7 premierships
Member of Richmond and Essendon teams of the century
Best promoter of the game ever interstate and overseas
Record coach of Essendon
Inaugural coach of GWS

Dunstall:
Kicked goals

8 Likes

You’re seriously underselling the fine work he has done to eradicate the dribble kick from the game.

8 Likes

Like I needed the AFL to tell me Sheedy was a living legend.

6 Likes

Top 20 weird and wonderful Kevin Sheedy moments from a lifetime of love for the game
Glenn McFarlane, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
HE’S long been considered a legend of the AFL and now it’s official after Kevin Sheedy was elevated to Legend status in the Australian Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday night.

He is footy’s crazy genius and in a playing and coaching career littered with premierships and individual accomplishments there have also been some hilarious and downright bizarre moments.

GLENN McFARLANE looks back at the top 20 weird and wonderful Kevin Sheedy moments from a lifetime of love for the game.

1. FALLING IN LOVE WITH THE BOMBERS

Kevin Sheedy fell in love with Essendon as a kid and Windy Hill became a second home to him.

“We would go out there every second weekend, nine times a year,” Sheedy said of his childhood. “I’d sit under the clock in the old stand, which unfortunately isn’t there now, and we’d have to leave halfway through the last quarter because I had to get back and sell the paper (Sporting Globe).”

1. OVERLOOKED BY MELBOURNE, BANNED BY THE VFA

Sheedy was zoned to Melbourne, and tried out there, but never felt comfortable. As a 16-year-old he was playing in Prahran’s VFA senior side. In crossing to Richmond the year after, he incurred a five-year VFA suspension owing to the war between the league and the association over transfer fees.

1. TIGER TOUGH

Sheedy fell in love with Richmond the club, and was moulded by Richmond the man (ruthless Tigers administrator Graeme Richmond, that is) almost from the moment he arrived in 1967. He missed the club’s flag that year after injuring his knee earlier in the season but established himself as a key player for the club, and was a member of the Tigers’ 1969 premiership side.

1. ‘■■■■■■ BACK POCKET PLUMBER’

His coaching mentor Tom Hafey once described him as “a ■■■■■■ back pocket plumber” who was at his best when he wasn’t “finessin’”. But he was a much better footballer — especially on the big stage — than the description suggests. He played different roles in the 1973-74 back-to-back flags. If there had been Norm Smith Medals handed out in either year, he would have been a worthy winner. “The funny thing is that Tom Hafey keeps saying I was a back pocket plumber, but I actually kicked eight goals in those Grand Finals,” he said.

He was labelled a “a ■■■■■■ back pocket plumber”by coach Tom Hafey.
5. TEARS FOR TOMMY

As hard as he naturally was, Sheedy could be a softie, thanks to his Irish Catholic heritage. When Hafey left Richmond to coach Collingwood, Sheeds didn’t handle it well. The first time he played against a Hafey-led team was Anzac Day, 1977, and for one of the only times in his life, he was so flustered he kicked the ball the wrong way. Some said there was tears in his eye. The man himself jokes: “I was ahead of my time, they all kick backwards these days.”

1. ALMOST A COMEBACK

Sheedy was appointed non-playing coach of Essendon in 1981, but after five losses in the first five rounds, he threatened to don the boots and make a comeback. It never eventuated as the Bombers went on a winning streak of 15 games to make the finals. He still rates those 1981-82 Essendon teams as among the unlucky sides to have missed out on flags

1. THE POST-GRAND FINAL SPRAY

Sheedy took Essendon to the 1983 Grand Final, but the Bombers lost by 83 points. The coach gave the team an almighty spray at the post-game function, and it set a template for long Grand Final coaches into the future. “I don’t want you to enjoy tonight,” he said. “If it never hurts tonight, then Essendon will never win another premiership.”

1. THE FEUD WITH ALLAN JEANS

Sheedy got into hot water and his feud with Hawthorn coach Allan Jeans escalated when he called for a probe on photos showing Hawks players sniffing from containers given to them by the trainers. He even wanted Victoria Police to investigate. It turned out the substance was only eucalyptus, and Jeans — himself a policeman — never forgave his rival coach, and the Hawks-Bombers war intensified.

1. SHEEDY’S PREMIERSHIPS

Sheedy changed football forever when he switched his team around during the 1984 Grand Final. Essendon was 23 points behind at three-quarter time but stormed home with a nine-goal final quarter to win by 24 points. Lou dubbed it: “This is Sheedys’ premiership, with all these tremendous moves he has made.” The following year’s win over Hawthorn was even more emphatic. Sheedy loved the ruthless streak his team had: “`The thing I will never forget about ‘84 and ‘85 is the fact we kicked nine goals in the last quarter of one game and 11 in the last quarter of the other. They were teams trained to run out the last quarter of the last game of the year.”

1. INDIGENOUS AFFAIRS

Few have done as much for the indigenous cause in terms of football than Kevin Sheedy. His trip north with recruiting officer Noel Judkins to convince a somewhat reluctant and shy Michael Long to come to Essendon was the turning point for him in ensuring the indigenous game embraced its indigenous people. In the almost 30 years since, the indigenous footprint on the game has been extraordinary.

1. A PUNCH, AND THE PUNCHLINE TO A BAD JOKE

Collingwood ended its 32-year premiership drought and Essendon became the punchline to a bad joke — who kicked five goals in the 1990 Grand Final? As bad a day as it was for him, Sheeds threw a punch of his own during what was a wild quarter-time brawl. As the players went for it on one side of the ground, the officials clashed on the other. As the man himself recalled: “I saw a person knock out my runner Peter Power and I had no idea who that person was. In the end, I just gave him a clip over the ears and, you would not believe it, it turned out to be ‘Gubby’ (Allan).”

1. WINDSOCK HI JINX

Before a game against West Coast at the appropriately named Windy Hill, Sheedy ordered that the ground’s windsock be tied down so that the visiting side wouldn’t know precisely where the wind was blowing. The Eagles fumed, and the football world smirked at the Essendon coach’s different methods. “They (West Coast) hadn’t paid their dues,” he recalled. “I didn’t realise what a fuss would be made of it.”

1. THE JACKET WAVE

One of Sheedy’s most iconic moments came just moments after Paul Salmon kicked a late goal to win the Round 16 1993 match against West Coast. In coming down to the ground, he stopped for a moment and waved his jacket wildly to the roar of the crowd. The late Drew Morphett would say: “Look at Kevin Sheedy, I have never seen Sheedy like that, except for those premierships in the ‘80s.” It became a tradition for Essendon and West Coast for years to come.

1. BABY BOMBER MARK II

Sheedy won his third flag as coach with some seasoned stars and a bunch of unheralded kids dubbed “the Baby Bombers Mark II” when Essendon won the 1993 Grand Final against Carlton. Controversially, he left Derek Kickett out of the game, sparking a feud that has only just simmered 25 years later. The 1993 flag came in the Year of the indigenous People, and it was fitting Gavin Wanganeen won the Brownlow that year and Michael Long won the Norm Smith Medal.

1. CREATING ANZAC DAY

Sheedy was the catalyst behind creating the now traditional Essendon-Collingwood ANZAC Day game in 1995, which has become such an important part of the Australian football calendar. The first match ended in a famous draw. “I still think the AFL, Collingwood, Essendon and the RSL should thank Nathan Buckley for what he did in that first Anzac Day match (in 1995),’’ Sheedy would recall. “He had the chance to kick a score and win the game, but opted to do the unselfish thing and kick towards a teammate. And then the siren went and it was a draw.” Sheedy also helped devise Dreamtime, the Country game, and the less successful Eureka Game.

He was the mastermind behind the now traditional ANZAC Day blockbuster between Essendon and Collingwood.

The 1995 match famously ended in a draw.
16. THE MARSHMALLOWS WAR

Sheedy once called North Melbourne officials Greg Miller and Mark Dawson “marshmallows”, saying the two were “softies”. It led to great rivalry and even greater mirth between the two clubs during those competitive years in the late 1990s. It also led to Sheedy being pelted with marshmallows by Kangaroos supporters after the Bombers lost the 1998 qualifying final. Sheeds loved the theatre of it all, and swears it increased crowds in games between the clubs for a period.

1. SEAGULLS AND MARTIANS

He always stood up for his players, even if he felt “the martians” (as he dubbed the umpires) didn’t always. It famously — some might say infamously — happened at Docklands in 2000 when he stormed onto the ground at half time and gave a “throat-slitting” gesture aimed at Eagle Mitchell White. White had had a run-in with Bomber Mark Johnson shortly before the siren had sounded. Sheedy would later claim a “seagull” had flown into Johnson’s eye. He would be fined $7500 by the AFL.

1. FLAG FOUR

After losing what was deemed “the unlosable” preliminary final to Carlton in 1999, Sheedy lifted the Bombers to a premiership in 2000, taking his own tally of flags as a coach to four — the same number as his mentor in Hafey. He couldn’t quite make it five, losing to Brisbane in the 2001 Grand Final.

1. ‘SHOOTING BAMBI’

“Who shot Bambi?” was the question Essendon chairman Ray Horsburgh was asked the day after Essendon voted 8-2 to end Sheedy’s extraordinary 27-season coaching tenure in 2007. After 27 seasons at the helm, the club decided not to renew Sheedy’s contact — effectively sacking him. Details of the meeting were embarrassingly leaked to the media — unsavoury when it concerned a club legend — but through it all Sheedy maintained his dignity and his sense of humour.

1. A GIANT COMEBACK

Sheedy made a comeback as Greater Western Sydney’s first coach and spruiker. When he took on the job, he joked: “Only two people got 27 years, the great Nelson Mandela and myself. He became president of South Africa, and I got sent up the Parramatta River (to coach Greater Western Sydney).”

4 Likes

It still ■■■■■■ me off that this got leaked to the media. What a ■■■■ of a thing to do from a position of such responsibility. Mind you, we’ve hardly gotten any better at it in the decade since.

5 Likes

I always thought of this as payback for the Roger Merrett as hitman comments made in 1983 on the eve of the GF by Don Scott, an uber hypocrite if there ever was one. Those comments and the subsequent defence knocked us a little off balance and handed the Dawks a psychological advantage, one they probably didn’t need. So ‘sniffgate’ was Sheedy’s payback and unsettled Jeans. Payback.

2 Likes

Incredible legacy.

Losing sheedy the way we did, caused serious damage to the club. Surely there could have been a better way?? Who knows.

4 Likes

Amazing man.

Shed a quiet tear watching some of his highlights especially seeing Hird’s joy when lifting the 2000 cup.

Sheeds turned us into a goliath and 75k members after a period of hell few clubs in the entire world ever go through is testament to the work he put in to put us on the map.

I noted with interest his comments about going to the G being a great move for us. Am a massive advocate for a club our size playing at the holy ground in most home games.

Hope it happens.

Thank you Sheeds, legend of the game.

4 Likes

By gee we had a good coach for so long. It was always something we never really had to worry about, (unlike all other clubs who did), and we’ve been put back with the pack ever since we lost him. Congrats Sheeds, a true legend.

6 Likes

The rocket handball should have been at number 1.

Bluey Shelton was his fave player growing up.
And he was responsible for calling Demetriou Vlad the Impaler.

8 Likes

Kevin Sheedy: It’s time to try 16-a-side

30 May 2018 — 7:51pm

Fresh from being elevated to official legend by the AFL, coaching great Kevin Sheedy has called for the AFL to trial 16-a-side in the pre-season games as a measure against the congestion problem and lower scores.

Sheedy also told The Age that he would like to see fewer interchange rotations – backing the views of former teammate and fellow legend Kevin Bartlett – as part of the response to congestion and the lower scoring that has been prevalent this season.

‘‘I want something – less players on the ground, either put two off [from] the wings or put them on the bench,’’ said Sheedy, the four-time premiership coach who was elevated to official legend status by football’s Hall of Fame on Tuesday night.

Sheedy said 16-a-side had to be trialled first before it could be considered as a change for the AFL competition, and this should be done ‘‘In pre-season. You have to trial it first.’’

Sheedy, who played in the VFA at Prahran before crossing to Richmond in 1967, quipped: ‘‘We had a trial [of 16-a-side]. It was called the VFA.’’

Geelong coach Chris Scott has called for the removal of two players per side and playing 16 on the field. ‘‘I think it would make the game better,’’ Scott said last year.

The numbers around the ball continue to be a major discussion inside the AFL executive, which is researching what a good game looks like and then is expected to seek measures that will achieve a better-looking competition.

But Sheedy did not stop at suggesting the trialling of 16-a-side, saying that he also favoured reducing the interchanges allowed from the current limit of 90 a game.

‘‘There’s two things – kick a goal and get off the ground,’’ Sheedy said, referring to the practice of players who kick a goal immediately running off the ground for a scheduled rest. He said he wanted ‘‘less rotations’’, adding, ‘‘I’m with Bartlett on this one.’’

Sheedy’s teams were noted for scoring freely. ‘‘My teams kicked goals.’’

Despite the call for measures to be considered to address the congestion problem, Sheedy said he was not concerned about the overall state of the game. ‘‘I’m not worried.’’

He said the AFL and the game had come so far since West Coast and Adelaide entered the competition.

Sheedy called the Dreamtime game – one of his major legacies in the AFL – ‘‘was building a bridge between Indigenous and non-indigenous Australia.’’

Sheedy, who is still employed by Essendon, where he coached for 27 years and four flags, said he was still focused on building crowds and had set a goal of getting 90,000 to the each of the three games he had helped create: Anzac Day, Dreamtime – which is on Saturday – and the country-themed game between Essendon and Geelong.

Is Sheeds on marngrook tonight? I missed the start and haven’t see him yet

One of the best to ever play the game. IMO. Could do everything.

2 Likes

Sheeds Is Our Father … and Legend, but we knew that.

Congratulations Sheeds. You brought so much joy to fans throughout your coaching years bringing home 4 premiership cups.

Thanks for all you have done for this great game and the Essendon FC.

5 Likes

I will say this since it seemed to be overlooked by everyone else.

He was in line to be selected for Victoria as a leg spinner. He was playing well for Prahran, but Graeme Richmond didn’t want it distracting from his football.

Can you imagine: Sheeds could have been our Warnie before Warnie?

2 Likes

I know he played VFA for Prahran, but my memory says he played cricket for Richmond. District cricket had residential restrictions too.

OK, I probably misremembered that bit. Thanks for the correction. Do you remember how well he went as a leggie?

From the Richmond Cricket Club website

Kevin Sheedy - R.F.C. (251 Senior Games) - R.C.C. (5 Senior Games)
While working on the 2007-08 Richmond Cricket Club scrap book, a game that stirred my historical interest was a minor Twenty/20 fixture where we included the young Richmond Football Club star Brett Deledio.

Our records show that over their 100 year VFL/AFL history the Richmond Football Club and the Richmond Cricket Club have produced dozens of dual senior Footballers and Cricketers.

The Richmond Footballers to play cricket for us include men of great statue in the game. Coaches, Captains, Best Fairest winners, Leading Goal Kickers and many Victoria players have all played dual roles, but one sportsman stands out as a super star both on and off the football field, and he is the man in my story.

Kevin Sheedy’s efforts to become a top class cricketer at Richmond were not helped by the fact that he was one of the best footballers playing in the V.F.L.during the 1970’s, but the countless hours required for football curtailed his opportunities during the cricket season.

Sheedy was an extremely talented leg spin bowler, and it was in the 1976-77 season that he decided to try himself at Punt Road wearing the creams. He had just completed an excellent 1976 football season for the Tigers, playing all 22 games, gaining 18 votes in the Brownlow Medal and winning Richmond’s Best & Fairest trophy.

After his R.C.C debut in the Fourth XI he proceeded through to the 2nds. via the 3rds. His 18 wickets at 19.11 in the seconds, made the selectors take notice.

The clubs 1st XI incumbent spin bowler in 1976-77 was the Victorian player Jim Higgs. Jim took 5 for 90 to lead the Richmond’s attack that helped win Richmond’s second District 1st XI premiership, and was spoken about as an Australian Test bowler. Jim’s enforced absence from the Richmond team, would require a back up spinner, and it was thought Sheedy could be that man.

Kevin’s early games of the 1977-78 season were in the second eleven and once again he performed with distinction, so it was no surprise to see him called up to the 1st XI to make his debut in round 4 when Higgs was away with the state side.

In that debut fixture against Prahran at Toorak Park, a ground where Kevin had represented the V.F.A. side Prahran many times, he bowled six overs and took the wickets of Victorian player Brad Green and the experienced Owen Mottau at a cost of 16 runs.

It was during the January of 1978 that things became both exciting but at the same time messy. Higgs was selected to tour the West Indies with the Australian team (Jim made his Test debut on that Caribbean trip). Sheedy was appointed captain of the Richmond Football Club senior team, but the powers at the football club were not happy, they considered he was spending to much time pursuing a cricketing dream, and history shows that football clubs rarely compromise.

In Richmond’s outright win at Punt Road against Northcote, Sheedy had match figures of 5 for 24 and the club along with Sheedy were looking with great anticipation to the finals that were due to commence in two weeks time.

Kevin was amazed and very disappointed when the Richmond Football Club refused him permission to play in the District Cricket finals. It was felt that as Sheedy was the football club’s new captain he was required to lead the team in the summer practice matches. His plea to play finals cricket was rejected.

Richmond won the semi-final and it is well documented that missing that grand final against Carlton was one of Kevin Sheedy’s biggest regrets during his illustrious sporting endeavours. Richmond went into that game with an all pace attack and were defeated.

Sheedy had played his one and only season of first XI cricket. His contribution in Higgs’ absence was 5 games for 13 wickets at 16.23, not bad for his first try at the top level.

I spoke with Kevin in the club museum several years ago where he told me he was proud to have worn the Richmond Cricket Club colours at senior level and we arranged for him to accept a photograph of the team of that period.

Kevin said “This photograph will show my kids that I did play cricket with Test stars Yallop and Higgs”. I got the impression his children thought he was having a loan of them. Who knows what might have been?

By Ron Reiffel

4 Likes

I was referring to Malcolm Blight. Very funny.

1 Like