Laverde, Langford and Francis

In some ways, the club has wasted 2 years of his development because they havent picked a position and settled him in. No doubt that he has to take responsibility for his commitment, but the club has flip flopped with making a decision on him. 2 seasons down, we are none the wiser as to his future role. That isn’t his fault.

just like they have franga, langford, hurley, carlisle, redman

Just for starters, he could kick 5 goals 1 behind, like he did in his first year with us, rather than the 1 goal 5 behinds he managed this year.

This kid has just not had an injury free run at it. We haven’t seen him anywhere near his best. You can argue that this is one guy we should not have seen play AFL this year, because he just didn’t have sufficient injury free time to get himself up for it.

2 Likes

Perhaps Josh Jenkins reminds us what can happen if you give the big fellas a few years to grow into the game

4 Likes

Hooker aint going back… come to terms dude.

And Hurley didn’t take time to put it together he showed it from the get go, in his 1st year he put the reigning premier to the sword kicking 4 last half goals (including one monster roost from outside 50) to lift us into the finals.

6 Likes

That if someone else promises them senior game time that you’re not giving them they’ll leave?

2 Likes

There is one way that could happen, and that would be if we somehow find a gun KPF to take his role, either from within, or without.

Cale would/will play wherever he is of most benefit to the team and give 100% regardless.

3 Likes

If franga starts really coming good next season both him and hooker will be swinging back and forward like crazy and the opposition will be sh1tting themselves.

1 Like

Post removed

Bahaha… an evil thought; knowing Dodoro we’ll probably top up with some more KPP’s and unearth another Hooker instead of addressing the midfield.

More seriously maybe we don’t need a replacement and could go with a mosquito fleet midfield. That would surely help our mids.

Well we didn’t really have a choice as he wanted to be traded.

1 Like

I remember at the time, after his first game, coming in here & Blitzers saying we shouldn’t have drafted him coz he’s too old & has too much puppy fat & he’ll never make it.

1 Like

Yeah Blitz never liked Coleman

2 Likes

It’s not difficult to know what needs to happen for Essendon to become a competitive finalist from 2018 and beyond.
However…it’s not easy nor a given but the following players need to start to or return to believing in themselves and showing the associated on and off field assertiveness and leadership that is expected of “men” playing this great game - Hartley, Ambrose, Gleeson, Langford, Laverde, Francis, Redman, Stewart and Colyer.
Their body language during 2017 indicates at some level they don’t really believe that they’ve got what’s needed to regularly succeed in the heat of combat.

1 Like

Body language?

ok

It’s not “combat”.

It’s the entertainment industry.

(As agreed by Hooker in his podcast).

I reckon Gleeson has been outstanding.

9 Likes

Gleeson turned everything around after being dropped and then re-instated. Had a very good last 2/3 of the season.

2 Likes

I was sure this was going to be about being “favoured” by the AFL…

Sorry, carry on.

Francis should be training alongside Ambrose and Hurley all pre season with a focus on one one defending. Focus his game on beating his man.

I think Laverde looks likely to make it as a wingmen/hff rather then a inside mid. Langford does have great vision and agilty in traffic. Just needs some urgency and to work on his tackling.

I also think Begley and Redman will play seniors next year. Beglt midfield/HFF rotation.
I think Redman will be the one that takes the step to the next level. He has struggled with OP in first two seasons but he has developed in the VFL and shown he can play forward and back.

1 Like