Kick out Strategy

Our backmen really should consider staying within the goal square when kicking out.

sack kick out coach and rodski for good measure.

Sack Dodoro.

Great thread Jim

I reckon i conservatively see 20 instances a week where a player touches the line. I have only see it called 4 times.

How about a different “Creating New Threads” strategy?

Should try this

I recall Stanton, Hurley and Goddard doing this in recent weeks. Pretty experienced players. I don’t think it’s cost us a goal but it’s only a matter of time.

Goddard seemed to try and take short steps as he went to kick the ball so he knew he was going close, maybe start your run-up at the goal line instead of the middle of the square of you want to hoof it.

Was good to see us make Brissy pay on the weekend when their bloke played on and made a meal of it, Stanton just slotted it straight through. Wouldn’t have made many new fans on blitz if he’d missed it.

Harsh gurge for mine

fkn infuriating when it happens.

Our backmen really should consider staying within the goal square when kicking out.

Sounds like a solid strategy to me.

Harsh gurge for mine

No changes for mine.

This thread would have more legs if it was dedicated to general dumba*ss mistakes by our guys. In the first half on Sunday there was a five minute patch where someone stepped on the line during kickout, someone else crossed into the centre square too early on a centre bounce and Carlisle (I think) gave away a free off the ball. I was tearing the remains of my hair out. Here’s another one - letting yourself get shepherded on the mark. We can all see it coming, why can’t they? And while I’m on my soapbox … did you see the following incident … Stants (I think) had a free about 60 metres out from the Lloyd end. Took his time. The umpire blew the whistle telling him to move it on. Chappy goes strolling around the back, half calling for the ball. This leads Chappy’s opponent right to Stanton’s back just as the umpire’s about to signal play on. So of course the opponent is in the perfect spot to tackle Stants. WTF CHAPPY!! That’s just dumb.

Ok, I’m going now so I’m not going to stop. I once saw Roger Merrett miss a goal from about 1 centimetre out right on the goal line. He’d taken a mark on the goal line and the ump had (rightly, given the way the rules were back then) put him on an extremely acute angle. Roger took the shot and missed. WTF!!?? All he had to do was walk up to the man on the mark and tap it in sideways. I actually wrote a snail mail letter to Sheedy about it (complete with hand-drawn diagrams), telling him that I never wanted to see such stupidity from an Essendon player again.

I could go on, but I think I need to go for a walk and cool off. I love you Bombers, but growing a brain sometimes would be handy.

Humbert how much did you lose this weekend?

I dont think we have a kick out strategy. more often than not the long bombs always go to 50/50s. There should be a strategy in place where we have our big men run to predetermined spots so atleast they are there to compete. There’s a lot more to it than that, but at least get the basics right.

Let’s just say I popped into the TAB to say ‘good morning’ but didn’t pop in later to say ‘good evening’. Which, as you’re no doubt aware from that earlier thread, is just how I like it.

I dont think we have a kick out strategy. more often than not the long bombs always go to 50/50s. There should be a strategy in place where we have our big men run to predetermined spots so atleast they are there to compete. There's a lot more to it than that, but at least get the basics right.
Just happens that those long, to a contest kick-outs end up with our ruckman under it about 90% of the time.

I think we need to work other options into the mix more often. We don’t have many dangerous turnovers from the kickouts (other than the muff-ups), but we rarely get a clean break. But banging long to the big bloke is a pretty reasonable 2nd option.

Aw i was gonna make myself take a deep breath and wait 72 hours before posting about this.

Let’s just say I popped into the TAB to say ‘good morning’ but didn’t pop in later to say ‘good evening’. Which, as you’re no doubt aware from that earlier thread, is just how I like it.

haha well played

I dont think we have a kick out strategy. more often than not the long bombs always go to 50/50s. There should be a strategy in place where we have our big men run to predetermined spots so atleast they are there to compete. There's a lot more to it than that, but at least get the basics right.
Just happens that those long, to a contest kick-outs end up with our ruckman under it about 90% of the time.

I think we need to work other options into the mix more often. We don’t have many dangerous turnovers from the kickouts (other than the muff-ups), but we rarely get a clean break. But banging long to the big bloke is a pretty reasonable 2nd option.

Eternally frustrating. The worst is when they give up on the short option and every player drifts over to one half back flank and they just bomb it in. By the time Hurls/Fletch kicks the ball the entire backline (and the opposition’s entire forward line) is just sort of hanging around waiting for the bomb. Here’s a thought, employ a signal every now and again which means “I’m going to pretend to kick it to the members’ wing but at the last minute I’m going to swing it over to the outer wing” and have three of our quickest players double back and break for the outer wing. We never try a smart set play like that - why the lack of imagination? You’d only do it twice in a game but that’s enough to break things up.