Latest Bomber Magazine

Ummm, someone is notably absent, like at the Crichton Medal…

I guess they weren’t planning on Hird being around at the time of publication.

Paddy’s in there though.

Ironic that it’s the AGM edition, and in the middle of their membership drive for 2015, it makes me want to change the board to one that is pro Hird and not buy a membership until I see Hird coach a game.

I thought that as well, but it is all about 2014 and not 2015, so I will give them the. Benefit of the doubt. Though you think they could have had a review of french food by James.

They still do a magazine?

One per household I’m lead to believe.

One per household I'm lead to believe.

Nope, got two here.

Nope, got two here.

Old blitz joke.

Nope, got two here.

Old blitz joke.

Ahh, carry on.

Curious as to thoughts on the future of the Bomber Mag here. I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. The current mag takes up weeks of our designers and writers time (most magazines have whole depts producing them whilst we have a couple of staff that have to squeeze it into their already busy workload). The printing cost is high as well and postage is a cost that goes straight from the club to Aus Post (instead of members).

We did the e-version which saves printing/postage but not designer/writer time and also aliennates those that don't have a tablet (or don't like e-reading). I've thought about instead a DVD of all Hangar episodes plus some bonus content, behind the scenes, etc. We'd still have the postage but staff time would be reduced and its cheaper to produce. Plus better for the environment, if you care about that stuff (I do, as a proud Vancouverite!) Members may find more value in it too, particularly the behind the scenes (plus, so much is posted on BTV, you can often miss some great stuff).

But I can also appreciate the value in getting something tangible in the mail, collecting them over the years, etc.

Thoughts?

Let me add that my point isn't to take something away from members. I would never want to outrightly remove it from members without replacing it with something better and of more value. So this isn't coming from a need to cut costs, but rather maximising value.

Just make it available for download Ryan. I haven’t used DVD in years.

P.s. Would much rather that.

Add some extra player interviews on the year ahead and some highlights.

P.s. Would much rather that.
Add some extra player interviews on the year ahead and some highlights of fark carlton players getting smashed

fixed

Need to be aware that a number of older members don’t have tablets and ‘e-versions only’ means they miss out. I had to ring the club to get a few of the April mag sent to people in that situation.

Hmm I don't remember seeing Fletch at the Crichton and being told by the players that he was on holiday...yet there he is  :huh:

I'd be happy to receive a link to a e version of the magazine, probably in a much shorter format with player interviews being the focus.

I believe nearly all would understand if the hard copy disappeared.

Curious as to thoughts on the future of the Bomber Mag here.

Thoughts?

Let me add that my point isn't to take something away from members. I would never want to outrightly remove it from members without replacing it with something better and of more value. So this isn't coming from a need to cut costs, but rather maximising value.

Although it is nice to receive a glossy mag in the post (as recognition of my membership?), to be honest I just skim through it.

I think a downloadable version would be a better compromise for most people (for use on multiple platforms, not just tablet).  Whilst older members may not have the facilities or wish to download, perhaps the club could offer a choice when signing-up each year.  For example, the ability to opt out of receiving the download link but instead receive a token alternative from the club (tea/coffee cup/scarf/keyring etc) to roughly equivalent cost/value to the glossy mag? 

Also bear in mind this online forum probably won't represent the wishes of those not online.

And what happened to the "signed" birthday cards?  As corny as they were, I used to love receiving mine!

Ryan - I used to be a massive fan of the magazine but ever since the hangar premiered and videos became almost a daily thing, the magazine has become fairly redundant.
I don't envy you if you have to make a call on the magazine. But I think the majority would understand if it went digital.
The more coin you can throw at the hangar and BomberTV the better in my opinion!!

nah bugger that - my young fella loves the posters. actually so does his dad.

My mum would be devastated if she didn't get her Bomber mags .. seriously.

There are many supporters who still don't even have a computer.

Blitz is hardly representative of the m/ship base. Maybe in another 15 - 20 years Ryan.

But you would have access to the M/ship data base ... & how many are say 65-70 plus.?

I’d bring back the birthday cards. I don’t read the magazine.

pretty sure sam got one this year. have they stopped them or just for adults?

They must’ve stopped them for adults only.

Maybe they don’t want to remind us about how old we’re getting.