Leadership Group 2018 - Announced

You have to pick blokes who are a lock for the 22. Hartley definitely isn’t and I personally don’t think Gleeson is either. He is if he keeps improving, but if he goes backwards at all or has an injury even for a few weeks he’ll have to work his way back into form in the 2’s.

Think leave it as is.

Zaka and Raz next ones in I reckon.

Zaka took himself out of the leadership group, thereby showing his leadership qualities.

2 Likes

He was fairly young when he was first in the leadership group. Why can’t he have developed since then?

I understood Zacka said, he didn’t want to be up Captain or VC or in the leadership group.

1 Like

I’d Choose
Heppell ©, Daniher (VC) Merrett (VC), Hooker, Hurley, Zaharakis, Bellchambers

BJ, can just enjoy his *final year.

Parish & McGrath, probably come in next year.

1 Like

Yeah TBC seems loved by all the players. Unsure about his durability and ability to hold a good level of form though.

Maybe a leadership position might be something that makes him go harder. He was brilliant last year when he was desperate.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to see how TBell goes this season. He’s at the age where many ruckmen start playing their best footy. He played some of his best footy at times last season and it’s the most footy he’s played since 2013.
Sounds like he’s had a reasonable preseason. Finger’s crossed we might be about to see the best of TBell.

2 Likes

After watching the intra-club game today, it would not surprise me at all if Connor is in the leadership group. So vocal and demands the best from everyone. And he wants the ball… winners always want the ball.

2 Likes

Zakka aflx captain, will this mean anything I wonder?

1 Like

Leaders do need to be consistent week in, week out. He performed brilliantly against the AA ruckman, but sometimes badly against muppets. Did his best and worst alternate? Maybe he has a problem recovering from games when he puts in maximum effort? They seem to be reducing his training load during the pre-season. Puzzling.

Maybe he’s finally worked out a way for his teammates to understand what he’s saying

4 Likes

haha :rofl:

Or maybe all the others have worked out what “Gim meh teh bawl yeh feckin eedjet” means?

2 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

I legit reckon he is the most equipped to captain…almost NOW; big call I know.

But he is the most capable moving forward. Can’t help but think that Zerret may be the best captain we will never get. Both those lads are ahead of Hepp moving forward. Zerret should have captained last year.

I think Heppell struggled as an on field leader at times last year.

Ummm, I know we like talking our young blokes up, but do we have to do it by having a crack at the captain?

Heppell may have had some form issues last year, but I dispute any suggestion that he failed in the area of leadership.

7 Likes

McGrath is still learning how to be an AFL player. In fact he’d still be learning the fundamentals of adult life. Give him some space to develop as a footballer and a person before you go anointing him.

Not to mention tearing down our current leader, who was spoken about in exactly the same way around here at McGrath and Zerrett’s age.

5 Likes

Hey,

I’m not trying to be too disparaging. Just generally it’s not good if your captain is losing his position on the day. There were a few too many days last year where Hepp was beaten or his.disposal was poor.

Also, comparing any of the others leadership potential a year in vs McGrath is pointless. There not even in the same ballpark as McGrath.

I’m tipping McGrath is more of an adult than 90% of the list.

I’d be marking Heppell in this season more so than last. Every player that missed 2016 had up and down periods last year. We’ve got great young leaders. No rush for Merrett and McGrath. Both need more footballing experiences. Their time will come.