Kevin Sheedy - Legend status

I don’t remember the decision being leaked early, but the details of the meeting, who voted for what, and what was said all came out afterwards. Stuff that should remain totally behind closed doors and at least give the club the appearance of being mildly organised and cohesive. This sort of stuff annoys me massively. Just like the Mark Neeld sacking. We tried to say it was a mutual agreement and that Neeld had decided to do other stuff. A day later, everyone knows he was sacked and we are trying to clarify what we meant by ‘mutual agreement’.

Nothing should come out of the board room that is not the official statement. The official statement should be the straight, honest truth that doesn’t need to be re-defined and clarified after the next day’s newspaper headlines. I don’t need to know how many of the board voted for option A or B, or who didn’t agree. The board voted, the decision was made. That’s why they are there. Don’t use weasel words and state the truth. If board members want to leak to the media because they didn’t get their way in the board meeting, then they are the wrong person for the job.

4 Likes

We’ve had that problem on and off for awhile now. It has been said for a long time - the fish rots from the head.

Except it doesn’t. A Fish will actually always rot from the Gut first.

1 Like

Yes I know that it is just a saying and our guts in a word…

We would be in a much much worse place. Our list was in an absolute mess when he left.

Jobe would never of played again for essendon for starters

bit over the top

Nope, Sheedy admitted to looking to trade Jobe

Sheedy says a lot of things

I am going to have to disagree on this one.
I really doubt we would have been involved in any saga had Sheedy been coach. That alone puts us in a much better position. Are we sure it was Sheedy’s mess regarding the list or was it that EFC was trying to get with the times and hired more coaches, more selectors creating more confusion and therefore giving Sheedy less say?. He always took risks and tried new things. Sometimes didn’t work but a lot of times they did. He would of been blooding a lot of young players til he found the right mix and when he did…watch out the rest of the comp. I don’t think he had the freedom like before to build a squad of winners now its almost all digital who plays where and what players we need. That is not for Essendon. I think we would be a better team had Sheedy stayed. I am happy to be corrected with some intelligent arguments that tell the facts not just conjecture from people that don’t know the ins and outs of EFC. In my opinion Sheedy was outed unfairly from a board that thought they were moving forward. Instead we have gone deep in an abyss and it feels like a hopeless merry-go-round trying to get out of it.

3 Likes

I could have been head coach for the last 12 years and we couldn’t have done much worse. No other club is in a longer finals losing / not making streak than essendon.

As I said previously, he and John Coleman have been the only coaches to win finals in the last 65+ years.

It is good that both are now offical AFL Legends.

Even in his final years he was still playing the old guys like Heffernan, mark Johnson, pen, JJ,Mal Michael.

He would of traded out Hille and Watson, of that I’m positive

There are a lot of things Essendon have done wrong over the years. Getting rid of Sheedy was not one of them.

Fixed

1 Like

The only things wrong with getting rid of Sheedy were:

1. Not doing it a few years earlier,
  2. Bungling how it actually played out, and
  3. The guy we picked to replace him.
3 Likes

Brilliant by Sheeds

Kevin Sheedy’s hilarious response to ANZAC Day booing controversy

By Chris De Silva

12 hours ago

In his 27-year career as the coach of the Essendon Football Club, Kevin Sheedy proved that he was as media-savvy as they come.

Sheedy may have coached his last game for the Bombers over a decade ago, but showed that he has lost none of his quick wit that made him a household name in the AFL over the years.

Appearing on The Footy Show after the thrilling ANZAC Day clash between his beloved Bombers and Collingwood, Sheedy delivered a classic response to the unfortunate scenes at the end of the game which saw Magpies skipper Scott Pendlebury showered with boos.

“I can’t believe they booed their own medallist,” Sheedy joked.

Kevin Sheedy’s name is synonymous with the ANZAC Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood (AAP)

“Everybody thinks they were Essendon people booing. Knowing Collingwood, it would have been Collingwood. That’s how they are. They’re an hour behind.”

Sheedy’s hilarious response to what has turned into a hot-button topic in the AFL over the past week caused the crowd to erupt into laughter, something which continued when the master coach explained how he would coach against Pendlebury.

" He wouldn’t have played a lot of footy against Essendon," he said.

"He wouldn’t have played much. Early in the first quarter, that would be it. We would make sure that he would suffer very early on in the game.

The Bombers launched a passionate fightback but fell ultimately short in a pulsating finish (AAP)

“Of course you can’t do that anymore because it’s such a lovely wonderful game we have created.”

Despite the fact that the Bombers were four-point losers, Sheedy said the result was a positive one for his beloved club.

“It was a great effort to come back,” he said.

“I think in the end Essendon got more out of the game. We were playing a Grand Final side from last year and most people wouldn’t have thought we would have a chance, let alone get within a kick.”

Pendlebury was outstanding all day for the Magpies and finished with 38 disposals (AAP)

This year’s ANZAC Day clash was special to Sheedy as it was the 25th anniversary since the inaugural clash in 1995.

Sheedy played a major part in the ANZAC Day fixture between Essendon and Collingwood becoming an annual date on the AFL’s calendar, and he explained the significance of having a football match played on such a meaningful day for all Australians.

“It’s a very special moment in Australian sport,” he said.

"It’s the time where our fans in sport right throughout the whole of Australia stand to the remembrance of our fallen ones over the many war zones, not just our Anzacs.

Kevin Sheedy has always been a vocal supporter of his former captain James Hird (AAP)

"It’s a fortunate thing that it’s ended up that way. Really all it was is that I never went Vietnam when I was in the army.

“The only thing you probably could do was to give them a game. It was just one of those things where we got it right and the timing was right.”

Sheedy also touched on his relationship with former Essendon skipper James Hird and shut down speculation that he would return to the club in an official capacity.

"I think he’s settling back into normal civilian life after obviously a very difficult time, he said.

"He’s a marvellous young man. To see him comeback from nine or 10 plates put in his skull after that injury in Western Australia, that young man is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

“If he can come back after that, and then obviously go through the supplements saga and the aftermath of that, it’s great to see him back smiling and happy.”

4 Likes

Grrr. It wont play out of Australia. What does he say?

I just edited my post to show the full article - I posted via my phone and it stuffed up.

But he said: “Everybody thinks they were Essendon people booing. Knowing Collingwood, it would have been Collingwood. That’s how they are. They’re an hour behind.”

5 Likes

Anyone just see the story about Sheeds meeting, advising & inspiring an up & coming young Aussie girl Skateboarder on ABC World just now?

Just caught her last name “Wilson”, … can’t find any more about it.

By the living Christ this guy gets around. :laughing:

Just caught the end of the segment.

Hopefully they show it again on the late news.

1 Like

He met her through some sports mentoring program and will pass on advice about the experience he has had in professional sports. He’s an absolute champion! Has time for everyone and anyone!

2 Likes