Last Time They Met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEu3byWjbG0

The Knights Era produced some of the best and worst (on field) moments in Essendon history.

That game was hilarious. There’s never been a more unjustifiably arrogant group of supporters than St Kilda fans that year. That game was memorable (not just for Nancy’s miss at the end) but for one of the Grog Squad’s greatest sledges against an opposition group. ‘Take the price tag off your scarves’.

I was with the grog squad that night, hugged everymotherfker in sight when Riewoltd missed. Walked home taking in the cool Melbourne air, post victory bliss.

Hungover as hell the next day.

David Flood and Dean Wallis keeping Lockett to 0 goals.
"The boys from Nhill kept him to nil.”

Flood played on Lockett, Wallis had the fun job of filling the gap in front of Lockett.

Less remembered is Anthony Daniher moving to CHB to beat Loewe.

Is the the game Brad Plain kicked a few up forward?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwYyDWEDss

Neagle, Skipworth, Prime Lovett, Atkinson. All champions.

That highlights package has deludedly convinced me that if we had a decent coach, we could have been a top 4 side.

David Flood and Dean Wallis keeping Lockett to 0 goals.
"The boys from Nhill kept him to nil.”

Flood played on Lockett, Wallis had the fun job of filling the gap in front of Lockett.

Less remembered is Anthony Daniher moving to CHB to beat Loewe.

Is the the game Brad Plain kicked a few up forward?

I did not remember that… but yes. If you consider a six touch game and 2.1 “a few”. It was his first senior game for the year, 15 weeks in.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/051519920704.html

Lockett was coming off bags of 12, 15, 7 and 9. Loewe had kicked 8 a fortnight earlier.

An aside: Plain’s biggest bag was 8 goals versus Sydney, in Sydney. It was a bizarre game that saw us 30 points down in the third before we abruptly kicked 11.2.68 in the last quarter to run out winners 161-130. I was in Dubbo that weekend and could just barely hear the quarterly updates on 3AW (yes, kids, Friday night footy wasn’t always on the radio).

Luckily, as a Sydney game, we got a TV replay on the Saturday morning/arvo :slight_smile:

That was the night Madden put his knee through the throat of Gareth John: he would undergo emergency surgery, be in hospital for four days, and not play for another year. Madden went forward in the last quarter to kick at least the last of his four goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwYyDWEDss

Neagle, Skipworth, Prime Lovett, Atkinson. All champions.

That highlights package has deludedly convinced me that if we had a decent coach, we could have been a top 4 side.

So many good things.

Reimers, Neagle, Atkinson.

Special mention to Winderlich who said if you bastards aren’t going to actually kick the goal I ■■■■■■ will.

Was the story with Atkinson that Hird told him you need to put this much effort in and do that much training and he said thanks but no thanks I’ll just retire instead?

I really rated him. Knights hated him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEu3byWjbG0

The Knights Era produced some of the best and worst (on field) moments in Essendon history.

That game was hilarious. There’s never been a more unjustifiably arrogant group of supporters than St Kilda fans that year. That game was memorable (not just for Nancy’s miss at the end) but for one of the Grog Squad’s greatest sledges against an opposition group. ‘Take the price tag off your scarves’.

I was with the grog squad that night, hugged everymotherfker in sight when Riewoltd missed. Walked home taking in the cool Melbourne air, post victory bliss.

Hungover as hell the next day.

Scored a medallion club ticket for this one. I wasn’t very healthy the next day either.
One of the people in front of me started filming me (and my cousin’s) spastic reaction after Riewoldt missed.

Was the story with Atkinson that Hird told him you need to put this much effort in and do that much training and he said thanks but no thanks I'll just retire instead?

I really rated him. Knights hated him.

Atko. Lived at Watergardens that guy. Reckon I saw him there every time I went in.

Remember how they sooked about not getting 4 points for the Wangarratta nab cup game?

A great win playing some seriously electric footy. We weren’t given much of chance given our form and StKilda being eventual runner up and were the year before. One of the wins in that 3? year streak we had over them

ft. Hirdy commentary

Without a doubt the worst games over the last decade have consistently been the dreamtime games every fkn year.

The absolute worst skilled games you will ever see.

Highlight is when they handed out glow sticks one year and they all ended up getting thrown on to the ground at the ponsford stand end.

Dreamtime 2012…

High scoring game where Richmond hit the front in the last despite our dominance. Enter NLM the sub when his goal from the pocket sparked us to get the win. Back in the days where the forwardline was rolling and we were kicking high scores…Jobe and Stants had it on a string; felt like we were at the peak of our powers that period of 2-3 weeks

1 Like

Classic Crows games…
Hard to go past the Prelim Final comeback in 93! Loudest roar I ever heard when Mercs kicked that goal! Also… 2013 Rd 1 was epic. Was just after all the saga has come out and club was under real pressure. Geez we had some good away wins in 13!

2008 at Etihad for the Nick Gill show, into Hirdys last game as coach is a double that will be hard to beat if we’re looking for worst days at the footy.

What about when they have kicked 16 or so goals without a miss in 2009 I think?

If memory serves me correctly:
'91: first time we ever played them was round 4 at windy hill, think wanganeen debuted that match
'92: salmon kicked 8 At footy park (may have been '94)
'93: fletch played on modra and kept him to 3 kicks and Modra was white hot
‘95: salmon kicked another 8, Lloyd debuted and kicked 3 (first kick first goal) and we won by 122 points
96’: Lloyd BOG, 7 goals and about 300 marks from CHF
'97: sheeds 400th, Harv’s last game, Princess Diana died. Conceded first 5 goals, down by about same amount at HT. Got up and won thanks to Lloyd and Lucas and Moorcroft ironing out Vardy in the 3rd. Got introduced to that cheating ■■■■ McLaren as well.

1 Like

I know there’s some pretty significant reasons for big losses in '15 and '16, but trying to forget the fact they’ve done us the last four times by an average of 75 pts…

■■■■■■■ 2006, they couldn’t kicking straight all season and ■■■■■■■ Henschel and Ken ■■■■■■■ McGregor destroyed us that might. 30.8 they kicked