Lace up Essendon jumpers

Loved those jumpers. Did anyone besides Roger & Merv wear one back in the day?

TO be fair you need a certain physique to look good in these. And they did have a purpose. To make tackling more difficult. Ken Fletcher was the last player I remember wearing one

2 Likes

Tony Elshaug

2 Likes

6 Likes

Yep. Nobby Clarke as well I think?

1 Like

Mmmm,. . The only thing I can think of there, is to make the thing tight, … but that is easily achieved by just wearing a tight jumper.

Well. I stand corrected. Had zero recollection of them being a thing in the DON era.

I think a few of the boys gave them a crack at stages. They became really popular just before they were banned. I actually think Vander wore one at one point.

1 Like

Vanders, Merrett, Merv Neagle, Leon Baker, Tony Elshaug all wore the lace-up jumpers at various stages…

1 Like

Are they gonna come with those cricket style caps they also used to wear in the 1800’s?

I wouldn’t have thought you were so interested in retro fashion bg

The lace-ups went by the wayside in the late-80s IIRC. Pretty sure some players got fingers caught in the laces when tackling, which would’ve caused some bad breaks/tendon damage…

Yeah Robbie Flower broke his finger tackling Michael Turner? Finger got caught.

@Mero

1 Like

Not the only body part got caught by Turner.

3 Likes

Head in the window?!

1 Like

Already in touch with Vic Hill.
They look magnificent.

1 Like

Made of canvas and ability to tighten to your preference made them difficult for opponents to grad and tackle.

1 Like

At the end of 1987 these jumpers were banned.
Kevin Egan advised the staff that they weren’t allowed to use them, and that they should get rid of them.
There were a few different staff in the rooms, boot studders, trainers and property managers.
My dad was one of the property managers at the time.
The staff decided that rather than throw them in the rubbish, which was the suggestion, that they should hang on to them.
My best mate’s mum was a massive Vanda fan so Dad put his hand up for that one and gave it to her.
It hung on a coat hanger in a little Essendon shrine in their staircase for many years.
Eventually my mate got married and had a little bloke of his own.
The Vanda Lace-up was handed down as a keepsake for the newest little Bomber.
One day my mate got word his brother in law was dating Vanda’s cousin.
It was proposed that he should get Vanda to sign the lace-up.
A new Sharpie was sourced, and provided in a plastic bag with the lace-up and dispatched to Vanda’s family BBQ.
Vanda took one look at the lace-up and got all teary.
This is my premiership lace-up. I’ve been looking for this for years. This is mine.
So my mate didn’t even get his new Sharpie back, let alone the lace-up.
He did, however, get a jumper from the club shop which Vanda signed, and then got Matty Lloyd to sign.
He offered to get Reg Burgess but my mate declined the offer, preferring to just get the jumper

14 Likes

That was a superb update Mero. So glad to hear how much the sash meant to him.

1 Like

Website Design