Kicking for Goal

It’s a farking disgrace. It cost us the game tonight and it’s cost us at least three other games this year.

It’s the responsibility of the players and the coaches.

It is just not good enough.

I know we have lost half of our best players.

But any AFL footballer should be able to kick 2 out of 3 set shots from within 30 metres, or 2 out of 3 shots running into an open goal at 30 metres.

We get maybe 1 in 4.

Pathetic.

Lift your game.

That is why the farking AFL changed the rules - giving 30s for the forwards to kick.

Of course that is on the average. It is less for EFC players, more for others.

Yeah, thought about that after I posted. I reckon that is a bigger factor in inaccurate set shots for goal than anything else. It’s why we all watch it and think, “how the fark can I feel like I’d slot that when the best of the best can’t?” The heart rate thing has a real basis in physiological fact. If you’re buggered your coordination from a standing start is compromised. Forwards who are constantly on the move can’t avoid this and that’s more and more the case. I get why they want to keep the game flowing but in this case give the people what they want FFS!

In his early days, Hird was good at the running shots on goal, but sometimes inaccurate on set shots. He practised over and over, probably worked on concentration and improved tremendously .

That is why the farking AFL changed the rules - giving 30s for the forwards to kick.

Of course that is on the average. It is less for EFC players, more for others.

I have never understood missing from a set shot. Never. Okay, my longest kick ever was thirty-five metres (wind-assisted) but...how the hell can you miss a target by that much? I just don't get it. Don't even talk to me about kicks that come off the boot okay but go out on the full. If you missed a field kick target by that much no-one would kick the ball to you, ever. I feel for Joe, I feel for all these guys missing set shots, but I don't understand not kicking it over the goal umpires hat (do they still wear hats?).

I can understand anyone that’s run all day like a mad thing. There’s probably eight sticks in front of him when they’re lining up.

A permanent forward however I don’t get if they miss from a relatively gettable spot. Hypnotist might not be a bad idea.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the room, look into my eyes…

Yep. Wasn’t that the whole reason for Lloyd stuffing around before taking the shot? Getting the heart rate down as much as possible to steady yourself. If nothing else it was great to watch opposition fans groaning about it before the inevitable major score.

When I go down to my local oval I see the teenage footy kids after school:

a. Running laps
b. Lifting weights
c. Discussing nutrition
d. Handpassing in circles
e. Kicking for goal
f. Kick to kick
g. Talking about what the team finance director said to the marketing manager in relation to the ongoing future relationship between the main team sponsor and Head Orange Slicer.
h. Practicing psychological focus

Hypnotist get that person on board.
I suggested that a year ago. Lots of people thought I WAS A WHANKER. I think it is worth a shot.
A UK doctor friend of mine has used it with success in the UK with rugby teams.

We are pretty ■■■■■■■ bad and have been since Lloyd and Lucas, but I’ve watched a few games this year, and it’s not just an Essendon thing. It’s a disgrace.

I have never understood missing from a set shot. Never. Okay, my longest kick ever was thirty-five metres (wind-assisted) but...how the hell can you miss a target by that much? I just don't get it. Don't even talk to me about kicks that come off the boot okay but go out on the full. If you missed a field kick target by that much no-one would kick the ball to you, ever. I feel for Joe, I feel for all these guys missing set shots, but I don't understand not kicking it over the goal umpires hat (do they still wear hats?).

I can understand anyone that’s run all day like a mad thing. There’s probably eight sticks in front of him when they’re lining up.

A permanent forward however I don’t get if they miss from a relatively gettable spot. Hypnotist might not be a bad idea.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the room, look into my eyes…

needs a routine. Pull socks up, toss grass in air, go to a happy place…anything, just don’t think of the kick!

I have never understood missing from a set shot.
Never.
Okay, my longest kick ever was thirty-five metres (wind-assisted) but…how the hell can you miss a target by that much? I just don’t get it.
Don’t even talk to me about kicks that come off the boot okay but go out on the full.
If you missed a field kick target by that much no-one would kick the ball to you, ever.
I feel for Joe, I feel for all these guys missing set shots, but I don’t understand not kicking it over the goal umpires hat (do they still wear hats?).

I suggested that a year ago. Lots of people thought I WAS A WHANKER. I think it is worth a shot.

Not just the misses but the timing of the misses. They always seem to come when we are two down and can get within a kick, or are two up with a chance to separate ourselves. And inevitably an 11 point swing almost always goes the other way from that point.

Yeah so was Sam Newman and a few other current players.
I was being trite, depressive and most lid onnish. It’s a mid winter/bottom of ladder/fark Carlton type thing

Probably happily watching hawthorn

Wasn’t he at the big march prior to the Melbourne game?

Sheeds!

Garry Ablett senior was the master of taking a big hanger, going back and missing a pretty easy set shot at goal.

Probably happily watching hawthorn
You're right. GET HIM!

Vintage Essington in front of goal yesterday.