Leadership group 2016

Zaka demoted and obviously Chappy outta there for Hocking and Bags.

C- Watson
VC - Hepp
Deputy vices: Hurley/Hooker

Who should be our leaders next year?

I nominate Heath Hocking to go straight back into the mix - leads by example and is the heart and soul of the team.

Hocking should concentrate on playing five consecutive games before thinking about leadership roles.

This is the first year he’s missed significant number of games isn’t it?

I confess I am morose at the moment, and some of the things I’ve caught myself thinking lately make me think “when the ■■■■ did I become my grandpa?!?” but…

The idea of a ‘leadership group’ makes me spew.

The honour of being the captain of this great club is no small thing, and I feel it’s minimised by this now ubiquitous hierarchical structure.

Furthermore, it can also send negative messages to players who have aspirations of demonstrating leadership, perhaps even putting them in a position where they won’t speak their mind when they have things to contribute.

We should simply name a Captain of the Essendon Football Club. I could be convinced we should also name a Vice Captain, but it would take some convincing. I think anything else is an erosion of the team’s dignity. There should never be a ‘deputy-vice-captain’ of anything.

Within the playing group, anyone with leadership qualities will emerge naturally as situations require them to. It doesn’t need to be a public thing. It would also mean that speculation about who should and should not be anointed as part of the ‘leadership group’ doesn’t happen. There’s no talk of demotions, or other negative things. And there’s no extra pressure on some players either way.

We still get to groom Laverde/Langforde. Zaka still feels part of any internal leadership structure. And no-one’s talking about his demotion. Hocking’s leadership is welcomed. As is everyone else who has something to say that will help the team get over the line on game day (or prepare for the match, or even life’s challenges off it.)

This really seems to me to be a far more constructive setup, and the other to have so many potentially detrimental unintended consequences.

Carlol ©
Ryder (vc)
Crammers (group cuddles)

Goddard or Hocking, all the others are to nice to be captain.

Watson has missed 27 games in the same time. Do you want him out of the leadership group as well?

I nominate Heath Hocking to go straight back into the mix - leads by example and is the heart and soul of the team.

Hocking should concentrate on playing five consecutive games before thinking about leadership roles.

2015 - 17 games missed
2014 - 1 game
2013 - 5 games
2012 - 4 games
2011 - 5 games

32 games missed out of the last 111.

28% on the sideline.

To be fair most of those were for Suspension.

2015 - 17 games missed
2014 - 1 game
2013 - 5 games
2012 - 4 games
2011 - 5 games

28% on the sideline.

Only 17% up till this season.

Watson has missed 27 games in the same time. Do you want him out of the leadership group as well?
He was already captain though. My point is, rather than taking on extra responsibility, get on the field first.

Watson didn’t take on extra responsibility whilst injured in fact proved he could lead very well from the sideline throughout the saga.

fair enough

2015 - 17 games missed
2014 - 1 game
2013 - 5 games
2012 - 4 games
2011 - 5 games

28% on the sideline.

So yes was the answer to HAP’s question.

Carlol (c) Ryder (vc) Crammers (group cuddles)

Monfries (Pageboy)

C - Watson
VC - Heppell
Line leaders:
FB - Hurley
HB - Hooker
C - Stanton
HF - Zaharakis
F - Goddard

Classic pazz - picks a forward as a backline leader, and 2 midfielders as the forward line leaders.

If you go down the leadership group road - there are 6 real on-field standouts for me.
Heppell, Hocking, Hooker, Hurley, Watson, and Baguley.

I won’t add Zerrett to that group just yet, but he looks a natural leader and will be our captain at some point in the 2020’s.

need to stop labeling good players as leaders.

maxwell cries because of this thread.

hooker - captain

Then i’d have 3 across the sections, forward, back and midfield.
I’ll assume hooker will go back next year but still his focus should be on the whole team so

either hurley or bags as backline marshals
midfield - hepp if he wants it, otherwise someone else who can both do their job as well as directing others.
forward - that’s the only tricky spot as it’s gonna be one very inexperienced area next year. as a curve ball i’d play watson more as a forward from next year and have him direct the forwardline.

if you wanna give other roles to make others feel more important go for it, otherwise that’d be the set up i’d run with.

hooker - captain

Then i’d have 3 across the sections, forward, back and midfield.
I’ll assume hooker will go back next year but still his focus should be on the whole team so

either hurley or bags as backline marshals
midfield - hepp if he wants it, otherwise someone else who can both do their job as well as directing others.
forward - that’s the only tricky spot as it’s gonna be one very inexperienced area next year. as a curve ball i’d play watson more as a forward from next year and have him direct the forwardline.

if you wanna give other roles to make others feel more important go for it, otherwise that’d be the set up i’d run with.

hurley back for mine, reads play wonderfully.

Hurley,hocking,Heppell,hooker and HARDINGHAM.