game is overrated. But I guess that’s Blitz.