Kommer Kickflips into the Sunset

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Nick Kommer has signed a new two-year contract, securing the lively forward until at least the end of the 2016 season.

The 23-year-old was drafted from East Perth, and played 19 games in his debut season last year.

Kommer said he was thrilled to extend his contract, after initially being drafted as a mature-age recruit in 2012.

“I‘m really excited to sign on with the club for two more years and hopefully as a team we play a good, exciting brand of football this year,” Kommer said.

“We have a pretty strong midfield so I will keep working up forward and try to have more of an impact on the scoreboard, but hopefully I can push through there over time.”

Senior coach Mark Thompson said Kommer was rewarded for an excellent debut season.

“To play 19 games in his debut season is a credit to the way he attacks his football and he has become an important part of our forward line structure,” Thompson said.

“Nick knows he has a lot to build on, but he has shown glimpses of his potential and we‘re really excited about his future.”

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-02-19/kommer-signs-on-until-2016

Michael Symonds was a horrible, horrible kick Benfti.
Loved that month in 1994 when Salmon was out and he played full-foward and kicked 17.6.

The guy kicked 80.48 over his career. Not Lloyd or Giles standard, of course, but that comfortably puts him ahead of spuds like Darren Bewick and Mark Mercuri.

Yeah, but he had a knack of missing really, really important goals in finals

Some days you just have one too many cones pre game, and the accuracy thing just goes to ■■■■

Kommer will need 5 or 6 games in the VFL before pushing for AFL - I'd like him to be trialled as a midfielder in 2016 - Doubt you can carry a forward who struggles to hit the scoreboard. Dempsey has always been an average kick - Has been tried in the midfield with no success - Had some brief cameos in the forward line and looked useful.

Ambroseeeee

So fogdog are you still saying delist him?

Why? What’s he done to change my mind?

Whats your opinion on Tayte?

Kommer will need 5 or 6 games in the VFL before pushing for AFL - I’d like him to be trialled as a midfielder in 2016 - Doubt you can carry a forward who struggles to hit the scoreboard.

Dempsey has always been an average kick - Has been tried in the midfield with no success - Had some brief cameos in the forward line and looked useful.

Loved that month in 1994 when Salmon was out and he played full-foward and kicked 17.6.

The guy kicked 80.48 over his career. Not Lloyd or Giles standard, of course, but that comfortably puts him ahead of spuds like Darren Bewick and Mark Mercuri.

Yeah, but he had a knack of missing really, really important goals in finals

Is it possible to be a horrible kick but a good kick for goal? :slight_smile:

Yep, but I couldn’t impose my video footage on you!

I know

Will he kick more goals than Coyler (average 1 per game)?

Bring him in *

*when fit.

yep, and Matthew Lloyd never won a best and fairest, neither did Michael Long or Paul Van Der Haar but they are all champions of Essendon

I’m betting they finished top 10 just about every year they played more than a dozen games.

You’re not suggesting that Lovett was in the same league as those players are you?

Oh god no

Regarding Lovett, how he is judged depends a lot on whether you are looking at his best games, or the sum of his output. I would argue that B&F counts are the best judge of a players value. For one, they indicate whether a player is following the coaches instructions. Secondly, performance over a season is valued more highly than a handful of standout games.

Lovett was one of the most exciting players I’ve seen play for Essendon. But as time goes by, people forget that he put in some stinkers, and well as some modest games. If anyone argues that Lovett wasn’t very good, I reckon they need their head checked. But I don’t think he was ever in the best half-dozen players at our club. But a lot of people will probably remember him more fondly than say Mark Johnson, who played in a Premiership and won a B&F. But not many people went to the footy to watch Mark Johnson play.

Nah. Best judge of how the coaches see them. Different thing. Henry Slatts had more B&F votes than Lovett a fair few years.
To me they're both just role players now. Both have their issues they need to work on and neither assured of a role from week to week. One's been here 10 years (and out of contract), one's been here 2? years (and still under contract)..

I agree with that, hence why I would be looking to the coming out of contract bloke in the immediate future (I know Kommer is not fit yet so its not really a point) he has an aweful lot to play for right now.

Dempsey at his best was a very good player, people have totally forgotten that.

He's played most of the year so far. I'm not seeing many indications of it coming back TBH. He always relied a lot on his pace and that's tailing (or the rest of the league are catching up - same difference). When it's gone he'll be absolutely nothing.
yep, and Matthew Lloyd never won a best and fairest, neither did Michael Long or Paul Van Der Haar but they are all champions of Essendon

How many times did vanderharr come Runner up though. (3 times)

I’m betting they finished top 10 just about every year they played more than a dozen games.

You’re not suggesting that Lovett was in the same league as those players are you?

Has this thread just become a ‘consistent plodders’ v ‘excitement machines’ debate?

Regarding Lovett, how he is judged depends a lot on whether you are looking at his best games, or the sum of his output. I would argue that B&F counts are the best judge of a players value. For one, they indicate whether a player is following the coaches instructions. Secondly, performance over a season is valued more highly than a handful of standout games.

Lovett was one of the most exciting players I’ve seen play for Essendon. But as time goes by, people forget that he put in some stinkers, and well as some modest games. If anyone argues that Lovett wasn’t very good, I reckon they need their head checked. But I don’t think he was ever in the best half-dozen players at our club. But a lot of people will probably remember him more fondly than say Mark Johnson, who played in a Premiership and won a B&F. But not many people went to the footy to watch Mark Johnson play.

forward