Kevin Sheedy - Legend status

l am against anyone changing the fundamentals of the game, like reducing the number of players to 16. So many great wingers suddenly made redundant, not just current players, but the whole history of the position would be betrayed. So that would be a no from me, no matter who suggests it.

The game will continue to do what is has done right from the start, evolve, it doesn’t need any artificial enhanceners. It also doesn’t need to be shortened to 1 hour duration, like X was suggesting a couple of months ago. Leave the game alone, it isn’t broken, so stop trying to fix it, or it will be ruined.

2 Likes

I wonder how many of us have photos like this of Sheeds with our kids when they visited Windy Hill. He always seemed to have time for a chat.

5 Likes

Two direct Sheedy memories.

One was at Windy Hill at training. This was after work when they trained in the evenings. I remember Salmon having fun kicking the ball over the net behind the goals, so probably 1994 or 1995. At the end of training Sheedy came over to my mate and I and started ribbing us and asking if we were Hawthorn spies checking out the boys.” All good fun. I was rapt he came over to say something to us.

The second was when he came to give a talk at university about football. I think some student society organised him to come. He arrived at least an hour late. A stack of videos in hand. It was Sheedy being Sheedy as Sheedy could be, jumping between topics. Footy stuff. Non-footy stuff. Asking if there were any Fark Carlton supporters there and putting them down. Snippets of videos to illustrate some point. I recall one of Wanganeen which showed how he brought the ball in when he went to ground. The point being to illustrate how clever Gavin was as a footballer. The room was packed and the audience was in awe. I didn’t know what to make of it all, but I know loved every single second of it. He was a legend and he was there telling me stuff.

We joke about Myers looking after the kids. With Sheeds it is about him looking after the fans (and players). When he was there you felt you had someone who was looking after our collective backs.

7 Likes

Exactly how I felt…

1 Like

Like so many of us here, I have met Kevin Sheedy in passing a few times over the years.

I still remember talking to him when he’d started experimenting with Scotty Cummings at CHB and he had one of his wonderful, cryptic, slightly whacky explanations for playing a bloke who can kick eight in the backline. I’m a grown up, but again, probably like many of us here, I had a few tears the day Essendon announced he was being moved on as coach.

He’s a really wonderful person, I admire him so much.
Don’t worry about Legend of Australian Football (much deserved of course), he is a great person, so positive, encouraging and has done wonderful things for Australia, let alone Australian football, Essendon, Richmond, GWS, indigenous people and cultural understanding, respect for our service people and so many other good and important things that make this a game we love and a better nation.

Congratulations Sheeds!

12 Likes

^^^Excellent post, mate. Deserves more than just a like.

great article by lloydy in the hun

Matthew Lloyd opens up about his experiences with Kevin Sheedy and what the legendary coach means to him
MATTHEW LLOYD, Herald Sun
June 1, 2018 5:36pm
Subscriber only
IT was a cold, wet and windy night and, because it was my first training session with Essendon, I was petrified at the thought of shanking a kick and putting it into the Windy Hill Bowls Club.

Mark Thompson, Gary O’Donnell, Michael Long, Paul Salmon, Gavin Wanganeen and James Hird were just some of the champions with whom I found myself training at the tender age of 16.

As I took a chest mark and was about to take my first kick, Kevin Sheedy blew his whistle and said: “Lloyd, go and run some 400s.”

After I did three laps, he called me over and asked: “Why do you think I just made you run those 400s?”

Totally overwhelmed, I just shrugged my shoulders before he said: “Never, ever, let me see you mark a ball on your chest again, when you could have marked that ball in your hands and out in front of your eyes, at full stretch.”

He added: “Train for the rest of your career like Mick Martyn is right behind you with every mark you take.”

That message stayed with me until the day I retired.

At the Australian Football Hall of Fame dinner on Tuesday night, Greater Western Sydney defender Zac Williams spoke of the impact Sheeds had on him as a footballer and a person.

Williams copped the nickname “Zac Sheedy” because of the time Sheeds invested in him to ensure he made a career for himself after being overlooked in countless drafts before the Giants’ inception.

Sheeds saw qualities in Williams that he would have seen in Michael Long decades earlier, when he wouldn’t let Michael walk away from an AFL career, which he so desperately wanted to do.

Sheeds not only saw the talent and excitement that indigenous players would bring to his teams, but the opportunities football would give them.

“Make sure you have paid off your house by the end of your career and, if you are fortunate enough, maybe two,” Sheeds would say.

That message would ring in the ears of any player he coached, well before any football message. I have lost count of the players at Essendon for whom Sheeds went above and beyond his responsibilities as a coach to ensure they were at peace with themselves as footballers and people.

It would take a lot for him to give up on someone, much to the frustration of those around him.

When others’ patience had been tested once too often, Sheeds would always look deeper than just the problem that had surfaced at the time.

It was his greatest strength but also a weakness, because it did test relationships, mine included.

Building genuine relationships with players and gaining their trust and respect is the greatest challenge for any coach. Sheeds had this amazing ability to hit you between the eyes with what you needed to be told, but still have you believing you could be best on the ground the following week.

His ability to understand, accept and relate to the different personalities of his players was brilliant. Tactics will always be secondary to relationships when it comes to separating the great coaches from the rest.

Bulldog Steve Kretiuk absolutely terrorised me one day in 1998 at Princes Park, so much so that Sheeds sent man mountain Ryan O’Connor down to the goalsquare to try to get between us and give me some help.

I had an absolute shocker, didn’t handle the close attention at all and was fighting back tears in the rooms after the game. As I was slumped against a wall, I saw Sheeds go over to Dean Wallis and Mark Harvey.

A minute later, Harvey and Wallis told me to follow them to an empty room. I thought I was going to get an assurance that all would be OK, and told they had gone through the same thing as young players, but that’s not what happened.

“If you continue to handle the close attention like you did today, you will not survive in this game for long,” I was told.

“The time has come to toughen up. It’s as simple as that and it’s time to start fighting fire with fire. Never let yourself get treated like that on a football field again.”

I knew exactly where that directive had come from — the back-pocket plumber from Prahran and Punt Rd.

Sheeds knew that he couldn’t fire every bullet and he had Harvey and Wallis fire one straight between my eyes that day.

It was another moment that will stay with me forever.

In the aftermath, I went about it the wrong way at times and lost some games to suspension in the ensuing years, but Sheeds didn’t care.

He knew that I might cross the line occasionally to go about changing the competition’s perceptions about me and, at the same time, build my self-esteem.

What a journey it has been for Kevin Sheedy, and it hasn’t finished yet.

No man has left a legacy on this game quite like he has.

16 Likes

Very, very nice piece.

Thanks for posting @donut .

1 Like

The kid at the bottom left doesn’t look thrilled at all to meet K Sheedy.

Even back in the 90s, the Bowls Club still put fear into the Essendon Football Club

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered whether sheeds current role at the club could be expanded a bit, assisting with development of the younger players or something like that, offering advice, mentorship. Seems like such a great asset to the club and he clearly still has the passion to assist in any way he can.

2 Likes

The Lloyd article is a ripper. It shows there is more depth to Mathew than we had previously been led to believe due to perceptions gleaned from his media profile. The Sheedy anecdotes don’t surprise, but are none the less enjoyable all the same.

2 Likes

So you like him again?

Hunh? Never stopped liking and respecting both of them. You might have me mixed up with someone else.

Nah, pretty sure you’re a regular at sinking the slipper into Lloyd’s post Essendon persona.

Then we will have to agree to disagree, as l reckon l haven’t paid that much attention to it.

Just got the Mrs to get him to do some signatures on the jumpers of little HowMany and I a couple of weeks back when we were terrible. Apparently upon being presented the bombers jumpers and texta he said “Gee, they must really love the Bombers.” I think we’d just lost to Carlton. Lol.

What was the actual leak? The decision before it was announced?

Scary when you put it that way.

1 Like

I wonder where we would be now if he was never sacked. A much better position I would think.

4 Likes